Master email marketing fundamentals and transform your business. Join the Ready, Set, Send Challenge!

Add CAPTCHA to sign-up form to stop bots from flooding my account with fake sign-ups

SOLVED
Go to solution
KittredgeC
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

I am getting flooded with fake sign-ups through the Constant Contact sign-up form. Can't you do something to stop the bots from bombarding your sign-up forms?! I would like to hear that Constant Contact is trying to make its sign-up form more secure. Can't you add CAPTCHA or something to "prove you are human"???

I have confirmed opt-in, so these fakes do not actually get on my contact list. But my email box is jammed with automatic replies to my confirmation email. Today I received 75 of them! And they're all in German! (My email is in English) One day recently I got 85 new contacts awaiting confirmation. Normally I get one sign-up per day. These names all look fake, fake, fake!!! This is making it hard to find my real contacts and manage my personal email box.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @KittredgeC ,

All sign up forms made in our system have built-in reCAPTCHA. It's possible this is a more coordinated attack from someone manually signing up the contacts. To be honest, if you're being targeted by something like this, you have two options:

• Remove the sign up form that's being targeted from wherever you have it posted (an inline on your site, a Wordpress form if applicable, a landing page linked on your social pages, etc.)
  • Set your account up for Confirm Opt-In (requires turning on advanced permissions for your account), so any sign-ups have to explicitly click the link in the email they receive and navigate to the confirmation page, before they'll be active, billable, send-able contacts. 

Since you've already setup your account for reCAPTCHA, there's nothing further to do beyond removing the sign-up capabilities from your site entirely, if you don't want the fake contacts coming in but remaining in Awaiting Confirmation status. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
KittredgeC
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

I am getting flooded with fake sign-ups through the Constant Contact sign-up form. Can't you do something to stop the bots from bombarding your sign-up forms?! I would like to hear that Constant Contact is trying to make its sign-up form more secure. Can't you add CAPTCHA or something to "prove you are human"???

I have confirmed opt-in, so these fakes do not actually get on my contact list. But my email box is jammed with automatic replies to my confirmation email. Today I received 75 of them! And they're all in German! (My email is in English) One day recently I got 85 new contacts awaiting confirmation. Normally I get one sign-up per day. These names all look fake, fake, fake!!! This is making it hard to find my real contacts and manage my personal email box.

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @KittredgeC ,

All sign up forms made in our system have built-in reCAPTCHA. It's possible this is a more coordinated attack from someone manually signing up the contacts. To be honest, if you're being targeted by something like this, you have two options:

• Remove the sign up form that's being targeted from wherever you have it posted (an inline on your site, a Wordpress form if applicable, a landing page linked on your social pages, etc.)
  • Set your account up for Confirm Opt-In (requires turning on advanced permissions for your account), so any sign-ups have to explicitly click the link in the email they receive and navigate to the confirmation page, before they'll be active, billable, send-able contacts. 

Since you've already setup your account for reCAPTCHA, there's nothing further to do beyond removing the sign-up capabilities from your site entirely, if you don't want the fake contacts coming in but remaining in Awaiting Confirmation status. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here

73% of SMBs express doubt that their marketing strategy is effective. Does this sound familiar? Read our Small Business Now Report to learn how you can tweak your strategy to see better results.

Go read our article
Upcoming Webinars
SEP 30
How to Segment Your Email List in Constant Contact
11AM - 12PM EST