cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Due to an issue with YouTube, inserting videos in your emails is showing an error. Until they are able to resolve this issue, we recommend using a different video hosting service. We will continue to monitor this outage and update you as we have more information.

variable date field

variable date field

would be great to be able to set a coupon expiration date automatically based on when an email coupon is sent/delivered also would be great if you had up to 5 keywords available at one time for text to join, so you can differentiate where customers are coming from

19 Comments
Developer
I could swear I already asked this, but can't find my question much less the answer, so forgive me if this is a duplicate!

I am using the date block in an autoresponder, but it doesn't put the date in there... what am I supposed to do?  I want to insert the current date.

Thanks
Honored Contributor

Dave, That isn't a dynamic field and as such wouldn't work in an auto-responder. In fact even when you use it in a normal email you need to include the particulars yourself. Tony Clique Marketing & Consulting 2009 Constant Contact All Star

Developer

I find it surprising that there is no way to insert a current date into an email; seems like it would be easy enough to do by simply giving us the name of a variable of some sort, such as $$Month, $$Year, $$Day, and then replace it with the correct data when the email is generated. I hope it's on a requested-features list somewhere! Thank you for the info. Dave

Honored Contributor

Not to say its not a good idea but if you think about it email has a built in time stamp from the email client already.

Regular Visitor

Sorry to drudge up an old topic but I am looking for the same feature. I want my original welcome email to be a coupon that expires 7 days from the date of the initial sign up.

I do not want to add a coupon to the email because that would involve manually adjusting the expiration date every day.

As far as the email time stamp, that is not something that shows up in the body of the email and is of no use.

If there was a simple dynamic filed entry of the current date that could be stamped into the email body that would be perfect.

Anyone tried this?

I tried using script language with the custom HTML editor, but Scripts are not allowed, and besides I don't think the scripts I have found work for html emails, just for html websites.

Regular Visitor

Thanks!

What would work really well too is to have a feature on teh coupon editor to have the coupon Expire within so many days of the email being sent. 

We do not want to have a set expiration date on the coupon because that would not be fair to a person who signs up for the coupon a day or two before the coupon expires.

Occasional Participant

Any update on this?  I need to do a coupon in an autoresponder that expires two weeks from the date it is sent.  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Hi @LarryS6 

Unfortunately, no I don't have any new news. But you can vote on that idea right here!

Frequent Visitor

This feature and it's obvious usefulness is a no-brainer. Can you tell us why you don't offer this? Your customers obviously want it, your competitors have it, and in my case, it's about to become a dealbreaker because I need this functionality. I've used Constant Contact for almost a decade, but I need this and you don't have it, so I may have to find an email service that does ... which is a shame, because it seems to be such a necessary and obvious and USEFUL feature. What gives? Please don't reply with a cheerful ... "Yes, we've asked the developers to consider this!" Really give us an answer as to why we can't have this feature.

Status changed to: New

Visitor

I see this thread is old, and as of Feb 2016, this feature still hasn't been added!  Amazing.

Status changed to: Voting Open

Visitor

It would be great to put a date field in the emails that we send out for birthdays.  For example, we need to put an expiration on a coupon.  We would like it to be 14 days from the date the email was sent out. 

Status changed to: Certified Great Idea

Regular Visitor

I'll throw my 2 cents in for how this would benefit me. If you're emailing a monthly newsletter, it'd be nice to put some sort of placeholder in the text for the current month. For example... {currentMonth}

Or, in the event that someone may send a newsletter a day or two before the first of the month...{currentMonth+1}

Established Member

8 years later and this feature still hasn't been added? This is unfortunate...

Occasional Contributor

Any update on this? I agree with Patrick on this - a dynamic date change in the coupon or in an email would be helpful and is a no-brainer in its usefulness. For example, when birthday emails get sent out. If we wanted to include a coupon for something, it would be nice if that coupon had a dynamic changing date to one month of use or something. Plenty of other businesses exercise this - I'm not sure why Constant Contact hasn't jumped on the band wagon. Or a welcome email - the coupon expires 7 days after the email is sent. It's tedious to have to update these dates constantly, manually.