cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

how to add contacts?

how to add contacts?

how to add contacts?
16 REPLIES 16
CTCT Employee

Re: how to add contacts?

Hello Yvette!

Great question! We actually have a few different ways you can upload contacts to your account. 

You'll want to start by logging into your account and clicking on the contacts button to the left side:

Contactsbutton.PNG

You will then see an Add Contacts button on the right:

addcontacts.PNG

Once you click this button you will then see the different options to upload: 

Contactsaddlist.PNG

I hope this helps!

Amber Royal
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Need help adding contacts

I have all of my contacts saved as excel CSV files and need help importing them so I can send out an email blast. Can you please help? Thank you, **Removed By Moderator**

Tags (3)

Re: Need help adding contacts

HI @DavidM8276 

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble importing your contacts. If your contact list is already in CSV file you should be able to upload right to your account. One thing to check ahead of time is that your file is formatted correctly. You will want your contact information run left to right with each column being a different piece of information. 

format_spreadsheet.png

To import your file:

1. Click Add Contacts.
  2. Choose "Add from file" from the drop-down.
  3. Click Choose File to locate and select the file on your computer.
  4. Click Continue.
  5. Review the titles in the "Field in Constant Contact" column to make sure information will be stored in the proper fields.
  6. Click Continue.
  7. By default, the "I have permission to email these contacts" box is checked. Un-check this if you don't have permission to email these contacts.
  8. Click the blue plus icon and choose a mailing list for the contact. You can also begin typing the name of a list and it will auto-fill for you. These won't be options if you don't have permission to email the contacts.
  9. Click Apply.
    Note: Emails are sent out to lists, so make sure you include your email addresses in one if you want to send to them.
  10. Click the Import button.

If these steps don't seem to be working for you please let me know what is happening!

Thanks,

Hannah M.
Community and Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!

Adding

Can I add a .csv file, or do I have to add contacts one by one?
Tags (3)

Re: Adding

HI @RobertC7905

You absolutely can add contacts to your account by uploading the CSV file! One thing you will want to confirm in your file is that each contact is on their own row. You can have as much contact information as you would like but you will need at least first/last name, email address or social profile to bring them into your account.

Make sure you have your file saved on your computer and then click the Contacts button on the left of your account. Choose "Add Contacts" and "Add from file". Use the browser button to choose the file on your computer and then click "Continue". The next screen is where you will label your data. Choose from the drop down for each row or if you do not want to import that row of information keep the label as "Select a field". Click "Continue" when you are done labelling and then use the blue plus signs to add lists or tags. A list is where the contacts will be saved in the account and a tag is a way of labelling the contact internally. You can send to a list but narrow down by a tag. Once complete you can choose to import!

Here is an FAQ on this if you would like to save it for future reference!

Thanks,

Hannah M.
Community and Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Import a list of emails

I am trying to import a list of emails but when the import is done other fields appear such as "first name". How can I import just the email?

CTCT Employee

Re: Import a list of emails

Hi @Jackson_School,

Great question! First you'll want to make sure each column of your spreadsheet contains a single type of information. For example, email addresses should be in a single column and not combined with anything else such as first/last names.

Second, during the import of your contacts, you'll need to label the field names of the columns. So the column containing email addresses needs to be labeled as such. For any columns you do not want to import (such as first name) just click the drop-down arrow to change the field name to Do not import: 

2016-09-16_12-41-44.png

Columns labeled Do not import will not be added to your account. I hope this helps!

Nichelle M

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Occasional Participant

Thank you. Great information. 

The he weird thing was, I was only importing (copy/paste) one column. I guess CC was matching "first name", etc. from other lists containing the same email?

CTCT Employee

Hi @Jackson_School,

That is correct -- if the contact already resides in your account and already includes the first name as part of the contact details. Every contact in your account has its own "contact record" and can reside on multiple email lists.

Nichelle M

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.