Export Excel File with Questions and Total Responses Side by Side

What were you thinking? I feel ripped off. I did my first survey in Fall 2020 and a follow up this April. I had to print the screen to get a report comparable to the report I had last Fall. What junk!

30 Comments
DeniseC5392
Consulting & Training

I completely agree with @MikeB82916. I would like to see the same results from the "survey page" that we used to get from the "Legacy survey." As it stands the results are unacceptable and I will most likely be switching platforms once my subscription expires. We run surveys for data analysis, and what is offered in the survey page is poor at best. 

Caitlin_M
Administrator

Hi @DeniseC5392. Could you further explain what's missing from the results or what you would like to see? 

Caitlin_M
Administrator
Status changed to: Open Questions

Hi @ShawnH02. How would you like your reporting to look? Is there a certain layout you prefer? Survey pages is a newer feature so we're welcoming any type of feedback to improve upon it.

Caitlin_M
Administrator
Status changed to: Voting Open

Reply from @ShawnH02 

Attached are the results of a survey from last september...supposedly the version that was retired. I could not find a way to export such a report in the current version. I had to print the page which included items that were too small to read at the top. Not professional looking. Really cutting corners here.

What exported was just a list of names and email addresses next to each of the questions. No comparison percentages.

Thank you for the follow up. If you need anything else, please let me know.

Previous legacy survey resultsPrevious legacy survey results

Previous Legacy survey results

Thank you so much for the follow-up. I'm going to open this idea up for voting. I included a screenshot of your example for a visual with your information blurred out

Caitlin_M
Administrator

Reply from @DeniseC5392:

Yes, in the older versions of the Legacy Surveys I could download a pdf with graphics such as pie charts and text of responses. Now, all that I can do is download an excel file. If you could allow us to analyze the data in the survey pages and we were able to do in the Legacy Surveys that would be great. Right now, it is almost pointless using CC for surveys as the data isn’t easily readable.

Thank you for the explanation. I'm going to merge your feedback into a larger thread surrounding the display of exported responses.

RandyR559
Participant

What is the best way to analyze survey data collected via Constant Comment?

CUAA
Regular Participant
The way the results are exported are completely useless. Is there an alternative way to export that keeps the results of multiple questions with the person answering? this is a giant flaw in your platform.
NielsVHI
Participant
The survey reporting is the worst thing I've ever seen. Yes it collects the information, but it formats it out of order when exported and also gives you no access to see the individual survey because all of the reports are combined together.
JenniferP7090
Participant
What a nightmare. When I download the results the questions don't even stay in the right order. Impossible to read in a basic excel spreadsheet. Only one format to download this mess is ridiculous. Am considering dropping this extra service and going back to Survey Monkey. (The survey feature as a whole is a huge disappointment. Not being able to send the actual survey as an email and only being able to put a link in another email- forcing another click is bad programming.)
AdminA802
Participant

The newer survey response export is a mess!  The questions and responses should be column headings, not additional data in the respondent's row.  C'mon!  This is basic spreadsheet stuff.  Get your constant and variable data straightened out.  Now I get a separate records (rows) for each time a respondent answers each question - not helpful, especially when I write follow-up questions.  I need to scroll through all the records pertaining to question one and hope I find that person's corresponding follow-up response among the rows of question two records.  How did this ever get past your test phase?

KyleeS
Frequent Participant

Has anyone researched alternatives to CC? If updates are not implemented to the survey tool asap, it will be worthless to us since we can't export data in a usable way. I was hoping we had longer, but from the email yesterday the legacy tool will end in June.

RandyR559
Participant

We are considering leaving as well due to the survey module. We have utilized CC to track client intake information. In addition to the survey reporting being a mess the new page survey module only leaves the survey open for six months. Pretty hard to track results for a fiscal year if the survey maximum is six months! If someone finds a good alternative to CC please post!

CS_Parks
Frequent Participant

I understand CC wanting to streamline the survey feature, but I feel it's been stripped of so many nice features offered on the Legacy survey platform. 1. The pdf export to a bar chart summary is gone. This report was a nice snapshot of results for our managers. Now I have to screenshoot each question and throw in another document to create this summary. 2) The csv file exports as a mess, with the questions in backwards order. It took me hours to clean up. Plus the question is repeated for every survey respondent. The Legacy export of this document was organized in the manner of the survey, listed the question(s) once, listed the question(s) in order, and then the responses - a much cleaner export. 3) Additionally, the Legacy csv export had two tabs. There was a summary tab in which I would take the organized data and make pie charts for the managers. The new survey feature no longer includes that tab and information in the export. The new survey platform reporting feature is very disappointing.

BrianneM8
Participant
For us the greatest value provided by Contact Contact was the way the results of the responses to the surveys we sent were formatted. All responses from a recipient were on a single row and so it made for easy comparison. The new format has a operate row for every response from every respondent, this is not functional from our perspective and we will have to revaluate using the service.
R.C.Hagen
Regular Participant

new survey

Frankie_P
Status changed to: Open Questions

Hi @R.C.Hagen we're always open to ways we can better our user's experience! How can we assist you with the updated survey campaigns in your account.? Having any further details you can share allows us to properly track your feedback with our Product Team.

R.C.Hagen
Regular Participant

Making them work properly would be a good start. We have our first survey in the new survey tool and overall responses are not showing or downloadable. I've been in touch with support and although helpful they say there's no fix and other customers are experiencing the same thing. Not impressed. 

MadeleineC6
Occasional Participant

Reporting results from surveys using the new tool is a nightmare. I just spent my morning putting the totally unusable results (no PDF summary, no usable spreadsheet with a "details" tab to read comments) into a Word document of my own making to share with my board/conference director. No way I would send a list of over 2000 line items with absolutely no way to make heads nor tails of it to my client, so why is Constant Contact giving me such a rotten result? Whoever decided this survey tool was ready for prime time and pulled the trigger should lose his or her job. Anyone can see that CC has missed the most important part of a survey - sharing the results with others. I can't believe this is happening. Do I start shopping for another email marketing product and steer my client associations in a different direction. A total debacle. This shouldn't have happened, someone was asleep at the wheel. 

Dave43311
Participant
Why did you change the way the survey results come out when you export them? They no longer come out like a normal Excel file where you can easily sort and work with the data?
KristaB98685
Occasional Participant

The new survey export format is not helpful and actually has created ADDITIONAL work for me instead of making it easier. It exports into excel which is great, but all of the responses are showing up in two columns (portrait)instead of each question being in each column (horizontal). I used to be able to sort the spreadsheet in different ways based on different answers (like if someone selected a certain date for training). The way you have it now is completely unusable. HOW could this change have been thought of as a good idea? I don't see how it would work for anyone? There isn't even space between each person who answered the survey, so everyones answers are all jumbled together. Crazy!

MadeleineC9
Occasional Participant

So true, KristaB! Since the new survey tool was implemented, I've had to spend an hour or more creating a meaning report that I can share with board members. What is the most important thing about a survey? Reporting the results! And the only way to share results with others now would be to give a whole lot of people access to the account (terrible) or create a report yourself (equally terrible because it used to take 2 minutes). CC better be working on a fix for the survey tool results and other shortcomings of the new platform (i.e., no longer possible to rate a list of items, you have to repeat the question over and over, also no way to collect respondent information). 

KyleeS
Frequent Participant

Are these comments making any difference with Constant Contact? 

Mary RoseM-1775922347
Occasional Participant

I just learned the pdf survey tool is gone?! What the heck? Not a good move CC. 

When I pull up a legacy survey, I see this in a block at the top - "We have released a new Survey tool . . . . We encourage you to give it a try and pass along any feedback you have. Your input is crucial in helping us improve our product!"

Constant Contact, you've got our feedback, but I don't see the product improvements.  When are you going to fix the reporting on this?  This is just one thread out of many with the same feedback (that you all really screwed us over with the new survey tool), and this thread is now 7 months old.  That's time to fix the reporting.  But you haven't.  So how about just a hint at how much longer it's going to be before you do?  If it's going to be any later than 2021 Q4, it's time for us to start looking for another survey tool (and possibly a more comprehensive marketing tool that integrates the way CC used to before the supposed "upgrade").

KelleyH38
Occasional Participant

I share the same frustration as others above with the new survey tool and its lack of useable reports. Really disappointed with this improvement and the valuable features it eliminated.

Mary RoseM-1775922347
Occasional Participant

The lack of survey results to pdf is infuriating. WHY CC did you change this?? 

I am going to research other vendors but it will also be a big pain the in neck - we have tons of history in CC. 

Revert CC or you WILL lose customers. 

MadeleineC3
Participant

I'm reading lots of complaints but there has been no action, no reassurance, no "we hear you" messaging from Constant Contact. CC is definitely dropping the ball on customer service. I think they have probably decided to stay silent that CC customers will just figure out how to create their own reports from the VERY user unfriendly data that is available. Maybe they're just washing their hands of it.  If I could fire the person who decided rolling out this new survey tool without thinking about usability and the features they were taking away, I would! 

Mary RoseM-1775922347
Occasional Participant

Here's what CC wrote to me after I DM'd them about the survey pdf and surveys expiring in 6 mos. (Useless) 

The information presented in those images is available through the Summary export of the surveys - e.g. the questions, their corresponding answers, the answers' responses, and the response ratios. The column widths may need to be adjusted, and text wrapping turn on, in order to make the CSV file appear more clearly in your spreadhseet program. This can vary by spreadsheet program, which is why it's something that needs to be adjusted after downloading and opening. After making the adjustments, the file can be saved in your spreadsheet program and should retain those widths and wrapping adjustments. Spreadsheet programs typically have a graph function available, so it is possible to generate one from the info provided in the Summary export. The All Results export is what will have the breakdown of questions' responses per responder (no ratios). Similarly, you may need to widen columns and text wrap for easier viewing, per the spreadsheet program used to view the results. Regarding the survey time lengths, the current gimmick our support agents have been suggesting is unpublishing the survey close to its expiration, adjusting the expiration date to be up to 6 months further out, then re-publishing it, and repeating the process for as long as you need the same survey going. If you'd like us to track the feature requests to your account, regarding the lack of an automatically-included bar graph in the Summary export, and to make the survey expiration date extension be further out / more clearly customizable, please provide the username for your account. ^WD

Thanks, Mary Rose.

@Constant Contact - you all know me (Don Dinnerville, partner) and Madeleine Crouch (my biggest client, responsible for roughly 2 dozen CC accounts), and I can tell you that once again, we are officially requesting the bar graphs and ALL the other survey results reporting that we had under the legacy system.  "The information presented in those images is available through the Summary export of the surveys . . . " - that's basically telling all of your users who were used to those reports for years that the information is there, go do the work yourselves.  #UNACCEPTABLE

You all have to own the fact that you downgraded a product that your users spent years using in a certain way, and that completely pulled the rug out from underneath all of us.  It's time to own it, make the fixes to bring the product back to where it was 9 months ago, and give us a timeline for when that will happen.  Please - STOP MAKING EXCUSES AND GIVING US WORKAROUNDS THAT INVOLVE ASKING YOUR PAYING CUSTOMERS TO DO ALL THE WORK MANUALLY THAT THIS SYSTEM SHOULD DO AUTOMATICALLY!!!!

MadeleineC3
Participant

Could have said it better myself, Don, thank you! You've hit the nail on the head, CC wants their customers to do the work to recreate product features that were included when we purchased the product. In no universe is this acceptable!

What happens with product feedback?

Find out about the life-cycle of a product idea when it is posted on our Feedback board.

Read More

What's New

See the latest Constant Contact product release notes and updates.

Learn More