cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Due to an issue with YouTube, inserting videos in your emails is showing an error. Until they are able to resolve this issue, we recommend using a different video hosting service. We will continue to monitor this outage and update you as we have more information.

What Are Suspended Bounces?

Administrator

Keeping your contact lists clean and up to date is a great way to improve your deliverability rate and also your open rate. One way that we recommend doing this is to look at the bounces for each campaign that you send out. In your Constant Contact account, we give you the reason why a particular contact bounced. Some are self-explanatory, like Vacation/auto-reply or Non-existent.

So what exactly does it mean when a contact is Suspended?

Repeatedly sending emails to Non-existent email addresses can have a negative impact on your deliverability rateA Suspended contact is an address that has consistently bounced as Non-existent. If this happens, the email address is put on a temporary hold for 15 days. During this time, our system will not attempt to send any campaigns to this address from any Constant Contact account. If an account attempts to send to a Suspended address, it will be included in that campaign's Suspended bounce category under the reporting

example_of_suspended_category.png

After the temporary hold is lifted, we will attempt to send to this address the next time that an email is scheduled for them to receive. If the address bounces as Non-existent again, the email address will be placed on an indefinite hold. We do not automatically remove these contacts, however, we do list them as Recommended for Removal under your reporting.

What if you've never sent to this contact before and they already show as Suspended when you send your first email to them? Emails addresses can become Suspended from any Constant Contact account sending email to it. So although you haven't sent anything to them, there may have been another account that had tried to send to them in the past and we then note them as Suspended.

If you see an address listed as Suspended that you know is a good email address, you can contact our Support department to reset the address. However, this will not prevent it from becoming Suspended again in the future if it does bounce as Non-existent so you want to make sure that you have verified that this address is valid.

Want to know even more about these types of bounces? Check out this article that explores Suspended and Non-Existent bounces a little deeper. 

Caitlin_M

I am the Community and Social Care Manager at Constant Contact. I love being able to assist our customers here in the Community and through social media and help them succeed with their email marketing. Outside of work, I like to read, find the best taco around, and plan my next adventure.

11 Comments

If I updated a suspended contact's email address, will they be removed from the suspended list or do I still need to call?

In other words, is the contact name suspended or the contact email?

Hi @LivingstonParishChamberofC

That's a great question! The good news is if you have updated a contact, their new email address will not be on the suspended list. Our system recognizes contacts by their emails and not their names.

Visitor

I have had two "bounces" in my campaigns in September, both from confirmed 100% valid email addresses, from two members of my non-profit who have no idea why the Constant Contact email message was rejected, folks who routinely get other emails with no problems. What is it about a Constant Contact email message that would generate an invalid bounce?

Marketing Advisor

Hi @AndrewK645 . There are a few reasons why an email may bounce when sent to a valid email address. These reasons are recorded in the reporting for your email. This article explains why an email bounced, what could have caused it and what you can do to fix it. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Occasional Visitor

I have a few questions regarding blocked emails, can i have someone contact me (taylor.bryant@firstunitedbank.com)