Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Suspended" Bounces

SOLVED
CTCT Employee

Re: suspended emails

Hello @KellyR018,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I'm sorry to hear that a lot of your emails are bouncing as suspended. I wanted to offer a link to our FAQ on the Suspended Bounce Category, which has detailed information on this type of delivery issue. If you are seeing valid email addresses in this category, you can work with our Deliverability team and they will look into each contact with you. Here's an article to help guide you on contacting the Account Review/Deliverability team.

Jonathan Rich
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media. Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!
All Star

I wasn't sure how long it would take and I have not sent another blast out.  The next one scheduled is the beginning of next week and I will let you know   Thanks

Solution Provider

suspended emails

We have a lot of "suspended emails" in our contact list. The email addresses are valid and they should be receiving the emails campaigns we send out. How does this get resolved if it's not an ISP issue?

This needs to be resolved ASAP! We have many more emails to send out.

Thanks,

Kacey

Hello @Colinkurtis,

I am sorry to hear you have a lot of suspended addresses. We definitely want to be able to address this!

Email addresses are marked as suspended after they have consistently bounced as "non-existent" for a period of time. We put them on suspend to protect your deliverability rate. A common reason a contact could be non-existent is when the ISP prevents emails from outside its servers from getting through. Due to the sensitive nature of the information, you are welcome to email us at social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com with your username, the list of addresses that are bouncing as suspended, and a reference to this post and we can look into it further for you. For more immediate assistance, I encourage you to call our Deliverability team at 866-433-8499. They are available from 7AM to 11PM EST Monday through Thursday and 7AM to 9PM EST on Fridays.

Nick S.
Social Media & Content Manager

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.

What does Suspended mean with a contact?

If I have contacts listed Suspended under Bounces, probably because they have not opened emails, can I get them back. Will they always bounce when I send an email.  How can I unsuspend a contact?

Re: What does Suspended mean with a contact?

Hello @AnneR39. From our FAQ on bounce reasons, "Sending email repeatedly to the same non-existent addresses can negatively impact deliverability. To help with this, addresses that consistently bounce as non-existent are placed on an internal hold (suspended) to prevent us from sending to them again." If you do believe that you have a good email address and you have confirmed the email address with the contact, we can remove the hold. You can email us the address to social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com with a reference to this post.

Caitlin M.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Occasional Advisor

Suspended explanation - not buying it!

Hi Caitlin,

The suspended bounce has been happening with alarming frequency lately. Several of my "suspended" emails are folks who read our emails regularly. One example: . Walter reads almost every single one of our emails since we started with CTCT in 2014! He opened our April 7 email and on the very next one, his address came up as suspended. 

is another fairly regular reader. He read the April 7 email and the very next one came back as suspended. 

- Jim opened an email as recently as two months ago, in spite of several "other" bounces. 

Then, there's . Ronnie is one of our PREMIER customers. His purchase history with us is more money than I make in a year! He opened an email April 8 and is suddenly suspended.

There are other examples. The best one is my March 30 email. This was sent ONLY to the clients who had opened at least 4 of our previous 5 emails. Our open rate on this email was 88%!!! However, 5 addresses came up as "undeliverable/recommened for removal" and a 6th () was "suspended". In all 6 examples, the clients have received and OPENED subsequent emails. 

So... what gives?

Thanks for your time,

Joel

Highlighted

Re: Suspended explanation - not buying it!

Hello @Joel829,

I apologize for any confusion regarding the suspended bounce category. I will elaborate a bit on what @Caitlin_M said. 

There are two types of suspended bounces. The first phase of a suspended bounce is they are put on a hold. This hold lasts fifteen days. A contact will be put on hold after three unsuccessful attempts to send. For security reasons, I removed the addresses you mentioned in your post but I did review each of them. Two appeared on hold and the rest were available to send to. It is possible the remaining three were under a hold beforehand. This would explain why it showed them as suspended and then were opening subsequent emails.

I do not have the ability to see why they were bouncing back as non-existent but it appears to have been a temporary issue on the end of their ISP that has resolved itself. If you ever find more suspended email addresses that you feel are good then email them to us at social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com with your username and a reference to this post. For more immediate assistance you can also call in and speak with our Deliverability team.

Nick S.
Social Media & Content Manager

Advisor

How can you tell the difference between a Suspension that is in quarantine and one that is permanent? I want to continue to clear out contacts in our account that will no longer be sent but I do not want to delete some that may only be temporarily suspended? I do not see anywhere that you distinguish between the two types that is visible to a client. How can we delete only permanently suspended contacts? Thanks
CTCT Employee

Hello @TomK52,

Contacts that bounce multiple times over a period of time are the email addresses we don't send to. Take a look at this article to better understand the suspended bounce category. The best place to look for emails that have been bouncing repeatedly, is to take a look at the "Recommended for Removal" section of your reporting.

If you ever come across email addresses listed as suspended that you believe to be good, please email them to us at social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com with your username and a reference to this post. You can also call in and speak with our Deliverability team for immediate assistance. They can be reached at 866-433-8499 and they are available from 7AM- 11PM EST Monday through Thursday and 7AM - 9PM EST on Friday.

Hayley L

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.