cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Up Your Email Design with a Background Pattern

CTCT Employee

If you use the same email design over and over, adding a simple background pattern is a great way to change things up! It’s become a standard tool in email design adding a visual dimension to something that can otherwise appear two-dimensional and “flat”. Think of it as adding a bit of variation for the eye that enhances the content of your email. However, it should complement the design of your email campaign and not over-complicate it. Think of it as an easy way to create a professional and well-designed message! Here are some reasons why you should consider adding a background pattern…

Branding

Your brand is distinctive and helps you make your mark. And including a background pattern that reinforces or accentuates your brand colors is a smart approach. You can select from standard or custom colors too. Here’s an example:

Go from this…                                                                                         To this…

2017-04-14_15-21-39.png

More Exciting

While still allowing for good readability, using a background pattern as a design element can add even more customization to your email campaigns. You can take your email campaign from basic to sensational with a single click! Check it out:

Go from this…                                                                                          To this…

2017-04-14_15-38-56.png

Impress

A well-used background pattern can help make the lasting impression you need to succeed. Think of it as bringing on the wow factor! Take a look:

Go from this…                                                                                        To this…

2017-04-14_15-40-29.png

Don’t worry if you don’t think you have an eye for it – we make it easy! Our email templates already come with the ability to select either a solid background or a patterned background. In the editing area just click Design and select Change Pattern. Then use the scroll bar to find a pattern you like, click on it to apply it to your email campaign, and then click the X to return to the Design tab:

2017-04-14_14-01-29.png

Adding a background image can help attract more focus to the content all the while accentuating your brand colors, making your email more exciting, and impressing your readers. Remember to preview and test your email campaign to both desktop and mobile before sharing it with your contacts. You’ll want to ensure it looks its best!

Have any questions about the above article? Let us know! We’d also love to know your favorite or “go to” background pattern that you regularly use in your email campaigns.

Nichelle_M

Hi, I'm Nichelle and I’ve been with Constant Contact since 2012. I love my job because I get to help guide small businesses and non-profits with building and supporting their own customer relationships. I have a passion for helping others, and it’s so rewarding to hear success stories from our incredible customers! I also very much appreciate being a part of the giving culture of Constant Contact and the value placed on customer and community support.

4 Comments
Visitor

Is it possible to upload our own pattern?  

CTCT Employee

Hello @WiDN,

Thanks for reaching out on the Community and for your interest in this particular feature. At this time, we cannot yet upload patterns of our own. I will be sure to pass along your request for this feature as I can understand the importance of being able to customize the entirety of your email. Let us know if you have any further questions, we are always happy to assist!

Please tell me what I am doing wrong. The first newsletter I did, in April, I used a standard template and the background was a solid color with lines in it. In May, I replaced that with a background picture. For June, I want a solid color with one of the patterns I see in the Q & As here but I do not see an an option for this. I click on Design at the top but there is  no option to do anything with the background. It just says Background color and Background image. HELP! Thanks in advance!

Hello @CamilleM5,

Thank you for reaching out! The reason you are not seeing the options presented in the original post is because they are featured in the third-generation editor while you are still using our second-generation. If you would like to learn more about the third-generation editor I recommend reading this article. If you are interested in using the third-generation editor please reach out to us at social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com with your username and a reference to this post and I would be happy to assist you in updating your account.