cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Suspended" Bounces

SOLVED

Re: selected for suspension

Hi @TomK52. Great question! There is a bounce reason of Non-existent in your account. After a contact repeatedly bounces as Non-existent, they will then be put on a 15-day temporary hold and will appear under the Suspended category. After the 15-day hold, if the contact bounces again, they will then be marked as permanently Suspended and show as Recommended for Removal under your bounces. I hope this clears it up for you.

Caitlin M.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Advisor

Thank you - that is clearer.
CTCT Employee

Hi @TomK52.

I'm glad we were able to help! Please don't hesitate to reach out again with any additional questions.

Nichelle M

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Highlighted

First campaign - Active customers "Suspended"

Hi there - I am in the Trail Phase of this service and confused about the "bounced / suspended" report (alike many other clients as I learned from this 17 pages thread). My first campaign produced "suspended" addresses from customers we are make business with. We are in contact with these people quite often and I am questioning that Constant Contact will support our constant contacts with our clients. What happend with our CRM database after it as processed with your Ninja algorithms ?

CTCT Employee

Re: First campaign - Active customers "Suspended"

Hi @DocM86,

Thanks for reaching out! We're sorry for any confusion with email addresses that are bouncing as Suspended in your account. Keep in mind that even if you haven't sent to an address before, or if you've sent successfully to an address in the past; if the contact becomes Suspended in any Constant Contact account, it will become Suspended in your account. Simply put, an address can become Suspended from any Constant Contact account sending email to it.

It's also important to remember that when valid email addresses bounce as non-existent, Constant Contact bases this information on response codes from the receiving email server. But you can help your Suspended contacts whitelist Contact Contact so that your emails are delivered. 

You'll definitely want to manage your bounces to keep your email lists clean and your database full of quality contacts. I hope this helps! 

Nichelle M

Occasional Advisor

Suspended when the email NEVER bounced

Why would an email be marked suspended when it NEVER bounced for any reason???  This is a contact who actually opens emails!  I understand that you're trying to protect Constant Contact with the suspend category but reducing bounces, but I've seen quite a few inconsistencies with the "suspend" catefory.  Not happy!!

Tags (3)
Honored Contributor

Re: Suspended when the email NEVER bounced

As far as I've been told, an address should only move to the suspend state after numerous bounces of non-existent.

Never directly, if that is what you're seeing you "should" be upset.

That address that you know can be so hard to collect is just being trashed !!!

Honored Contributor

Hi @LouAnnG9

A contact could bounce as suspend if it also resides in another Constant Contact customer's contacts. They could have bounced in those accounts and therefore are now showing up as suspend in yours. Even though you just emailed them once.  The suspend is not based on each account separately, but cumulative through all accounts. 

If they have opened emails in the past, then when they were sent recently, they must have gotten out on IP addresses of ours that their ISP (Internet Service Provider) didn't recognize. Thus causing the email address to bounce back.

The best thing to do in this case is to send them the emails we've created in this FAQ to whitelist (unblock) all of our IP addresses so that this doesn't happen again. If the contact is suspended in your account, you will need to contact our Delivery Team to release it. You can reach them at 866-433-8499. They will need to see a recent email to you from that email address that shows that they are an active email address.

Thanks in advance!

Established Member

I'm having the same issue. I'm finding regular customers who have never bounces and who open all of my emails suddenly moved into the "suspended" category. I this is a real problem, I'm going to have to go through all my bounces one by one now and indivifually figure out the true status of each one. That's a whole lot of hours I shouldn't have had to use up, CC. Not happy here either. 

Tags (2)

Hi @MarkS7309,

I'm so sorry you're experiencing this issue. 

There are multiple reasons a contact which never bounced before might show as Suspended. A common example is the ISP (Internet Service Provider) the contact is housed on may have updated its security settings to stop certain outside e-mails from getting through. This is common with business addresses. A couple questions/thoughts to consider:

1) Are most, if not all, of the affected contacts from the same domain (example: john@business.com)? If they are it would relate to my previous example of updated security settings preventing the e-mail from getting through. 

2) A contact that might not have shown any problems in your account may have started bouncing on another Constant Contact user's account in-between the time you've sent them e-mails. It's a cumulative system so if they start bouncing elsewhere the next time you send them an e-mail it will show up as bounced/suspended. 

In order to best assist you, we would need to deal with sensitive account/contact information. I recommend contacting our Account Review team when you have time. Their direct line is 866.433.8499 and their hours are 7AM-9PM EST Monday through Friday. 

Nick S.
Social Media & Content Manager