cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

What are “Active Contacts”?

What are “Active Contacts”?

“Active Contacts” are contacts who have been added to the lists in your Constant Contact account. A specific active contact can be in more than one list, but if you mail to more than one contact list, this specific contact would only get one email. This flexability allows you to segment and manage your contact list however you find works for you.

For billing purposes with Email Marketing, a unique contact will only count once toward your list size so you will only pay for each contact once.

Active Contacts do not include contacts that are on your Unsubscribed list, contacts without  an email address or contacts who have not responded to your confirmed opt-in email. 

How do you manage your contact list? Have you found a way to segment your contact list that works for your business? Share your ideas here!

Hannah M.
Community and Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
4 REPLIES 4

Re: What are “Active Contacts”?

Hi, I don't understand this.  What's the difference between "Active" Contacts and "All" Contacts?  And how do I see which contacts have bounced?

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Hi @KYB582 

Thank you for your question!

Active Contacts are the ones that you can actively mail to and are billable.

All Contacts will show you all of the contacts that are within your account, including those on the Do Not Mail list, Awaiting Confirmation, No Permission Set.

To see your bounced contacts, you would want to click on the Email tab > Reports > then click on the blue hyperlinked number under Bounces.

I hope that helps!

Regular Visitor

I only want to send my newsletter to active contacts but CC adds up all of them on the screen. So now what?

Hello @LisaW13. Were you selecting multiple lists on the scheduling screen? If this is the case, the total number of contacts on those lists will display and it may be higher if a contact is on multiple lists. We won't send duplicate emails to those contacts and only those who are active will receive it. 

Caitlin M.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.