cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LEARN MORE: Define Your Own List Segments

When you take the time to segment your contact lists and send the right message to the right people, you get better open rates and overall engagement with your emails. Segments allow you to create customized groups of contacts by looking at your contacts as a whole, despite how many lists you have, and filtering them into a group by list membership, contact information, and email engagement. Once you've created your segments, they're ready for you when you're ready to schedule an email.

Interested to learn more? Click here to visit our Knowledge Base. 

Any questions? Ask below!

Nick_S.

Hey! I'm Nick and I am the Social Media & Content Manager for the Community and Social Care team here at Constant Contact, aka @CTCTHelp on Twitter. When I'm not at work you can find me kayaking, hiking, and recording a weekly podcast!

11 Comments

Can I create a custom field in segmentation? I would like to segment by "emails that end in lausd.net Thanks! 

CTCT Employee

Hi @CharityS2,

That's a great question and thanks for asking! You can create a Segment based on a specific email domain by using the Advanced contacts search function and saving those contacts as a new email list. This resource provides the step-by-step instructions for you: Segment Your Lists Using Contact Details. Please let us know if you need any further assistance with this!

Occasional Contributor

I created a segment listing of individuals who haven't opened our emails.  There are several thousand names, and we want to purge that group.  How do I delete those contacts en-masse?

CTCT Employee

@DaveM4302 Hi! Creating segments are a great way to help manage your contacts. To purge a segmented group of contacts, you will need to create a list of those contacts and then delete that list. Let me know if I can assist you with anything else!

Hi, I have 2 segment questions:

1.  In addition to the activity parameter of sending to those who were not sent the last 5 emails and those who weren't sent a specific email, do you foresee in the future adding the ability to select those who weren't sent MULTIPLE specific emails of your choosing?  For example, maybe there was an email sent earlier than your last 5 for which you want to be sure your new segment was not sent, in addition to a few other emails that were more recently sent.

2.  Do the segments build on one another? 
i.e. If segment A's parameters are that the contacts did not receive email A, then I send that email B, when I go to email the segment C and say to send to those who didn't receive email B, does that automatically mean it's filtering for those who didn't receive email A OR email B, or just email B?

Thanks,

Lindsay