cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wondering how a unsubscribe happened

Frequent Visitor

wondering how a unsubscribe happened

I get the report about subscriber activity, and the report sent 2/27 listed only one unsubscribe. It was my home email address. I know I didn't unsubscribe, so I'm wondering how that happened. Is there any way I can figure out what happened?
3 REPLIES
CTCT Employee

Re: wondering how a unsubscribe happened

Hello @JeffreyS54,

Thank you for reaching out to the community!

Typically when a person has been unsubscribed and they do not remember doing it there are 2 potential scenarios. First, there are multiple people who use the same email address and one of them had unsubscribed from the communication. Second, and most common, the communication was forwarded to someone using the unsubscribed address and the recipient of this forward had clicked the unsubscribe link. This will cause the original recipient's email address to automatically populate in the unsubscribe screen and if this is not noticed, the person attempting to unsubscribe will actually be opting out for the original recipient.

Did you happen to forward this email or does someone else use this email address other than yourself?

-Curtis P
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media. Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!
Frequent Visitor

I figured those out ... which is why I always delete the bottom of an email (the section with the unsubscribe link) on those occasions I forward it. And, yes, I'm the only one who uses my home email address.
That's why I'm wondering if there is some way at this end (on the website) to see how (and when) someone got unsubscribed. It might make it easier to figure out what happened. Right now I suspecting something glitchy in the Constant Contact software, but I'm open to being proven wrong.

CTCT Employee

Hello @JeffreyS54,

Thank you for your reply!

I have sent you an email requesting more information so that we can look into this further.

We can continue there to keep your information private.

-Curtis P
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media. Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!
Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!