Got a 'How do I' question? Join our live 'Ask a Trainer' session happening now for instant help and pro tips!

Copy/Paste Table with Grid Lines

DeanD
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

Hi- Several years ago before the new update, I was able to copy/paste a table from Excel where the grid lines showed up and the columns were aligned. I copy/paste first name, last name, and affiliation of those that have registered for a meeting. I cannot believe that this copy/paste function no longer works. 

Top Answer
William_A
Administrator

Please see this video version of the GIF, with me copying data directly from Excel, and pasting it into a table within the email editor. You can paste into directly into tables, as shown in the video.

11 REPLIES 11
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @DeanD ,

Based on your recent call case, this is regarding uploading contacts? You can still type or paste multiple contacts' info at a time, as a means of importing them into your account. However, if you're using a spreadsheet to maintain your contacts, I'd generally recommend using the upload file method. That way you can pick and choose which columns of info you want to import / update for your contacts. 

Both of these import methods are the same as as they have been, for at least the past several years I've been here, and still function as they used to. Therefore, I'm not sure how recent of a "new update" you'd be referring to that would've changed this fundamental contact import functionality.

If this is regarding some other type of functionality, could you please elaborate a bit more on what you're trying to do with pasting these contacts' info into your Constant Contact account? 

See also:

Formatting contact files for import

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
DeanD
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

This has nothing to do with uploading contacts.   Copy/paste an Excel table into the body of an email message.  Very wonky and the grid lines do not show.  Try it for yourself and you will see.

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

I had no issue copy-pasting an Excel sheet's info into a table in the editor. Excel (and similar spreadsheet programs) data isn't meant to be pasted into a raw text block and maintain formatting, and I've never seen it ever used in such a way. Typically when setting up a table function in an email, we're going to encourage using the actual table block.

Is there a reason you're wanting to use a text block to include this kind of information, rather than a table block or simply link to an Excel file you upload to your account?

William A
DeanD
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

Oh my gosh.....the grid lines show here fine with copy/paste from excel though in the body of an email they do not.  you are not recreating the situation correctly.  If you create a table first, then you have to type one by one into the table.  Ugh.

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

The Community forum boards use a wholly separate system for posting compared to the email editor's various functionalities. They are not comparable in any way.

And no, you do not need to manually type into each individual cell for a table. If you create the table, you can paste an Excel's select cell info directly into it in full. For a quick gif recording of me doing just that:

copy into table.gif

William A
DeanD
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

See it doesn't work

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

As you'll see in the GIF, I highlighted several cells, then clicked into a single table cell and hit paste to get them all into individual cells within the table.

If you'd like to me to upload a full resolution video version of the GIF so you can distinctly see every detail of the screen and line, I can do that as well.

William A
DeanD
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

It shouldn't take this long.  If it works in this editor then it SURELY should in the body of an email.  OM gosh

DeanD
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

copy/paste into the table STILL is wonky.  All the grid lines do not show.

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Please see this video version of the GIF, with me copying data directly from Excel, and pasting it into a table within the email editor. You can paste into directly into tables, as shown in the video.

William A
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Please keep our Community Guidelines and Terms in mind when posting in the Community, whether you're leaving detailed, contributive feedback in the Ideas board, or seeking general support in the Questions & Discussions board or elsewhere.

William A
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Polls
How confident are you about the effectiveness of your current marketing strategy?

Top Choice: Not confident at all (66%)

73% of SMBs express doubt that their marketing strategy is effective. Does this sound familiar? Read our Small Business Now Report to learn how you can tweak your strategy to see better results.

Go read our article
Upcoming Webinars
Jun 05
Constant Contact Community Walkthrough and Demo
2PM - 3:00 PM EST