cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

September 2008 Hints & Tips Newsletter -- Subject Lines and Calls to Action

Occasional Advisor

This month's issue of Hints & Tips Email Marketing covers two "make or break" topics: subject lines and calls to action (CTAs). Gina Watkins covers creative approaches to both in her article and in an interview with me, copywriter Bob Bly shares some of his secrets.

How to Get More Opens and Clicks

Copywriting Secrets from Bob Bly

Share your best subject lines and CTAs here, or ask questions of other community members!

Reminder: you have to be a member of ConnectUp! to post. Learn how to join here.

Best wishes,
Amy Black
Editor, Hints & Tips e-Newsletters

6 REPLIES 6

Tips on how to get more openings was not very new or inspiring..Many of these techniques turn me off as a consumer.

Hello,
I thought your ideas were great - I like the opposite statements and the "what is it costing you" idea. My one concern is borrowing names like Oprah to catch attention. Isn't this a bit risky legally? I think it would be important to let your readers know that many brands are protected and you can't borrow any large recognizable brand you would like for your email advertising. Can you expand on that? thanks.
Solution Provider

Great comments! Take a look at my article, "Spam-a-Lot" or "Sales-a-Little?": -- Tips for Revenue-generating E-mail" on the resources page of the Atkins Marketing Solutions web site. www.atkinsmarketingsolutions.com

Regards,

Stuart Atkins, MBA
Atkins Marketing Solutions

I appreciate ALL the wisdom you care to share. Not all will apply to all users, but it's nice to see different perspectives.
- Lisa, Oakland, CA
Occasional Visitor

THANK YOU...for your suggestions...its a breath of fresh air to have so much suppport from a
vendor and your company is amazing...

jeanie chaney
jeaniesspa.com
annapolis maryland

Bill Bly's subject headings are common headings automatically deleted by my spam filters, so those are out. The first article taught me some something, though. I agree that numbers work well. The key is to get the reader to start guessing after reading the subject line. For us, the subject line "Ony 1 is from the USA" got 37.5% of our readers that opened the email to click-thru to find out which company is from the U.S. This occured during the Olympics, so the U.S. enthusiasim was peaked at the time, but I certainly suggest using the current buzz to boost reader rates.