cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use GIFs in your campaign

We know GIFs as those little animated images that you see on different websites. But did you know that you can insert GIFs into your Constant Contact campaigns

grootwow.gif

That's right! You can upload and insert a GIF just as you would a regular image. Adding a GIF into your campaign can certainly liven up a static campaign and add some personality. Here are a few things you should know before adding a GIF into your campaign.

• Just like images, GIFs need to be under 5MB in size in order to be uploaded into the Constant Contact library. 
  • Less = more. Putting too many GIFs into a campaign can be distracting and pull your reader away from the message you are sending. Just a few will do!
  • Right along the lines of less = more, choose GIFs that are shorter in length (like the one I used above). Longer GIFs are larger in file size and may not even upload properly but they also take your readers' focus away from your message.
  • There are some email clients that don't support GIFs and will only show the first frame of the GIF. It's important to keep this in mind and send yourself previews to make sure that the first frame still makes sense even if the GIF doesn't play. 

So, how can you use a GIF in your campaign? Here are few suggestions:

• Display a reaction - are you excited about a sale that you are having or want to promote something great happening with your business or organization? Show your readers how excited you are by using a GIF!
  • Support your message - Maybe you work for a nonprofit animal shelter and you are trying to raise money. Try including a GIF of cats or dogs so your readers remember who their donation would be helping.
  • Show personality - Readers love seeing personality in an email. Use a GIF to have a fun opening or closing message. Maybe like this:
whale.gif

Want more ideas on how to use GIFs? Look no further than our Blog!

We're interested to know how you will use GIFs in your campaigns. Feel free to let us know or share your "giffed out" campaign on our Critique My Campaign board! As always, we are here to answer any questions you might have as well. 

Caitlin_M

I am the Community and Social Care Manager at Constant Contact. I love being able to assist our customers here in the Community and through social media and help them succeed with their email marketing. Outside of work, I like to read, eat anything I can, sing loudly in my car, and plan my next adventure.

18 Comments
All Star

Thanks for letting us know this feature is available. May try for our email that goes out next week.

Hello @Traffic123. Glad that you found this feature! It's definitely a fun addition to put in your emails. Feel free to use the short URL for your campaign so you can show off what GIF you'll be using! We'd love to see it

All Star

Currently I've tested an email with a GIF, but it's only 'animated' on mobile not desktop. An I doing something wrong or is this normal? 

CTCT Employee

Hi @TJOCE,

Thanks for reaching out and we're sorry to hear this! While this is a great way to change up your regular emails and add a personal touch to your marketing not all email clients support animated GIFs. Given that you'll want to make sure to add a caption or include an image description just in case the GIF doesn't play. It sounds as though this is what you're experiencing!

Visitor

When I add, test & send email with a GIF, I am seeing it animate in the builder, in the inbox & in the test emails, but it no longer loops, plays once then freezes. Mobile & desktop, 5 different email browsers.