cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

1 contact two lists

SOLVED

Re: Duplicate Emails

What was the answer? It was not helpful that the answer was not given.

I was under the assumption that CC scrubbed the list so that in one campaign it would not allow for one email address to receive two emails....

Tags (1)

Hello @EdwardV20. This is correct. When you are sending a campaign to multiple lists, our system will see that if a contact is on multiple lists, it will only send to them once. 

Caitlin M.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Highlighted
Occasional Participant

The answer is.... a complex as it is... if you  have a guy, we'll call him Bob who has one and only one email address and Bob in two lists, let's say a list called "Guys named Bob," and "Past customers" and you send  out email A to "Guys named Bob," Bob will get two copies because he is in two groups- has two groups listed on his contact record. I know what CC says about how it's supposed to work but believe me, it does not. I don't know if the customer of the person who started this thread was getting the same thing multiple times because she has multiple email addresses. Actually, if that is the case, I can tell you from experience that CC takes care of that. Like if Bob's last name was listed as Craig and I accidentally put in both his work and home email addresses, CC would catch that. I know of what I speak because I had to go and make sure any individual was only on one list at a time so they would stop getting the same email multiple times. I would suggest you find someone to test this out with or if you happen to have multiple email addresses, as most people do, test it on yourself. Lots of big companies don't know that their software has glitches and CC is no different. I'm just glad i figured it out.

Tags (2)
CTCT Employee

Hello @SheilaG84,

Thank you for coming to the community with this information.  We do always try to correct any glitches in our system that we can find, especially any that would be causing a contact to receive multiple emails.  I just tested in my own account.  I put myself on 3 different test lists, with both my work and home email address. I called them test 1, test 2, and test 3, and then scheduled an email to go out to all 3 test lists.  I received two copies total.  One at my work address, and one at my home address.  If you have multiple different email addresses, like a work and a home address, then yes, you will get two emails.  One email at each of those addresses, but the number of lists they are on should not effect how many emails they get, and didn't in my test.

I have personally never seen the glitch you're describing, and I'm not seeing a record of that issue in our historical logs.  If something like that is happening though, we definitely want to get it fixed.  If you can provide us an example of a single email address receiving multiple non-forwarded copies of a campaign, I will be happy to pass that information on to our Advanced Technical team so we can get it fixed.  If you would like, I would gladly invite you to test it yourself as well.

Create a few test lists, with only one of your own email addresses in each of those test lists.  The next time you send a campaign, include the test lists.  If I'm right, then you'll still get only one copy.  Two if you include the one sent by us stating "Your campaign has been sent".  If I'm wrong, we'll have the information we need to track down the bug, and the only one who received duplicate emails will have been you, so no customers will have been impacted.

Aaron_H
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.