Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploading a EXCEL List

SOLVED
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Uploading a EXCEL List

As a new CC user, I've been trying to import an email list from our previous website. Names on that list were already sifted thru and cleared of typos, address errors and rejections for other reasons. The resulting list contained  127 active names, plus approximately 20  more known to be rejected by AOL.

The original list was provided by our  membership department  as an Excel file. After uploading to our CC file,  it contained  more than 300 names, due to listings for married couples with separate email addresses. After  deleting the second address for couples I noticed in another user's  message that

those deletions  cannot be made. (i.e. they are permanently retained in  our new CC email list.

Does that mean we are stuck with paying for any addresses  we  mail to above the 200 message l?

. . . or do I have to delete the entire list and make the changes to the Excel file first  before uploading the  names?

3 REPLIES
CTCT Employee

Re: Uploading a EXCEL List

Hello @CorinneS76,

Welcome to the community!  I know managing contact lists and how they're billed can be a bit confusing at first, and I'll be happy to help explain those interactions.

First, you were correct that our system creates a new 'contact' entry for each unique email address, so a couple with two addresses, is two separate contacts according to our system.  Even one person, that just gives you two different addresses still counts as two separate contacts.

If you delete some of those contacts, that's fine, you can always delete a contact from your account, and they'll be removed.  You'd need to also delete them from the list you're uploading though, otherwise the next time you upload it, you'd just add them back in.  I imagine that's the issue that was mentioned by another user, but in general, there shouldn't be a problem deleting a contact you don't want to send emails to.  You can find instructions for deleting contacts here.

As for the billing, yes, if you want to send to 300 different email addresses, that's how many contacts you need, and would be billed for, even if several are owned by the same person or family.  However billing is based off a range of contacts.  So there's no difference in payment between 150 contacts, and 300.  After the trial period, our smallest package would cover up to 500 contacts, which still gives you room to grow!

Aaron H
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Occasional Contributor

Re: Uploading a EXCEL List:

Sorrry, Aaron. I can't see an  "accepted solution" box anywhere on the page. But your reply ansawere my question, so thanks for your help.

Re: Uploading a EXCEL List:

Hi @CorinneS76

We're so happy to hear Aaron's reply helped! It looks as if his answer was already accepted as a working solution, which is why you can't see the "accepted solution" box. Let us know if you have any other questions on your account.

Frankie P.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.