cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam Complaint

Occasional Participant

Spam Complaint

Howdy from Houston...
Same song, different verse... suddenly our last eblast had a 300% increase in Spam complaints. We are a 40-year-old international film festival and we send only to entrants, clients and those who have requested info... yet now we have a 300% Spam increase... it is far too easy to complain on AOL and other services. Many people hit the spam button rather than the delete button. We feel that CC is far too rigid in their posture here and they will lose clients. Their position is that they promise the big ISP's that they have no spammers, but we feel their threshold is far, far too low ... When we are sending 10,000 emails to filmmakers, including some that did not win in our last competition, it is frankly absurd to expect no more than 2 (that is TWO) spam complaints... We receive several hundred spams a day, as in 200-400 spams... Such a low limit is simply not realistic. While I understand where CC is coming from, I feel that their Spam policy is "not acceptable" to use Consumer Reports phrase. Most of our members sign up via our website at worldfest.org - so we are quite concerned.
Best wishes,
Hunter
Occasional Participant

Spam Complaint

Howdy from Houston again...
We also object to being called a "NEWBIE" when we have been with CC for years... True, we just found out about the new ConnectUp service and just signed up, but in the internet world, "Newbie" is a bit of an insult ... and it is not really appropriate when the service is a "Newbie" too...
Best,
Hunter
Occasional Advisor

Spam Complaint

Crystal:

I did read the articles you suggested, thank you

I guess the next thing is I would like to see some of the information relating to the "highest deliver rates" in the industry. I would like to see some data on how your very stringent spam tolerance guidelines are paying off.

Spam Complaint

Hi from the UK...

Interesting reading....I haven't found the same increase in spam reporting as most of you here. Maybe because I don't have that many AOL or Hotmail email addresses, and maybe it's different for UK domains (?)

As all spammers hide their identities by spoofing other peoples email addresses I have turned on the SPF (Sender Policy Framework (SPF, http://spf.pobox.com) is a mechanism for preventing sender forgery in SMTP transaction, thus allowing domain owners control over who may send mail from their domain.) at my domain hosters.

I have also added CC to my SFP permited senders list, see "What do I need to know about senderID and SPF?" in the CC help.

Why can't AOL and Hotmail use SPF to filter out the vast majority of spam? Or isn't that enough?

Having said all the above, I have noticed that the deliverability rate has dropped about 10% in the last few months though. Any ideas why CC?
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Spam Complaint

Geez...I hate to sound so negative but, what I'm hearing in essence is: 1) strip your list to only those people who have been on your list 1 year or less including past customers, 2) in light of massive changes in the industry, one should think carefully about adding aol and hotmail clients to your list in case they forget who you are, and 3) CC won't budge on policies that were established prior to these changes. I'm just not feeling the love here. I've been with CC for years and have refered dozens of clients to them. Now, I get the feeling that if I don't like it, they'll just tell me to take a hike. I think someone mentioned before how I feel...like a criminal.

Spam Complaint

The frustrating parts about seeing any numbers under the "Spam Reports" column is:

1 - I have no way of talking with the 'victim'

2 - It is so easy to permanently opt-out (they can even 'reply' to me via regular e-mail!)

I use one of the Custom Fields on each record to keep a note of exactly why the person's e-mail address was added in hopes that I would have a chance some day to say "See, here is why you are on our monthly newsletter list". But the opportunity doesn't exist.

One trick I use to follow-up with blocked or undeliverable e-mails is to use an old version of Microsoft Outlook (I keep a special machine just for this purpose) which still allows e-mail mail/merge. I then merge a short text e-mail to everyone of the undeliverables explaining that I was sorry their newsletter bounced, and if they would like to see the html version just click here. And if they want to be taken off the list please say so - we don't want to send anyone our newsletter who doesn't want it!

Each month I receive very positive feedback from this approach, with people apologizing that our e-mail was blocked and saying they do, indeed, want to receive the e-mail.

Perhaps ISP's and such could treat e-mail that comes with a legitimate unsubscribe option differently when processing spam reports.
Occasional Visitor

Spam Complaint

We stopped mailing to aol addresses and the spam complaints decreased dramatically. But, we noticed that they have increased again .... my hunch is the new version of Hotmail called Windows Live. The "report and delete" button is within the message, while the "delete" button is higher up and I've caught myself making the same mistake ... wanting to just delete a message but instead I've "reported" them as well.

It's frustrating that CC seems to have the deck stacked against mailers (their customers) and for email readers.
Occasional Participant

Spam Complaint

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! for having this conversation!

i have been contacting CC for MONTHS about this issue without feeling that I am getting any real feedback!

i have been complaining that THEY make it too easy for somoen to call us spam -- have you ever seen what the screen looks like for opting out of email???? it's REALLY EASY to opt out and then report us as spam with just one click. I don't know that i have had more aol or hotmail accounts or wahtever.

I have been on CC for YEARS and have never one single time emailed anyone who didn't ask to receive my emails - my customers stand in my store and offer their email address, which we then type in.

But my rates have been increasing, too. i have had to do the "list review" thing too and the gal told me that i was doing everything they ask AND MORE. (i had added some features to try to REMIND people that they signed up.) Then, I had Road Runner tell CC that I was spam and i had to do a confirmed Opt-in for all of my RR customers last October. What a nightmare THAT was! I still have 225 unconfirmed! We flagged all of their records at the store and we tell them that their email is unconfirmed and they look at us like we have three heads! they have absolutely no idea what we are talking about and SWEAR that they never received a confirmation email (which, btw, *I* am a RR customer and *I* never got a confirmation email!).

anyway, i emailed CC last month to complain again that it is too easy to be reported as spam and the only thing the guy said was to add the "permission" thing, so i did with last month's email and my rate DOUBLED! and this month, i did the same thing and my rate increased again! i just contacted them this morning about it. I am simply fed up. I don't know what else to do!

I guess i shouldn't "b-tch" so much b/c i never got 27 or 40 per 5k like some others.... but i am a RESPONSIBLE emailer! i do NOT spam and it *****es me off that the customers are calling us spam so carelessly and we are the ones getting penalized!

So, again, Thank you for talking about this topic. I hope that CC READS AND LEARNS FROM IT!

Occasional Participant

Spam Complaint

i was just looking at some other stuff on here and it occurred to me that it would be nice is if CC offered us an easy link to remove anyone who hasn't looked at the last X number of emails - where WE choose how many (they keep all of the statistics, but i certainly don't want to look into every single email address and then click on the "email history" to figure out of they have opened an email over the last 90 days).

Why isn't THAT one of their features? or, to be able to remove someone who has never looked at a link. or a combo of that plus someone added by "Site Owner" or someone who is on the list since 200x.

or maybe to select them into an Interest Category for a special email that says, "Do you want to stay on our email list?" or something like that and then when they don't look at that after a month, remove them. or whatever.

i think that some combination of those features would certainly help us to keep our list for people who want to be on it. I am approaching a new pricing level given the number of people on my list and i would be HAPPY to remove people who no longer scrapbook or have moved and never look at my emails.

But, if CC is so concerned about spam, then why don't they help us with features like that?

Spam Complaint

The best addition to CC that I would like to see is the ability to have the unsubscribe/profile change details that are at the end of the template near the top of the page or in a user definable area as I find that people are not looking at the end for this information, they are just hitting the spam button, if the unsubscribe information is more visable and accesable then more people would use it. Gret forum by the way and what a great product.. love it to bits, thanks CC !