cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change email addresses via upload

SOLVED
Occasional Contributor

Change email addresses via upload

I couldn't find an answer to this on the forum, apologies if this already exists out there. 

I have a two-fold need related to auto-responses.

1) In the event I receive an email that say "XXX@company.com no longer works at company, please direct future emails to yyy@company.com". I'd like to be able to upload an excel document to Constant Contact that has the existing email and replace it with the new email contact address. I don't really want to add the contact, but replace the old one so the lists are the same. 

2) In the event that someone wants to be removed, or their auto-response says 'this mailbox is not being monitored', I wanted to know if there was a way to remove mass quantities of emails via upload. In our list, I can get upwards of 50-60 per campaign that are not monitored. It takes a lot of time every week to manually select the contacts and remove them. This would save a great amount of time.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Change email addresses via upload

Hi @MartinT758

No need to apologize! We are always happy to help point you in the right direction. The good news a contact's current email can be updated to a new email address. However if your contacts do not make this update themselves, you will have to do it manually in your account.

You can also removed these auto-response contacts in bulk as well. If you add these contacts into one separate list, you can delete the list at once. You can even take it a step further and upload a copy of this list directly into your unsubscribed list.

Frankie P.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
All Star

Hi Frankie P
I've just read your answer, so are you saying if I had John Smith working for ABC Ltd who's email address is john.smith@abc.com and I find out that he no longer works there and now works at ZZZ Inc - can I do an import (saying I have lots of examples like this) - and upload John Smith | ZZZ Inc | john@zzz.inc

How will Constant Contact know to update the existing entry? Won't it need another qualifier to know to overwrite the existing entry.

In other words, I only want one entry for John Smith, not two.

Can you clarify?

Thanks

Hi @DelC1 

That's a great question! I would be happy to help clarify this for you. Importing a file of new email address will not update the already existing contacts. Instead this upload will create a new and separate entry as our system recognizes contacts by the email address. In order for the new emails to keep the previous email's engagement, you will have to manually update the individual contactThis can be done by searching for your contact, clicking on their name, then clicking on the email address listed.

click_contacts_new_top_navigation_1 (4).png

search_or_browse_name_23 (2).png

contact_details_example_photo_new (2).png

I hope this helps!

Frankie P.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.