cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Including Emojis in the Subject Line for the Third-Generation Editor

CTCT Employee

giphy-downsized.gif

Having the ability to include emojis in the subject line of a Constant Contact email has been a popular request from our customers. We are happy to let you know that this is now possible in our third-generation editor!

For those that don't know, emojis are small picture icons that represent objects, emotions, and actions. Including them in your subject line can help your campaign stand out and show a little bit of whimsy, if used appropriately. 

Here is a link to our article that will show you how to include emojis in your emails. But how can you make sure that you are using them correctly?

1. Test, test, test!

We always recommend testing your emails before sending but this should definitely be done when including emojis. Different email clients and mobile devices can read emojis differently (or sometimes not at all). However, emojis do not show in test emails so you will need to send the email in order to see the emojis in your inbox. We suggest creating a list with your email on it and maybe a few others in order to test on different devices, email clients, and browsers. After testing, you can then make a copy and send your email to your contacts. 

2. Use sparingly

Just like exclamation marks or other types of punctuation, too many emojis in a subject line can turn off readers and maybe even get your email marked as spam. Use emojis to capture an emotion or show the tone of your email, like using a happy face to show you're excited about an update you want to share. Or maybe you work with animals. Your contacts don't need to see a whole zoo so keep it simple with one or two animal emojis. 

3. Keep it relevant

Using seasonal and holiday emojis are a great way to stay relevant. The weather is getting warmer here and using a sun emoji would be great to add to a subject line about your business' summer hours. A financial institution may think that emojis are not for them, but there are plenty of more "conservative" emojis that can be used in your subject line, such as a graph or a clock for time-sensitive information. 

Check out some additional best practices for using emojis in your subject line here!

We can't wait to see how our customers will be using emojis in their emails. Want to show off your creative subject line? Comment below with a screenshot! 

Caitlin_M

I've been working at Constant Contact since October 2015 and have been a member of the Community & Social Media Support team since July 2016. I love being able to assist our customers through phone support, social media, and also here in the Community and help them succeed with their email marketing. Outside of work, I like to read, eat anything I can, sing loudly in my car, and plan my next adventure.

15 Comments
Frequent Visitor

I would like to switch to the 3rd gen editor, please.

thanks

CTCT Employee

Hey @ChailleC,

After reviewing your account it appears that you already have the new editor turned on! In order access the new editor you would need to create a brand new campaign from scratch. To do this you can go to the Campaigns page, then click 'Create' in the right hand corner, choose 'Email', and then pick a template you would like to use!

Frequent Visitor

ok, thanks!

How do I switch to 3rd Gen?

CTCT Employee

Hi @GreggO87858

If you're interested in switching your account over to our Third-Generation Editor this is something we can do free of charge! Feel free to respond to this post letting us know if you would like to be updated.