cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam Complaint

CTCT Employee

Spam Complaint

I can see both sides I guess. I probably like most small business owners on this board, have to fight and scrape to get new customers as well as retain my existing ones. Every customer counts! So I can see why reconfirming would be scary.

However I also ran into a situation where many of the people who bought from me started to complain I was sending them spam. My first thought was that I was upset that many of my customers associated my business with spam...We are not spammers. So I choose the approach of adding a pre-checked box to my order form. Since I've added this box, I've seen the number of people complaining diminish greatly!

Although I'm sure every business is different, in my case it worked well. There have been some who unchecked the box, but hey I guess I'd rather have a customer that's truly interested in my stuff than forcing mail on them and giving our company a bad rep. (FWIW only a small % of people unchecked the box)

Cheers,
TonyT

Spam Complaint

I believe it is a disservice to us that CC does not identify subscribers who report us as spam. I would be willing make a comittment to not contact them, but it would be valuable to me to at least know who they are and I only average 1-3 per mailing.

Spam Complaint

I tell you what I do not like and think it is unfair.
Constant Contact not telling me who is reporting me as spam to them.
I can go back and show where each person has agreed to recive e-mail updates from us but Constant Contact will not say who reported the spam.
They say it is a protection of that persons rights and it is not fair I am their customer and not them and I think they should tell us who said it was spam so we can contact that customer and see why they think it was spam.
It could be a competetor trying to get you shut down and Constant Contact is helping them instead of you.
So how do we get it changed?
Lindel
Occasional Advisor

Spam Complaint

One potential problem with the permission reminder. If I recall correctly, the opt-out button permenantly removes the subscriber. Is that right? If so, the person that unsubscribes because they don't want to take a vacation for a while (I'm in the travel industry) can never subscribe again even though they may be interested in the future. Any thoughts?
Participant

Spam Complaint

Thanks for all the comments. I was also wondering, since everyone can easily opt out - why I had a SPAM report. My sign-up requires confirmation before they are on the list, but of course, priorities change, people change their minds. I was feeling 'like I might be arrested'!!! but now I understand a little better. I surely do not want to waste my time sending newsletters to people who dont want it. But I also do not want to be considered a 'spammer'
Participant

Spam Complaint

One thought about 'never can subscribe' again is that making a new yahoo email is easy. But I guess we are all trying to build up email lists, so we dont want anyone permanently removed, I just figure, se la vie. Having a newsletter is hard work, and often very underappreciated!
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Spam Complaint

Well, I did it. I added the permission reminder to the top of my last email blast. Predictably, my unsubscribe rate doubled. Suprisingly, my spam reports remained at about the same elevated level as my previous one. I'm starting to think that the previous post regarding aol subscribers being able to report as spam based on the subject line may be true. If this is the case, given the number of misleading "information you requested" subject lines used by spammers, I wonder what I can try.

I don't mind the unsubscribes so much as I do the spam reports. I do want to market to people that are interested and do not want to bug those that are not. It's the people that are reporting me as spam but don't understand what that means that are bothering me.
Solution Provider

Spam Complaint

So ... what was the subject line that displayed in their mail box?
Occasional Participant

Spam Complaint

What about emails that automatically end up in Spam boxes? I've been on CC for about 3 months and my open rate is about 30%. I had heard previously that a lot of people had complaints about email from CC automatically being classified as Spam. My sister just sent a newsletter from a new account and it went to my Spam box.

Spam Complaint

I signed up for Constant Contact to keep members in our Harley Owners Group chapter apprised of our events and rides. In the past, our Director was using his own ISP email to send notices, and it was getting pretty traumatic for him because he had to divide the addresses into groups of twenty and do multiple sends. Sometimes he'd forget who he had and hadn't sent notices to, resulting in some people getting two or three notices and others receiving nothing. Other times his email would freeze before he finished sending the notices. No wonder the chapter didn't hear much from him.

Everyone on our list is a H.O.G. member in our chapter who voluntarily gave a contact email address when joining the chapter -- and yet I still get the occasional spam report! We don't even allow opt-ins or forwards with our emails, since being on the distribution list is a perk of H.O.G. membership.

I suppose it's a training issue. I'm going to have to emphasize to them that if they don't care to know what the chapter is doing, go ahead and opt out, but for goodness' sakes don't follow it up with a spam report!

Darn bikers.