CTCT Employee
Caroline_Shahar

What is a QR code?

A nonprofit in today's Constant Contact live nonprofit webinar had this question so I wanted to share it with all of our nonprofit community members. 

QR code?

Quick response code (similar to a bar code) is an image you can include on your paper communications. It enables your supporters with mobile devices to use a free app to take a picture of that image, which will land them on the website you chose. Once you create an online survey you are given the URL to where it is hosted. You can use a free QR code generator (like http://www.qrstuff.com/) to turn that URL into an image (QR code) to include in your paper communications to make your surveys or polls or other content more easily accessible for your supporters that use a mobile device.  

Caroline Shahar
Occasional Participant
daisyw6

Re: What is a QR code?

Yep! QR Code is getting popular in recent years,cuz we see it just about everywhere. And it's indeed easy to use. In fact I often generate QR code free on line to encode a website when printing the page. Save the trouble of typing later! You should try it someday:smileyhappy:http://www.keepautomation.com/products/excel_barcode/

petera581

As for free version of QR Code generator, I have used this good one:

http://www.onbarcode.com/csharp/qr-code-generator.html

Contributing Solution Provider
Sumner

Join My Mailing List

QR codes can be used very creatively to get attention and make donations simpler.

You can place QR codes on products such as:  t-shirts, mugs, posters, book covers, etc.

At one of my clients fundraising dinners they had the wait staff aprons imprinted with their QR code and several of the items in their goody bag had the QR code imprinted.  Their silent auction times were set up with QR codes which landed on a webpage to accept the bids, and eventual payment from the winner. They saw a measurable increase in donations over the previous year.

In one email newsletter when a client was announcing a contest, they sent only the image of the QR code, and the recipient had to scan the code to read the message. They saw a 20% increase in response and donations.

It's important to know your market when using QR codes. Not everyone will use them, and in some settings they may be more effort than someone wants to make.

We have found that QR codes work well with the younger to mid-aged markets, however,  the over 55 age crowd doesn't respond as welcoming to the use of QR codes. Note: This is not true for all persons over 55 as many of the people in my company are in that age range and use the codes, however, it is also the work they are involved in that could make the difference.

Wishing you awesome and continuing success,

Sumner Davenport

Solutions Consultant
Niche Marketing Strategy, Solutions & Support for the solopreneurs; small and mid-sized companies.
Publisher, Author, Speaker

Solutions, not just answers.
One Size does NOT fit all.
Solutions to fit your niche, your business and your budget.
Occasional Participant
arronl5

QR code (abbreviated from Quick Response Code) is the trademark for a type of matrix barcode (or two-dimensional barcode) first designed for the automotive industry in Japan; a barcode is an optically machine-readable label that is attached to an item and that records information related to that item: The information encoded by a QR code may be made up of four standardized types ("modes") of data (numeric, alphanumeric, byte / binary, Kanji) or, through supported extensions, virtually any type of data.

Recently, the QR Code system has become popular outside the automotive industry due to its fast readability and greater storage capacity compared to standard UPC barcodes; applications include product tracking, item identification, time tracking, document management, general marketing, and much more.

A QR code consists of black modules (square dots) arranged in a square grid on a white background, which can be read by an imaging device (such as a camera) and processed using Reed-Solomon error correction until the image can be appropriately interpreted; data is then extracted from patterns present in both horizontal and vertical components of the image.
Originally designed for industrial uses, QR codes have become common in consumer advertising. Typically, a smartphone is used as a QR-code scanner, displaying the code and converting it to some useful form (such as a standard URL for a website, thereby obviating the need for a user to type it manually into a web browser).
You can generate and read different kinds of barcode with the help of many professional SDKs.
I'm studying about this recently.
I hope we can have some communication later.

Best regards,
Arron

Jeff_G

Hi Arron. Thanks for your input. QR codes are really useful, and we'd love to know the creative ways that our Community members are using them.

Jeff Gilson
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Occasional Advisor
JoeR473

Join My Mailing List

Oh!yeah QR code are set to become the next big thing.It is a two diamensial barcode that can be read  by using just your smart phone or even dedicated QR reading devices,that link directly to text emails,websites,phone numbers etc.The scope for the use of QR code is really huge,particularly for the marketing and advertising of products,brands,services etc.

Occasional Participant
JayN40

Hello, QR Codes refers to Quick response code. It is populan outside the automotive industry due to its fast readability and greater storage capacity compared to standard UPC Barcodes now a days. It includes product Tracking, Document Management, and so on.

Thanks