Add to Calendar link does not include link to Online Event in Add to Calendar Location

Please give users the ability to customize the content in the "Add to Calendar" .ics file that registrants can download and add to their iCalendars. This functionality is important, especially now that many companies and organizations are hosting webinars/online meetings.

Currently, when registrants download the .ics file, the copy in the auto-generated invite contains the link to register for the event. Why include this link to register when they've already registered for the event? Instead, we should be able to copy and paste the link to the online event (usually a Zoom, Webex or online meeting link) as well as the login information (access codes, meeting numbers, etc.)

48 Comments
LenaC
Occasional Participant
I have a consistent problem with the "add to calendar" link that is automatically added to the registration confirmation message. It would be a tremendous help if I could edit the link for our online events. Specifically, the url address of the online session platform is preferred. Our guests are confused and anxious when they click this link from their calendar only to arrive back at the Constant Contact registration page.
Anna_N
Employee
Status changed to: New

Anna_N
Employee

Hi LenaC,

Thank you so much for this feedback. I'm sorry if this is creating confusion for your registrants whenever they click the "Add to Calendar" link and the calendar entry provides them the direct Event URL instead of just the online event URL. This is how it's currently set up but we will be happy to look into giving options for online events to make this modification. Until this feature is available, I do have a couple of ways on how they can get to your online session's link:

1. You can add it to your Landing Page as a link in one of the blocks (this way they see it when they click the calendar link)

2. You can add it to your confirmation email and page. Here's the FAQ on how you can do that: Add Link to Confirmation Page or Email

Please continue voting for this feature and other features you want. Our Product Team use these suggestions to improve our tools. Thanks!

Anna

Social Support and Community

Bryan.Reiter
Occasional Participant
The .ics file is a file which includes information regarding an event. When clicked on it will open your native email program and save the details to your calendar (when embedded as an html link). When included as an attachment it will save the details of the event to the email program in which it was opened. There within lies the problem, other programs that help to manage people day to day activities such as gmail, hotmail, live, yahoo... etc it only works if it is included as an attachment, not as an html link.How are you guys working on this issue? Is eventspot ever going to allow someone to post the item to any calendar other than yours? Please let me know. Bryan
Hannah_M
Status changed to: Voting Open

Hannah_M

UNL-CYFS
Participant

I recently sent out an RSVP message and found out after sending that when they clicked the "add to calendar" link (below) from the confirmation page, the time was off by an hour.

My event is at noon the .ics that is downloaded added it at 1pm.

I am sending from CST so I'm assuming this is the issue. Either way, this is a bad situation if people are adding the event to their calendars and not noticing the time is off. I'll have to send another email to them with an updated .ics explaining the issue and will not be able to use the RSVP function until resolved.

That link should me removed until the issue is resolved. 

Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 4.19.26 PM.png

Thank you.

GregoryB86
Occasional Participant
When you click add to calendar it pulls information for location/date/time, etc. But when it is an online event it doesn't pull the online event information "links & description (which may include call-in#'s). Users have to find the confirmation email in order to get that information instead of going to their calendar to join events (which is typical for outlook, iOS, gmail, etc).
Hannah_M

ScottM2991
Participant

Just had the same issue today. STill no idea on how to fix it. Sad.

SEO
Participant

Agree - very frustrating work around - as is the inability to send automatic reminders and/or to resend to those who didn't register

NancyF14633
Participant

4 years later and still no fix...

KathyS4
Participant

still doesn't appear to be fixed. 

MargaretB33
Participant
"Add to calendar" function on the landing and registration pages takes you back to registration - NOT the URL for the meeting. VERY CONFUSING. IT TOTALLY SUCKS.
Frankie_P
Status changed to: Open Questions

Hi @MargaretB33 how would you expect users to have the URL included in their calendar event?

Frankie_P

Hi @ORBA thank you for sharing this feedback with us! We are opening this idea up so other users can weigh in as well. In the meantime we would suggest adding this information to the description of your event so it will show in the body of the add to calendar notice.

ORBA
Regular Participant

Thank you, Frankie. I should have clarified:

Currently, when registrants download the .ics file, the copy from the auto-generated calendar invite from the confirmation e-mail registrants receive contains the link to the Constant Contact registration page for the event. Again, this is counter-intuitive because why would the calendar item they save to their iCalendar have a link to register for the webinar that they've already registered for?

We did include the meeting link (which I understand is required) as well as any login/access information in the description of the event. This request is to be able to customize the messaging saved in that add-to-calendar .ics file so that we can give our registrants the courtesy to download an .ics file containing pertinent login information for the webinar. 

Thank you for considering this request.

KimElizabethH
Occasional Participant

Hello,

Has this been changed? 

Thank you!

ejh

TamiG35970
Participant

YES PLEASE DO THIS! With virtual events this is causing an issue with attendees wanting to join the meetings. 

RonaldB566
Participant

Please do this! Registrants do not need the event link to register again. They need to be able to have the Zoom link at their finger tips. 

KimElizabethH
Occasional Participant

Yes - please stop re-directing registrants back to the registration page. We are planning to cancel constant contact over this issue - it is supremely frustrating an makes absolutely no sense.

EvelynW83
Regular Participant

Hello,

Has this been changed? 

EvelynW83
Regular Participant

there is no solution on this at all.  2014  till 2020 6 years they have been doing nothing to solve this problem. dam sad

Caitlin_M
Administrator

Hello all. While we do not have an update on this particular issue, our event tool is being reviewed for better usability and experience for both you and your registrants. If we have any information to share, we will update this thread.

WilliamB5858
Participant

Yes please Constant Contact! With no in person events in the near future, everything is webinar. Not having the login details, link to meeting, etc in the calendar item is forcing me to use RSVPify and other services that DO include this functionality. Please don't force me off Constant Contact

EvelynW83
Regular Participant

Yes please, Constant Contact!  Get this Done ASAP and don' let us wait for another 6 years! 

WICTS
Regular Participant

Please address this! It makes zero sense for the automatically pulled content to direct registrants to the registration page where they've already registered. Please allow full editing functionality of both the confirmation email (as opposed to automatically pulling content - it gets repetitive when we have to input the webinar link in the event description so it's listed 2x in the confirmation email) AND the .ics file that is generated. PLEASE!

FirstNameL311097
Participant

Hi, we are using the events page for participants to sign up one-time for a recurring event that happens weekly. The start date and end date correspond to the start date and end date of the period when the events are held weekly. I discovered that in the registration confirmation email the auto-generated "Add to Calendar" make it a daily event in the calendar during the period between the start date and the end date.  I would appreciate if you can give users of ConstantContact the option of removing the "Add to Calendar" link in the registration confirmation email so that registrants won't be able to add to calendar. Otherwise the event page is perfect for recurring events/webinar series sign-ups even though ConstantContact doesn't have a campaign template set up specially for one-time registration for recurring events. If you can quickly come up with a way for a user to edit the schedule in "Add to Calendar" link, it also works. I hope you can resolve this issue asap. 

TheHealthCell
Participant

Please fix this issue, I am have the same issue -- we lost 40% of our registrants because they were directed to the registration page instead of the zoom link. If this does not get fixed, we will need to evaluate switching to another platform.

TaunyaP3
Occasional Participant

This issue needs to be corrected ASAP. There is no logic in someone registering for an event and then the Add to Calendar only has a link for registration instead of the actual event link. I have done all the alternative suggestions but it doesn't help with the actual Add to Calendar, which is what most people use and don't think to copy the actual event link and paste into the calendar invite, which they shouldn't need to do anyway. The system should automatically put the actual event link into Add to Calendar but I will take at this point being able to change it myself. This has been a long-term issue that should be prioritized and corrected as soon as possible. This is currently my biggest issue with using Constant Contact.

TammyF8
Occasional Participant

I can't believe you still haven't fixed this very basic, yet very important issue - especially since all events have been virtual for the last 7 months.  This should be your #1 priority.  I'm already researching other platforms, because this is ridiculous.

Hammes
Participant

I am guessing that the issue of redirecting registrants back to the event registration page (with the auto "Add to my Calendar") still has not been resolved? Constant Contact - can you please confirm? This is very frustrating and really problematic. Thank you. 

Frankie_P

Hi @Hammes you are correct, at this time this feature is not yet available. There are many factors that are used to decide what is added to or updated in our product which can cause us to sometimes not have a timeline for when a feature will be available. Though this may be the case, our Product teams have decided to focus on a complete redesign of our Event product and is allocating resources to it. We will reach back out to this thread with any further updates.

DanL215
Participant

Yeah, I'm going to throw my chit in the jar as a vote for making this "add to calendar" link operate like "add to calendar" operates everywhere else on the known internet. I'm glad I discovered this thread before making my event live, otherwise I would have run into the same senseless issues that other people have discussed on here.

Also, I would say that while it's great you're looking to do a total redesign of the event feature of your platform, given how far we are into this pandemic it seems like an unwise decision on Constant Contact's part to delay this specific fix in favor of a larger systemic change. It seems like you could have done this little thing sooner, while pursuing the bigger thing later.

OndreaM8
Participant

I would really like to see this feature available.  With all events being virtual, having the url of the event in the "add to calendar" feature is essential.  It creates a lot of confusion when registrants are sent back to the registration site instead of the event.  

AislingO2
Participant

Hello Constant Contact - as others have stated within this chain, the "Add to Calendar" feature is an essential part of any online registration. This can't be stressed enough that you need to fix this so people who are registering for events have the proper information when they use the add to calendar option. My firm hosted a webinar today and there was an issue with an attendee because of this nonfunctional feature. PLEASE ADDRESS EVERYONE'S CONCERNS IN THIS CHAIN AND FIX IT. 

TaunyaP3
Occasional Participant

Hello, I wanted to weigh in as this is a major issue for me. I agree this needs to be corrected. I do all the suggestions that Constant Contact has suggested but it stills requires the registrants to manually have to enter information into their calendar invitation because the Add to Calendar doesn't allow us to put the URL link to the event in it. We will always do some online events and this process needs to be made more efficient by allowing us to alter the link in the Add to Calendar. I know this has been a constant issue for us and Constant Contact needs to make this a top priority. It would increase my satisfaction on setting up events in CC greatly. Thanks

BCSE
Regular Participant

Yes, I agree strongly with the original post and have been frustrated it each time I have managed an event over the course of the past year (2020) that the ability to add it directly to the calendar with log-in details is not provided.

I vote to add this functionality to the platform.

PatriciaB0712
Occasional Participant

I will echo the thoughts of EVERYONE on this string.  It is now February 2021, I just completed setting up a 2-day event and the calendar still does not allow for the meeting registrant to save ALL of the virtual meeting links and information to their email. You get the option of the registrant getting a link to your landing page or a link to the registration form.  They don't really need either at that point.   It is a bit embarrassing really to be sending out this event announcement without that feature.   Please HELP!

CCAHU
Participant

wow over 8 years and still no resolution...

We are having the same issue.  Attendees are complaining even though we send the links to our events in the confirmation emails.... 

Simply say you can't do it... Because clearly you can't. 

SandraV113
Regular Participant

Yes, this is extremely counterintuitive and causes quite a drop in attendance on the day of the event because many registrants cannot easily locate the webinar link. Please correct this ASAP or we will need to consider using a different vendor for our email marketing campaigns.

masitesecretary
Participant

I thought I was missing an obvious fix somewhere to this problem that numerous people have pointed out...until I realized Constant Contact never addressed the problem...This thread should serve as a future business case study in how a simple problem doesn't get addressed.

Constant Contact- if you're not going to come up with a resolution to enable users to have the registration link included in the add my calendar, at least provide the option for me to remove this feature so I'm not frustrating my attendees by redirecting them back to the registration page.

HeatherC5150
Occasional Participant

Guess I'll add my voice to the chain.  This is an incredible inconvenience and makes the registration aspect of Constant Contact virtually unusable.  Please let us know when this issue is resolved.

JenniferG13486
Participant

Very disappointing - come on Constant Contact!

KathyS4
Participant

It's obvious they don't care. They won't fix it until people stop using the service. 

AC_Global
Occasional Participant

How is it possible this hasn't been fixed yet? There is no excuse. It's simply bad customer service. 

Please, please have the "Add to Calendar" ics link include the link to the event, not the link to register. It makes no sense to include the link to register to something people are already registered for. 

And while you're at it, please move the "Add to Calendar" link on the registration confirmation to underneath the date and time of the event. It does not make any sense to have it at the bottom of the email. Put it up top where people will see it and be more prone to use it. 

These should be easy fixes. Why has this taken so long? 

SandyB88
Regular Participant
I have called twice about this glitch in your system which I never noticed until we went virtual with our programs. PLEASE MAKE THIS A PRIORITY TO FIX! Today we had a program and members had saved it to their calendars through the "Save to calendar Icon" at the landing page. The link in the "Save to Calendar" is the link to the Constant Contact registration form, but they don't know that until they click it thinking they are about to join the Zoom meeting, but it takes them back to the program registration form... several frustrated registrants! I thought I had fixed it by deleting the "Save to Calendar icon" but it still shows up on the next landing page after you click the "Register Now" button. PLEASE! Just remove this "Save to Calendar icon" until you figure it out. See my June 3, 2021 registration form and test this out.
TMC_LEAD_Calendar
Participant

Well it's not encouraging that when looking for the answer to my question on how to edit the calendar invitation I find this thread. Now I have to delete the link and figure out a work around. I can't imagine continuing in the online webinar/hybrid format without this simple feature. 

What happens with product feedback?

Find out about the life-cycle of a product idea when it is posted on our Feedback board.

Read More

What's New

See the latest Constant Contact product release notes and updates.

Learn More