cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam Complaint

Spam Complaint

The reality is as long as people have the POWER of clicking a conveniently placed button SPAM you will have spam complaints.

Spam Complaint

I went from 0-3 spam complaints for each 16,000 member mailing that I sent each week. All of a sudden, my spam rates shot up to 30-40 complaints per mailing!!! I called CC, they said that they changed the way that they collect spam complaints. I was proactive about asking, but they put me on list review on the spot. I had to send out a confirmed opt-in to keep my account!

I went from 16,000 members to 2,500 members after I did a confirmed opt-in.

Pure BS.
Occasional Advisor

Spam Complaint

Oh...I almost forgot to mention. I did my permission reminder and spam complaints were the same as the mailing without the permission reminder. My opt outs did, however, double. Gotta love that.

I'm just not sure what to do. I hate to change services but, I would anticipate similar results elsewhere.

Spam Complaint

"The War On Spam" is more of an ISP marketing gimmick

I think most of us can agree there is a major difference between "Commercial" and "Spam" email we all receive.

Like most people I receive over a hundred "spam" emails a day from shadowy emailers. I don't know who they are, where they are or how they got my email address. Virtually none of them are using commercial email companies like Constant Contact or their competitors.

On the other hand, I may receive a "commercial" email from a company I've provided my email address to in the past. I may or may not read it (or even want it). But I know who the company is. This type of commercial email accounts for perhaps 1 out of 100 emails in my junk folder.

Yet the ISP's don't seem to recognize or even care about the difference between commercial email and spam. They are taking the easy way out. They put pressure on highly visible companies (with known IP addresses) like Constant Contact who in turn puts pressure on commercial emailers like us. This whole forum is about how to jump through the resulting hoops. Yet none of this is going to impact the amount of spam we all receive.

Until the root of the problem is recognized and addressed by the ISP's, this "War on Spam" will remain a fake war. It's more of a marketing gimmick on the part of ISP's to consumers. We all see the media blitzes of how they are protecting us from "spam". Ulltimately I don't think the ISP's care. If they did, they would leave commercial emailers alone and go after the real spammers. But that would take more effort, ingenuity and problem solving skills than they seem to possess.

I have a number of clients and am trying to find a commercial email service that has a proper relationship with ISP's. Among other things, that relationship would recognize the fact that some recipients are going to press the "spam" button by mistake (or maliciously) when they simply want to delete themselves. That relationship would recognize the fact that most consumers don't know the difference between commercial and spam emails. Nobody has educated them or even talks about the difference.

I don't know if there is an email service that has this type of relationship with ISP's. If anybody knows of one, could you please contact me?

Best regards

John

PS

I just sent my first Constant Contact campaign on 6000 "mature" addresses six hours ago. They are ALL customers who created an account on an online store, they've ALL received prior campaigns using Netsuite CRM and NONE of them were acquired via outside email lists. So far we have 4 "Spam Reports".
Occasional Advisor

Spam Complaint

Just out of curiosity, does anyone's list seem to be performing well at this time with regard to spam complaints? I'm primarily curious about commercial lists as opposed to club and the like.
Solution Provider

Spam Complaint

Mind passing along a link to the eZines checker?
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Spam Complaint

The ezine spam checker can be found at: http://www.ezinecheck.com/spam.php

Interesting checker in as much as it searches for words in your copy. For example, exclamation points and the phrase "click here" seem to really set it off.

On a side note, I just sent my campaign an hour ago and received 2 spam complaints and a total of 8 opt outs. A total of 2 of the opt outs were aol addresses. I can't say conclusively that aol is a source of the problem but it may well be.

I'll monitor my results and make a few more posts over the next few days regarding the results. Maybe if we keep working together, we'll identify some more ways to improve our spam report problem. I know that DadBlaze pointing out that my subject line wouldn't pass his spam filters set me down a new path looking at the problem since CC's spam checker gave me a 0.0 score. Let's see how using the new spam checker from ezine affects my results.
Solution Provider

Spam Complaint

Gave the checker a shot -- but I keep getting a "blank screen" as a result. Think I will try it later in the day.
Solution Provider

Spam Complaint

WOW! What a list of posts on this topic!

I am new to CC but have been doing large email campaigns for nearly a decade. I am visiting the forum because of the very issues being expressed here.

We have a very well managed list that has been successfully growing over my tenure as it's keeper and in our first moderately large send, we were confronted with 16/5000 spam complaints and stopped from sending the rest of our list.

After a "List Review" which, as some here have mentioned, felt more like the Spanish Inquisition than a customer service discussion, we were once again "allowed" to send another small list of about 4000 names that went out last night. In the first hour we received about 6 spam complaints. I expect to be confronted with the need to confirm our entire list if we are to continue using CC as our solution for bulk emailing.

Reading some of the posts here which mention fractional success in getting folks to re-opt, I am dubious that this is going to be a viable approach for us.

Many have asked, but I seem to be missing the answer. Who can someone recommend as an alternative solution to CC? Does anyone have any experience with Vertical Response? HELP!
Occasional Participant

Spam Complaint

I am new to CC as of a couple of weeks ago. I have a small list in comparison to many of you (600). My list is 100% paying customers, and they have all opted-in through an option on my web site (not through CC's opt-in). I did a mailing last week and got 1 spam report. Now based on what I'm reading here, I'm almost afraid to use CC! :oops:

I signed up because I was very impressed with the ease of use and flexibility of the templates, ease of use of the site, and the fact that the help pages have answered ALL the questions I've had. The flexibility of the templates is of primary importance to me because I am not an HTML guru. If anyone can recommend a provider who has such good flexibility, would you please PM me?