cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Happy Turkey Day! In recognition of Thanksgiving our Support office will be closed Thursday (11/23). We will be open Friday (11/24) for limited hours (10:00am - 6pm ET) and will be back to normal hours on Monday (11/27).

Include / Exclude Tags

I am super excited to reveal an oft-requested update to our “Tag” feature. You can now exclude tags when sending your campaign! This is a great addition to the product as it opens up more flexibility when scheduling your campaigns so you can ensure the right people get the right email. Please keep in mind this feature is only available in our Third Generation Editor

So, how does this work? Let’s take a look at an example of scheduling including a tag: We have a popular example to use around the support floor when discussing tags. “Imagine you’re a pet store owner and you cater to dog owners and cat owners. For simplicity’s sake, you have a general mailing list because many of your email campaigns are about store-wide promotions and events. But occasionally, you have something that really only benefits dog owners. This is where tags come into play. When you get to the scheduling page, after selecting your general mailing list, there will be an option to narrow recipients by tag. This way if you only want to send to dog owners you can select their tag and schedule away.”

Now, as you will see in the picture below, there is a way to exclude tags as well. And it’s super easy!

Let’s say you have one mailing list and three tags: Dog Owners, Cat Owners, and Bird Owners. You have a promotion that only targets dog owners and cat owners. Now you can choose to exclude bird owners from receiving the mailing. And who likes bird owners, anyway? Just kidding!

pic.png

But wait, Nick. If I want to exclude bird owners why don’t I just select Dog Owners and Cat Owners and choose the option “Send only to contacts who are also tagged with?” You certainly could! So let’s look at an example where it would make more sense to exclude a particular tag:

Let’s say that you have created multiple lists for the different contacts you have met at conventions or events you have attended. You want to send out an end-of-year donation email but want to exclude the people who have already donated throughout the year. You have already gone through and tagged the contacts that made donations and are now ready to send the email. You choose to exclude the people with the “already donated” tag and off the email goes! As more people donate you can then go back and add more contacts to the “already donated” tag in case you need to send the email out again.

Tags transcend the boundaries of lists. You have multiple lists that serve specific functions or cater to specific audiences but sometimes you need to either target a group of people that overlap between the different lists or exclude a group of people where the content going out to all your lists isn’t relevant.

Anyone have successful tag stories? What do you find useful about using tags?

Nick_S.

Hi, my name is Nick and I have been working for Constant Contact since 2015! I work with the Community and Social Media Support team. I love working with our customers to make their use of Constant Contact a success! Pro tip: When you can link to another source (website, PDF, etc.); do it. When I am not at work I enjoy hiking mountains, kayaking, and flipping pencils in the air.

4 Comments
Visitor

Is this feature working correctly? I attempted to use it on an email this morning, and instead of sending to the list EXCEPT my chosen tag, it sent it ONLY to my chosen tag, the exact opposite of what it was supposed to do. It wasn't an issue of choosing the wrong selection. I attempted to resend the email, double checking I was selecting the "Don't send" option, and the resend failed because it said I would not be sending to any new contacts.

CTCT Employee

Hello @LukeM687. I'm so sorry that this happened to you and we certainly want to investigate what happened when this email was scheduled to send to these contacts. Could you please email us at social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com with your username, a reference to this post, the name of the campaign you had sent and any additional information that may be useful?

All Star

Are you able to exclude certain tags and include certain tags as part of one campaign's email list?

Occasional Contributor

This might be a useful feature but it is impossible to add a tag to multiple contacts using the UI or API. This makes using tags a painful and frustrating process, and the only option is to export groups of contacts and reimport them in groups if that even works. The UI purports to offer the ability to apply tags or lists to a group of contacts but it does not work and is a complete failure. This has been an issue for months, if not years, and CC will not fix the issue. Managing lists and segments is a complete nightmare!!! I am beginning to question CC's ability to provide reliable services at any level and I don't trust any of the features to work. This is a bad joke to pay $100 a month for a service that has so many bugs. 

Loading script asynchronously