cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

survey limitations

Highlighted
Regular Advisor

survey limitations

Almost a year ago I experimented with using a survey in Constant Contact to create a quiz. At that time there were significant limitations on how long the question could be, how long the answers could be, etc., probably because it really wasn't designed to be used in the way I intended. I set it aside at the time but am trying to return to it now and can't find any documentation on the site as to what these limits may be. I am hoping this means they have been removed (that there are no limits) or they are significantly more. Does anyone know about this? The quiz/survey i want to create is fairly long and elaborate, so I don't want to just experiment--I want to be able to anticipate the problems I'm likely to run into.

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES

Re: survey limitations

Hi @JulieL34

Thank you for coming back to the Community with your newest question. We would be happy to help go over the limitations of creating a Survey Campaign. To begin with, there is a 100 question limit. When it comes to these questions specifically if you are creating a Multiple Choice question, you can have a maximum of 20 responses as a choice. Open ended questions have a limit of 20 lines of text and 1,000 characters. While on the other hand, questions where you are ranking items can have up to 10 items per questions on an 11 point scale. I hope this helps, please let us know if you have any further questions!

Frankie P.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.

Hi @JulieL34

Thank you for coming back to the Community with your newest question. We would be happy to help go over the limitations of creating a Survey Campaign. To begin with, there is a 100 question limit. When it comes to these questions specifically if you are creating a Multiple Choice question, you can have a maximum of 20 responses as a choice. Open ended questions have a limit of 20 lines of text and 1,000 characters. While on the other hand, questions where you are ranking items can have up to 10 items per questions on an 11 point scale. I hope this helps, please let us know if you have any further questions!

Frankie P.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Regular Advisor

Thanks. Do you know if there is a specified number of character for each answer in multiple choice? Also, you say there is a 1,000 character limit for "open-ended questions"--but what if you have a long question, that involves a set-up, for instance, and then also multiple choices to select from. Does that have a lower limit?

Hi @JulieL34

You're very welcome! I'm glad me listing our survey limitations has helped. However, can you please elaborate more on how you're envisioning your survey to be? Having a better understanding how you want to set up your survey will allow us to share the correct information.

Frankie P.

Regular Advisor

We have an article in the form of a quiz posted on our website here:

https://revcom.us/a/572/saudi-arabia-test-your-knowledge-en.html

We want to use the survey format to send it out and encourage people respond. Test their knowledge on the topic at hand.

We do posts like this occasionally, maybe once a year or so and we think they would draw a good bit of engagement from our list.

So I needed to know if we'll have to edit/shorten the text to fit the parameters of the survey. As I mentioned, the last time I tried to do this, some of the answers were too long to fit. It was suggested that a workaround could be to create images of the longer answers, but it seems like too much trial and error would be involved in figuring out how to make them "look right" in the survey format.

CTCT Employee

Hello @JulieL34,

Thank you for the clarification! Yes, you would have to shorten your text to fit the parameters of the survey. I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused, and the workaround should help with this issue but please let us know if it doesn't look how you want it within the survey format. 

Zoe_H

Regular Advisor

Various Constant Contact employees have responded but none seem to be able to simply state what is the character length allowed for survey questions and survey answers. This doens't seem like rocket science. Why isn't it documented anywhere? Or is it, and it's just not turning up in my searches?

CTCT Employee

Hello @JulieL34,

I apologize for not answering that in my first reply. For character length allowed with survey questions they can not be more than 1,000 characters long. For answers you have a choice of 1 line of text/50 characters, 7 lines of text/350 characters, or 20 lines of text/1,000 characters.  If you have more questions regarding surveys, please take a look at our great article with more information. 

Zoe_H

Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!