cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam Complaint

Occasional Advisor

Spam Complaint

My August newsletter blast had 3 spam reports for about 10,200 Emails. My previous one in July had 0. In June I had 10 and May about 5.

I find this hard to believe. I've asked Constant Contact numerous times if they are aol, hotmail addresses, etc. but they won't tell me.

I've cut my spam reports doing the following, but I still get complaints!

*I used to Email everyone who signed our guestbook. Now I've added a final question. Do you wish to receive our newsletter? I add the "no" to our do not mail list and then I Email the "yes" people an opt in message from constant contact just to make sure.

*I Email all of our new entries from ACT! an opt in message. A lot of these entries are from trade shows.

Does anyone else have ideas??? I really think people don't even know half the time that they are flagging Emails as spam!!
Occasional Advisor

Spam Complaint

Jiovanny wrote:
How can I avoid been classified
as Spammer?

What can I do to keep the spam numbers Low?

If you have a guestbook on your Web site, add a question like "Do you wish to receive our newsletter?" Add the "no" to your do not mail list and Email the "yes" a opt in confirmation from constant contact.

Also, if you have a CRM database, pull the newest entries and send them a confirmation Email as well. Unfortunately, sales guys put everyone into our database, so I pull the latest entries and send them an Email confirmation.

I hope that helps!
Solution Provider

Spam Complaint

I doubt sincerely that "real spammers" are using CC - it costs money to use the service! These days, most are using "zombie" PCs to do their bidding - those that have been infected with specific trojan horse programs that allow them to take control and do whatever they like.

However, you gave your assuances that the list was "clean" to CC when you checked those boxes.

Now, maybe CC should set up a review when you have an initial mailing list over x number of records. If someone wanted to add 7,500 emails, then I sure would want to know where you got them!
Occasional Advisor

Spam Complaint

I really like the e-zine spam checker. It has really opened my eyes to what text based spam systems might be seeing when my emails come though.

One thing it showed me is that the name of my company is bad. "Cruises and Tours Unlimited" has the word "unlimited" in it which it gives almost a full point. Anything over a total of 3 or so points is risky.

Geez...can I catch a break? lol...
All Star

Spam Complaint

Add me to the list of increased spam reports! I'm getting ready to send another mailing (i hope).. and to be honest, I am scared to death. I do NOT want to require confirmed opt-in .. what's the point of paying for a service then? If I have to go from 5000 customers to 300 on a list, I might as well send them out manually.

There have obviously been changes in the way CC does business.. and this needs to be taken into consideration when requiring list reviews.. I think our length of time with CC, total mailings sent, and total previous spam complaints should also count for TONS in this evaluation.

I agree that CC needs to participate in these discussion boards for this to be a truly helpful discussion board.. otherwise, it's just a place for us to vent this issue... and maybe share a couple great ideas for those willing to stay with all these list reviews going on!
All Star

Spam Complaint

I found it amusing that it added points for the word "instant" from CC's own verbage for the unsubscribe portion :badgrin:
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Spam Complaint

In my ongoing efforts to report to this board the changes I make (and their results) in each blast to reduce my spam complaints, here are my latest results:

-I scrubbed my message against CC's, Lyris', and E-zines spam checkers and came back clean.
-I added a personal greeting to part of my list (ie., Hello ). Spam reports for that part of the list went down. In fact, in the first 24 hours, no reports. Hmmmm...I may be on to something.
-The rest of the list performed as prior blasts have. 1:3 spam report to opt out ratio. I assume that will change to 1:2 when the aol/hotmail people check their email this week and bulk report me.

I'd like to try putting their name in the subject line. Anyone know how to do this?

I'll keep you posted as my "experiments" yield more results.

Occasional Advisor

Spam Complaint

Can I just put something to the effect of "'s Monthly Update" in the subject line? Or would something along the lines of:

's Monthly Cruise Update from Cruises and Tours Unlimited
Cruises and Tours Unlimited's Monthly Cruise Update!

Solution Provider

Spam Complaint

On page 57 it says:
Quote:
As of our organization, we ...

So I would suppose that to use it in a subject you would need 's Weekly Update.

Of course, I would probably put some error checking in there, just to be sure it always works -- what if you don't have a first name on a record?

's 

Cruises and Tours Unlimited's Monthly Cruise Update

Otherwise you'd be duplicating the line. The function, does not have an condition (which would be a nice enhancement ... )
Occasional Advisor

Spam Complaint

I'll test it out and let you know what happens.

Just for the record, I really appreciate all that you contribute around here, DadBlaze.:d