Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 contact two lists

SOLVED
Visitor

1 contact two lists

if I have two lists on my account: commercial and residential

and a contact is on both lists

will they get 2 emails if I choose to send a campaign to both lists?

23 REPLIES 23
Occasional Visitor

Multiple Lists

I have multiple lists and there is a possability that a single person may be on a couple different lists. Does anyone know if I decide to send a newsletter to more than one list if a person will receive it multiple times?
Valued Contributor

Multiple Lists

No matter how many lists a contact is on, only one email is sent. The contact will not receive it multiple times.

cathif wrote:
I have multiple lists and there is a possability that a single person may be on a couple different lists. Does anyone know if I decide to send a newsletter to more than one list if a person will receive it multiple times?
Occasional Participant

Re: Multiple Lists

Unfortunately, I know that what Procrastinator says is incorrect. If you think of it, it makes sense that it's not correct. If you have, say, Mary one list A and B and you send to list A and B, she will get one from list A and one from list B. The program does not know if they are about separate things. Maybe that is the way Procrastinator has it set up: List A is about one thing and List B is about another in which case what he's experiencing would be a good thing.

Hello @SheilaG84. If an email is scheduled to send to List A and List B at the same time and a contact belongs to both lists, our system will only send to them once. In Procrastinator's case, they may have copied the email originally sent to List A and scheduled it to send to List B which would send to contacts who already received the original email. 

We have a few different resend options available, depending on what you were looking to accomplish with your email. Let us know what you're looking for and we'd be happy to provide some guidance. 

Caitlin M.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Occasional Participant

I am incredibly discouraged. One of the reasons we use Constant Contact is because they can prevent people from getting duplicate emails if you have people on two or more lists and you only send one email. We have a customer who got a single email from a single send five times. Is this a way to charge for more names? Are the columns in our contacts not matching your formula when you search to ID and remove duplicates before sending? Is it something to do with old customer imports not being compatible with new? I am totally confused. Maybe we all just need one jumbo list or only put our customers in a single category and not any others. When I search the contact by email, the same person is listed with the same email as "4 contacts." This is one contact. Please explain what customers need to do for your system to merge instances of multiple contacts as 1 contact with access to different lists. It would take forever to do this manually. Delete and re-add? I have a feeling that we'll get a lot more complaints and unsubscribes in the next few hours -- but will the contact have to unsubscribe in 4 places? I think maybe if one email equals "4 contacts." Thanks for the clarification.

Occasional Participant

I know. Though I have never called a recipient to see what happened, I see what you are seeing. I know the company tells users that any one individual will not get the same email more than once, to look at what is going on in my system, people are getting the same email multiple times. To further confirm this, I saw that when I started really obsessing about people not getting the same one- making sure no one person was in two groups for instance - I did not see evidence that any individual got, for example, "Email 2" more than once. I don't think the problem is an easy as you suggest and if there is a fix, from what I've seen, no one in the company knows the fix. The only thing I can think of is that CC is trying to be incredibly transparent and is failing to go the extra step and say basically, "this contact is on two lists and could have gotten the same email twice." But your customer is the ultimate answer really. From what I've seen, the fix is to go through and make sure each person is only on one list at any given time. Really it's the most frustrating program I've ever used but if you just accept that it does not work the way they say it does, it's great.

Hi @SheilaG84 

We understand your concern and want to make sure you are having the best experience possible with sending your emails. However our system functions as previously mentioned in this thread. If you are sending a single campaign to multiple lists, our system is designed to only send the email to your contacts once. Though we have safeguards in place, multiple mailings can be sent if there is more than one contact with the same email address. These duplicate contacts can be created if they signs-up more than once through a plugin. We have also seen duplicate mailings caused by other factors such as: role addresses auto-forwarding to another, or even issues with the contact's mail servers or firewalls.

Frankie.P

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Occasional Participant

Merging contacts is the least of the problems with this system- it actually merges great. Sounds like your problem is not duplicates but that the program does not do what they think it does- not send the same thing to those that have gotten it.

Hi @JenniferK528 

Thank you for sharing these details here in the Community. I apologize your contact is receiving multiple copies of your email!  More than one contact with the same email address can cause them to receive your campaign multiple times. While our system can usually sort duplicate addresses, duplicates can be created if a contact signs-up multiple times through a plugin. In fact I can see you have different plugins connected to your account. To help troubleshoot this further and remove these duplicates, I have created a ticket with our upper level of support. A member of this team will reach out directly to you with any further updates.

Frankie.P