cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam Complaint

Spam Complaint

How can I avoid been classified
as Spammer?

What can I do to keep the spam numbers Low?
111 REPLIES 111
Occasional Participant

Spam Complaint

Best thing to do is to be absolutely sure that the list you are sending to wants to receive the message. Clean your list of old names, and send out an interesting, relevant message to the users on the list. Also, avoid sending out too frequently or infrequently. Stay in touch on a regular basis.

Good luck.
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Spam Complaint

I've noticed that my spam complaints have SOARED all of the sudden starting about a month ago. I'm talking about a 400+% increase. I haven't changed the way I aquire addresses in 3 years and my newsletter/content has remained consistant over this time. The only thing I've noticed is that the vast majority of spam complaints come from aol and hotmail. Has anyone else noticed this?

Help!
Occasional Advisor

Spam Complaint

That's interesting to hear that others have the same problem. We went from having an average of 1-3 spam reports per mailing, to this past month it increased up to 27 in one mailing. We also have not changed the way we acquire email addresses, and make sure everyone is confirmed opt-in. It's a bit discouraging that this is occurring. Maybe with the new Spam laws, and the technology and user-friendly capabilities you mentioned, this will become more of an issue in the months to come.
Occasional Participant

Spam Complaint

I have been put on "List Review" by Constant Contact. They want me to re opt-in everyone on my list who did not sign up themselves. Since we add customers who buy from us, that is 90% of my list. Given that our open rates are about 30%, I can expect to lose at 70% of those people because they'll never see the opt-in email.

I have been doing business this way for 4 years. Up until my last email, I was doing great with "Spam Complaints". Suddenly, I went from about 6 complaints in 8,000 emails to 40 complaints in 10,000 emails.

I don't know how strict CC is being with others. But, this is not acceptable to me. I am complying with every part of the CAN-SPAM act. I'm sure that the vast majority of customers on my list WANT to receive my emails. I am currently trying to work through this issue with CC. But, I am also looking at other providers.
Occasional Participant

Spam Complaint

Interesting...I have had a few reports too. I will need to check the ISP addresses.

Thanks for the reminder.

Spam Complaint

I am running into the same problem. I currently have just under 30,000 subscribers and I send out campaigns on the 1st and 15th of every month. All of my subscribers have signed up on my website, purchased products or signed up at trade shows. My spam level has jumped a few times after adding addresses from trade shows, I guess people forget they signed up, but have always been pretty low. My last campaign showed 79 spam complaints. :shock: These are all people I have sent things to before and I have no idea why my spam reports would jump that high, unless constant contact is doing something different.

I have just gone through a list review and they also want me to confirm opt-in all my subscribers. I think I will also lose a ton because nobody will bother sending it back. I don't think this is right when I have done nothing wrong. Plus they always feel the need to threaten me with account termination any time I get a spam complaint, aren't I the customer?

I have about 8,000 addresses that I have removed from the bounced section because constant contact cannot get the emails delivered. Some of these people are in my company. I know their emails addresses are good and they are doing nothing to block the emails, but they still cannot receive them.

If I actually have to do this opt-in thing, I may take my business some place else. There is no reason my business should suffer because of something that obviously has nothing to do with me.
Occasional Participant

Spam Complaint

Creative,

Your first post could have been written by me. I am going through the EXACT same thing. I am in conversations with three other email providers, in case Constant Contact won't bend on this.

The second post is very interesting. I'm sure what is happening is people are hitting the spam button instead of unsubscribing. CC must have recently started getting reports on this because my spam rate has jumped 7 fold.

All Star

Spam Complaint

After 5 years of referring my clients to CC, I was forced to do a list review for one of them because of a jump (4-15 / 7200) in spam reports between the most recent newsletters. It was a total time-consumer, and made me feel as though at any moment I might be arrested in my office -- in spite of placing all requested protections (short of "deleting all emails more than a year old" :? In spite of this, my next mailing still produced 6. I will look at some of the suggestions from others regarding AOL, etc., but will also be looking into other services too. Very typical of current business mentality that after receiving support from loyal customers through its growing years, CC seems to have taken on a BIG BOX attitude.

Spam Complaint

I have nothing to say that has not been said...

I am awaiting my next email blast of 11k to be my last before CC pulls my chain..

My Crime? using clients...

Maybe if CC would SCREEN new members to make sure they run real businesses this would never have had to happen.

I do wonder over the yrs, how many of my "scrubbed" bounces were in fact valid but CC never could deliver them