cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Suspended" Bounces

SOLVED
Occasional Advisor

Suspending emails

You should have made it know to your customers/users well in advance of coming up with this "Suspended" bounce, and your remedy is no remedy, very time consuming for small business people already trying to do too much. Thanks for ruining a good thing.
Occasional Advisor

selected for suspension

This contact is on 3 lists, opened most emails, then bounced as non-existent, then opened two emails sent after that and then was suspended????? Maybe you should investigate why it was reported as non-existent and then two subsequent emails were opened?? and then you suspended??? STOP SUSPENDING MY CONTACTS!!!

Re: selected for suspension

Hi @HealthyHairCare

Thanks for posting about this. I am sorry to hear of the frustration it's caused. Let me try to explain this category more for you.

Suspended indicates the address has bounce more than once from any Constant Contact account. When the address first bounces it will show as non-existent and then be placed on a temporary hold for 15 days. During this 15 day period we do not allow any sends to that address. If you do try to send to the address during this time it will show as suspended. If the address bounces again after the 15 day hold the address will remain as suspended but be blocked within Constant Contact. No users would be able to mail to the address using our system. 

Ideally, you should remove this type of address since most of the address are no longer active. If you think you have an address that is active please try to email the user outside of Constant Contact and ask for a reply. Once you receive the reply you can contact our delivery team for help getting the address unblocked. 

Thanks, 

Hannah M.
Community and Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Advisor

Hi - I understand what you are trying to do but I think your own terminology is confusing the issue.  We have a large list and I have been spot checking my Non-Existents and Suspendeds and have had no problem deleting them because they were not opening emails or they were bouncing.  My problem is precisely understanding what you mean by your terms.  Non-existent is an absolute term but you say you will try again in 15 days so it may or may not truly be non-existent.  If someone tries to send it within those 15 days it becomes Suspended but apparently not permanently blocked yet.  If it bounces again after the 15 days the definition of Suspended changes to permanently blocked.  So if I see the term non-existent that is only a maybe.  If I see the term suspended it may or may not be permanently blocked.  One thing that would make it clearer is just use one definition of the term suspended.  If something is permanently blocked just call it blocked rather than change the definition of suspended.

Thanks

Honored Contributor

Hi @TomK52 & @GeraldA48

Apologies for any confusion with our terms. I hope I can explain them to you more effectively. 

Basically the email address you send to goes out on our servers, if the email bounces two times it is suspended. It could have already bounced twice on other accounts before you even sent to it, so that is why it could show up as suspended when you send it.

The best thing to do regarding our Delivery and Bounces is to contact our Delivery Team and you can reach them at 1-866-433-8499. They can go over the terminology with you and let you know what would cause an email to bounce back as non-existent to us.

I hope that helped explain this for you.

Here is a link to our FAQ as well

Visitor

Doesn't make any sense.  This should be based upon my email address as the sender.  Not Constant Contact as the sender.

This is the first time that I have emailed these clients and they aren't getting my newsletter because, in the past, they marked the massage coupon email that they got through Constant Contact and the clean out your gutters email that they got as spam and now just because I am using Constant Contact they aren't getting my emails.

The email should only go into suspension if they marked the email from my email address as spam or blocked me.  My emails shouldn't be supsended because they were annoyed with the discounted oil change email.

And I am not going to waste time getting them to 'talk to their ISP to get Constant Contact reclassified as not being spam'.  If this is a more prevelent issue than the two clients that I have right now I will not be using this service. 

Whether a client has my email marked as spam should be specific to my email address, not every email coming from Constant Contact.  Your policy is like having someone mark a Gmail email as spam and going forward no-one who is using a Gmail account can email that person ever.

Hi @GeraldA48

Sorry about the delay, we had our delivery team take a look at the specifics of your account. From what we are understanding of what you are saying this behavior doesn't seem correct.  We would like to investigate your specific issue deeper. We realize you have already spoken to support and are sorry they were unable to resolve this for you but I think someone specifically trained on this part of our product could be more helpful. Someone from our delivery team reached out yesterday so if you have a chance, please give him a call!

Thanks,

Hannah M.
Community and Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Highlighted

Has anything been done to remedy this?

If another Contstant Contact user sends emails to contacts that happen to be on my list, and they opt out, will I still be penalized by not being able to email them?  Please advise.  Thanks.

CTCT Employee

Hi @KarenH6303,

Thanks for a great question! To "opt out" means your contact has clicked to unsubscribe. Because it happens on an account-by-account basis, a contact who unsubscribes from a single account will still be able to receive email from another account. The only deviation from this is when a contact reaches out directly to Constant Contact and asks to be placed on our Permanent Do Not Mail list which blocks ALL emails from ALL Constant Contact users.

To opt out or unsubscribe is completely separate from an email address being suspended. I hope this helps!

Nichelle M
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Advisor

Hi - I am still confused about this term? Isn't there already a classification of non-existent in the bounces? What is the difference between a contact that remains classified as a non-existent and one that you say is non-existent and then becomes a suspension?