cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LEARN MORE: Define Your Own List Segments

When you take the time to segment your contact lists and send the right message to the right people, you get better open rates and overall engagement with your emails. Segments allow you to create customized groups of contacts by looking at your contacts as a whole, despite how many lists you have, and filtering them into a group by list membership, contact information, and email engagement. Once you've created your segments, they're ready for you when you're ready to schedule an email.

Interested to learn more? Click here to visit our Knowledge Base. 

Any questions? Ask below!

Nick_S.

Hey! I'm Nick and I am the Social Media & Content Manager for the Community and Social Care team here at Constant Contact, aka @CTCTHelp on Twitter. When I'm not at work you can find me kayaking, hiking, and recording a weekly podcast!

4 Comments
Occasional Participant

We have a number of different lists and emails sent out on a daily and weekly basis. When I select "didn't open last 5 emails" AND select a certain list, is it only choosing the emails that went to that list?

This is a subtle thing, but very important, as I want to be sure to only get the people who did not open the emails that went to that specific list (as opposed to other emails, to lists that they may also be a member of).

Thank you very much!

CTCT Employee

If you have a segment with criteria of "didn't open last 5 emails AND on a certain list", then you'll get back the contacts who are on that certain list and did not open any of the last 5 emails sent, regardless of which lists those last 5 emails were sent to.

For example, contact Jane Doe may be on List A, List B, and List C. You sent Email 1, Email 2, and Email 3 to List A, then sent Email 4 and Email 5 to List B. Jane receives all 5 emails, but doesn't open any of them. You then create the segment of didn't open last 5 emails and on List C. The contact Jane Doe would be returned in this case.

Jennifer Bubriski

Group Product Manager, Constant Contact

Occasional Contributor

Is it possible to create a segment based on the contact being in BOTH of two separate lists?

CTCT Employee

MJ313 - Not right now, but we only recently released the segments feature, so it's great to get the feedback that that's something you'd find useful. We'll certainly be improving this feature over time.

Jennifer Bubriski

Group Product Manager, Constant Contact