cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's Your Open Rate?

Occasional Participant

What's Your Open Rate?

P.S. When I look at my opens, several of my customers open my emails again and again. Now, sometimes I know they are going back to check on things or to forward my newsletter to others. (especially if their own picture is in there!)

But I'm not sure if reopens are counted as opens or not. Anybody know?

Maggie
http://www.walkforallseasons.com
Solution Provider

What's Your Open Rate?

There are several threads that have discussed how "opens" are calculated, but, in short, no, multiple opens do not count.

There are several factors that count against opens, like image blockers, people reading text only versions, etc. And we have also found a condition where someone showed up having clicked a link -- but not on the opens -- and was not counted.

Occasional Participant

What's Your Open Rate?

ilovemarketing wrote:
I would love to hear what people's open rates are. I know that a 30-40% rate is considered good. Are yours better or worse? If yours are low, do you have any thoughts on why? If they are better, can you share what you are doing that others can learn from? Thanks!:d

I have been using Constant Contact for about 3 years. I have found the following. Understand, our entire list is self subscribers. That said, since everyone is self subscribed, I would expect a better open rate.

Our open rate is just over 40% while our recent click through rate is only 28%. What amazes me is that I always have someone report me for spam. My list is small, just over 1500 members. Is 1 - 4 spam reports each mailing going to hurt me?

What's Your Open Rate?

I run a blog (about international efforts for converting waste into ethanol) and have only collected about 1,100 subscribers.

I send out a digest of article titles to my subscriber base at the end of each month with an average open rate of 40% and a click thru of 40%. What I like about it is that I can see which articles which people are reading.

I would like to know if there is some way to encourage people to forward the digests to other people - I get about 1% of those.

BTW, here is my NEW! IMPROVED! email signature thanks to what I learned from this Forum...

--
C. Scott Miller
Bioconversion Blog
http://bioconversion.blogspot.com/

Join the BioConversion Blog eMailing List to receive a free monthly digest of articles.
Simply click http://visitor.constantcontact.com/optin.jsp?m=1101161107270&ea= to sign in.

What's Your Open Rate?

:d Hi, I'm William and I am putting out a newsletter on cooking to advertise FreeStoreClub. I have put out two newsletters so far and my open rate is about 37% and click through about 17%.l

william.king1@comcast.net

All Star

What's Your Open Rate?

48.3%, with 39.2% click through ... this is my overall sent to 39033. My last campaign was sent to 3703, 44.1% open, and 36.2% ct.

I typically send newsletters with new product announcements.. always with a coupon code of some sort. My customers now actually email me asking when my next mailing will be!
Occasional Participant

What's Your Open Rate?

Boy, I thought I was doing really well till I saw some of these numbers! Our overall open rate is about 21%, with overall click through 13%. (We sell workbooks that teach kids, teens and college students how to manage their money.) We've only been doing CC for about a year, and I do love it (especially in terms of cost and usability), but expect that it will take a bit of time to get the right mix of email content, frequency and address collection to increase these numbers.

I love this new forum: it's great hearing what other onliners are doing.

Maureen Dolan Rosen
The Cash Management Connection
cashworkbooks.com
Developer

What's Your Open Rate?

Another piece of this argument: Any longtime users seeing your open rates go down?
We've seen our rates drop from 54% in 2004 to about 36% in 2006. We're still on confirmed opt-in; our roughly 6,000 users still want to hear from us. I think spam filters are getting more ruthless with Constant Contact, both with its server IP addresses and the way it routes links through its servers. Anyone else seeing a similar trend?
Solution Provider

What's Your Open Rate?

It appears that a number of ISPs (sbcglobal for one) as well as local firewalls are blocking the 1x1 gif images used for tracking. That will have an effect on your open rates for sure.

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

What's Your Open Rate?

I do a daily newsletter of consumer finance topics for a voluntary benefit association and the open rate is only 10%. This is much lower than other email users reported but has been consistent for me since the beginnineg, even before ConstantContact. Yet the volume of new information in this field warants the frequency of publication, and these 10% who read it are loyal and e-mail me with concerns when I take a break from publishing for vacation or personal reasons. The e-mail newsletter contains summaries of articles posted online and so the click through rate to see the whole article is higher than published for other types of e-mail.

So the only thing that I have noticed changing over the past few years is the "spam complaints" that soared in recent months as ISPs added the convenience button that is easier than unsubscribing. Other results and ratios remain constant. I am looking into tactful ways to let readers know that a spam complaint is different than an unsubscribe request and to request that they use the unsubscrible button instead.

The open rate seems pretty much out of my control, so I have not been concerned with it. The only practical suggestion I have received regarding the open rate is to find a more attractive name for the newsletter to draw favorable attention before it is opened. I agree, and am working on it.