cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Background images not showing

Solution Provider

Is there a trick to make background images show up in Outlook 2007? The e-mail looks fine in other programs. Even when I set it to allow images, the background images will not show.
Thanks.
Experience is something you get right after you needed it.
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Solution Provider

Yup ... don't use background images.

The rendering engine in Outlook 2007 does not support it.

So...don't you use any of the templates that have embeded pics? If not--how do you substitute the pic for the header?

Sorry if this question is elementary...I'm a pretty new user.

Thanks for letting me know.
NN:shock:
Solution Provider

(1) I don't have enough subscribers using Outlook 2007, so I really don't worry too much about it. (My subscribers are not corporate types.) But I do include a link at the top of each message that says - "if you are having trouble seeing the images in this newsletter, please click here to see this message in your browser." That takes care of most rendering issues.

(2) Since the background image allows you to apply text on top of it, you would need to create a new image, with the text already there. Then, you use the image as a normal image (Image button on left hand panel while in edit mode) and remove the background image from the code (using the Global Settings from the left-side panel while in edit mode).

Hi,

I'm really new at this.

How do you set up the link to have my news letter viewed in the browser? Where do I get the link address from?

Alfreda:?:
Solution Provider

That would depend.

(1) Use can use the CC "archive" function, and you would get the URL from CC.

-or-

(2) You can save your newsletters to an archive (see the link in my signature) that you keep on your own web server.
Occasional Advisor

I have a related question. I'm going through the yearly re-design of the various custom templates that I use (about 4), and for one of them I've been using a background image as the header. It's a fairly simple black to white gradient with a curved corner set above a table with a thin border (here's an example). I did this so that, even with images blocked, the header text would still show.

In designing for Outlook 2007, I know background images won't show up. But if I convert the header into an image and someone has images blocked, they won't see anything in the header (minus any specified 'alt' text).

I read an article from MarketingSherpa dated Feb 16, 2007, that stated 59% of email users routinely block email images (including my co-workers, who didn't even realize they were blocking images).

I unfortunately don't have data on how many use Office 2007, so now I'm in a bit of a design quandary.

Has anyone else had this same concern? I've read that background colors will still show up in Outlook 2007, so I'm considering just changing the header background into a solid color. It's not as neat as I'd like it to be, but it may be my only option.
Solution Provider

I provide a solid color under my background image. That way, "something" is there.

BTW - if you have not been to the Email Standards project web site, I highly recommend it. There are lots of discussions on topics like this. They indicate that background colors are supported in Outlook 2007.