cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Overview] How to Get Started with Custom Code

CTCT Employee
Custom Code: Commons Questions For Beginners
What you need to know to get started

Whether you are a seasoned designer, or it's the first time you have touched code the best thing to do is dive right in and have fun! But where do you start? What do you need to know to make your own email? Don't fret, there are only a few basics that you need to learn when making your first custom coded email.

To begin, start by learning about tables, images, and links. These are the most basic elements needed to create a structure that email clients will understand. Coding  for emails is a little different than making a webpage. Email clients like a tabled structure versus one based on <div> tags that webpages are often built using. You can certainly still use <div> tags, but including a table as the main frame will help define the boundaries better for email clients.

For security reasons defined by the industry itself, the format is very much like working with HTML 2.0. The code is very simple so that nothing nefarious can be embedded into an email. Also, each email client has its own set of rules, and there are plenty of them. While this could be a whole article on its own, let's get you started with taking a look at some of the differences in email clients and what they will (or will not) display in our Knowledge Base.

There are a lot of different places to learn about HTML for free. A quick search in your favorite search engine will provide a pretty decent selection of places to get started learning code for free. There are many paid options as well, as you become more advanced with your coding.

One example of a free to use site https://www.w3schools.com*. This site has a lot to offer, it is a great reference and is set up just like a searchable dictionary. It contains lessons that start at the most simple code to the most complex with examples that you can try as well. Keep in mind that not all things referenced on this site will apply to emails; however, if you stick to a few basic items the page is much less intimidating.

w3schoolscom_gray.gif

If you are new to Constant Contact and have yet to create an email, our Knowledge Base Article on how to access the Advanced Editor may help. Want to learn more about coding specifically for emails or another advanced topic? Leave your ideas in the comments below and you could see your idea pop up as one of future posts!

*Please note, any links we provide from non-Constant Contact sites or information about non-Constant Contact products or services are provided as a courtesy and should not be construed as an endorsement by Constant Contact.

Sue_Mc

Hello, my name is Sue and I have been with Constant Contact since June of 2009. For the last 7+ years my time has been spent in Tier 2 assisting customers and support via chat, email, and phones. Outside of work I enjoy learning code, reading, I am an avid crocheter, I love video games, and spending quality time with my 21 year old cat. I am new to writing for the Community, and have high hopes that we will have great discussions about technical issues.

2 Comments
Frequent Visitor

How i get Receipient Email Address in body? 

CTCT Employee

Hello @First-NameL60732,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Here is an article that will show you the contact fields and how you can insert them via a Custom Code email. If you have any questions on this process, you can reach out to our support line and we can transfer you over to one of our specialized teams that can assist you with the Custom Code format. Here is a link to our support line. Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist with today.