cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Due to an issue with YouTube, inserting videos in your emails is showing an error. Until they are able to resolve this issue, we recommend using a different video hosting service. We will continue to monitor this outage and update you as we have more information.

Cumulative Did Not Open Report

Cumulative Did Not Open Report

I want to remove contacts that have not opened my emails in over 12 months. Thanks, M

168 Comments
Status changed to: Voting Open

I would really like a way to filter out contacts that have never opened an email before.  If they are receiving the emails, but have them being automatically deleted I would like to be able to see that they are never opening anything and remove the contact after some time instead of paying for them to keep receiving emails. This would also be helpful in seeing which people that have full mailboxes due to them not using that email anymore.  Right now to see if a contacts email is always full I have to click on the contact and scroll through the sent emails to see if any of them say they are opened and for how long their email has been full.

This would also help in scrubbing the contacts that have had full mailboxes for extended periods of time indicating they no longer use that email.  I am always hesitant to remove an email that is listed under mailbox full as it could be someone who consistantly opens our marketing emails, but they just poorly managed their email space for a short period of time.

Visitor

Amen!!!!! 

I was on the phone with a support person for about 20 minutes yesterday discussing this!

It's FAR TOO Many Steps involved to look through every person, create a separate file and go back to your contact list to delete them. Doing this would take me at least 6 hours - way too tedious! 

At the same time, if I don't do this, I am paying almost twice as much per month. 

Thanks for posting! 

Occasional Visitor

I second this!! I have over 10,750 contacts and would like to purge those contacts who have not opened any emails for the last 6 months! As far as I can tell there is no way to do this without spending hours and hours looking at each contact individually! HELP!

Visitor

Hi 

I am trying to clean up my 3,000 contact list and would like to delete anyone who has not open a campaign in the last 2 years.

Is there a easy way to do this? 

YES!

Occasional Contributor

Wow. Is anyone from CC even reading these comments???

All Star

I've only got a relatively small contact list of around 200 people. At the moment we are leveled off at betweem 60% and 70% opening rates. I want to push through this barrier, but gettng the information is cumbersome.

What I need is a spreadsheet with names down the left and campaigns accross the top. We simply colour the opens in say green, did not open in red, and bounces in blue.

I could then instantly see everyone and determine follow up priorities and actions depending on a contacts individual history

At the moment I have to open each one individually, take notes and try to remember what that profile looked like historically

I have mentiond this to Constant Contact before, but maybe if this group thought it was a good idea, we may be able to lend a voice and be heard.

Apart from that I find this service fantastic and meets our needs perfdectly.

Darryl, Australia

There should be a button on a person's info page to delete account. I have to open the page, and if the person has not opened an email in more than a year, I'm deleting them. It's a real time drainer to have to go back to the contact list to delete.
Occasional Organizer

It would be extremely useful to be able to search contacts who have/haven't been active (opens/clicks) within a given time perios. ex, contacts who have not taken action within the last 1 month/6 months/1 year.

It would be great if in reporting we could get notification when an email subscriber has not opened any of our emails for a period of time ie 3 mos, 6 mos etc.
Occasional Contributor
Need better more advanced reporting, including reports on contacts who have not opened emails in 30, 60 and 90 days.
Occasional Contributor
Really need a report that is based on users, not campaigns. One that shows users who have not opened email in 30, 60 and 90 days increments.
Occasional Contributor

Hi CC:

I would like to suggest adding reports that focus on contacts and  not campaigns. This would be an activity reporting showing all contacts who have not opened any email for 30, 60 and 90 days. This would greatly simplify tracking engagments.

Occasional Contributor
There is a weakness with Contact reporting. We need contact reports that are NOT based on Campaigns. In other words, we should be able to go to Contacts and get a report of any contacts who have not opened a Campaign in 30, 60 or 90 days, as well as those who have never opened a Campaign. It's hard to believe these do not already exist, because they are just standard reports.
Occasional Visitor

I would pay extra for this feature and I'll leave you if I can find it else where.  % of time an email address opens the campaign...  10 campaigns 9 opens 90%... 50 campaigns 10 opens 80%.  

Frequent Visitor

Frankly this should be a standard part of the service. If a "subscriber" doesn't open for a given # of mailings I should be able to easily access that info in Reports and delete if I choose to.

We would love to see increased reporting for the did not open list based on time periods (six months, a year) to better keep our list clean.
I need to clean up my contacts list. So it would be great to know which contacts never open our emails. Please add this feature ASAP!
Frequent Visitor

I requested the same feature some time ago and see it's been requested multiple times over the past 3+ years and has a relatively high number of "votes" from users. It's also been given a "Great Idea" nod from a moderator, yet it has not been added. It seems like an easy fix, unless you consider we pay by the # of addresses we send to, which makes such a clean-up feature costly to CC. Any thing anyone can do to prompt action would sure benefit users.

Occasional Contributor

It seems like this is never going to happen, and probably for the very reason that it makes CC more money. It's a feature that their customers obviously want and need but because it's profitable for them to ignore it they do so. Terrible customer service

All Star

Yes, I'd say no one is listening. They have some good stuff, but can't seem to move up the quality ladder where incremetal improvemant demands a bit more engineering. 

I certainly hope is not just "stuff the customer" thinking. 

If it's about money, make it work better and people will pay a few bucks.

I can't improve my results now untill the reporing tools improve.

I've never had any feedback on 2 requests in the past to provide a simple colour coded (open, did not open, bounce) spreadsheet with names listed down and publication editions accross the top.

Is anyone out there clever enough to do a patch on CC's skeleton?

Anyone recommend a better business to deal with?

Darryl

All Star

Good luck, no one is listening...

All Star

Yes, please!!!

All Star

Please work on a way to get rid of email addresses that do not open email

All Star

I am very disgusted at the amount of time I must spend to gather "did not opens" from my bi-monthly newsletters.  There SHOULD BE a report that says, Did not Open for 3 months or six months or a year, but the customer should NOT have to spend their time digging through old lists to compare who has not opened on a regular basis.  This is absolutely ridiculous and I will be reviewing other carriers that give me a report that I can just push a button and delete those who have NOT opened my email in a pre-determined amount of time.  Or even fall off the list automatically after a certain specified time.  I do not have the time to spend going through mountains of paper to find this information out.  

Solution Provider

It is very time consuming to edit and delete contacts.  

All Star
I have been asking for months if there can be a report so I can see who on my mailing list is not opening my newsletters, I have been directed to a convaluted system that requires me to review reports name by name by month, does not work for me. I do not feel my request is out of line you have all the info already. I really would like to see a solution to this soon becuase honestly there are a couple other options out there. Jeff
Administrator
Status changed to: Certified Great Idea

Occasional Contributor

So after 4 years this is finally a certified great idea???

All Star

I had a chat to a nice one on one chat to a lady at CC who said it was a good idea but wouldn't happen. I sensed that they were fixated with how to sqeeze the most out of what the mail outs looked like, not how to manage the responses. I want to simply track at risk contacts and improve my opening rates through my 65% ceiling. I'd like a spreadsheet with opening performance against each contact. A simple, colour coded open, did not open, bounce box for each contact in columns say for 10 campaigns would be fantastic. 

Its about continouus improvement, not producing the best spam.

Darryl 

Administrator

Mailchimp has it, with a few click of the buttons, I can segment my list by people who haven't opened any of my previous 10, 15, or 20 campaigns.  The purpose of this is to clean the list and save us some money by lowering contacts that are not active. 

YES YES YES 

Occasional Contributor

Hi CC:

We need an easy "one button click," way of seeing contacts who have never opened an email. Either on the Contacts page or in the List Detail page we need a button that says, "Show Me Inactive Contacts." It's crazy that we don't have that yet. Also we shouldn't have to go through crazy email filter hoops to discover contacts who are driving up our cost because they have never opened a single campaign.

Thanks

Rick Hall

All Star
This would be EXTREMELY helpful. All the info of who opened which email is available online, but the only way I can see WHO isn't opening at all, or who is opening certain subjects and not others can only be obtained by manually going through every campaign and marking on a sheet of paper who opened or who didn't. My email list is made up only of those who have purchased my product, and when I send emails to them, I'm providing a service of assistance so they can make better use of the product. When 2/3 don't open my emails, that's a problem; but I can fix it by calling them or sending a letter. I spent 6 hours yesterday manually creating a form and checking every email one-by-one. With this info, I can begin to address the problem of not getting through to those who aren't opening at all, or opening only a few. I think it would be very helpful to me many others if you could create this type of report.
Status changed to: New

Thank you for the feedback @RogerW619,

While we don't have a tool that shows the overall 'did not opens', you do have the ability to look at who didn't open your email at the campaign level, and create a list of those customers.  The following knowledgebase article might help you do what you're trying to do:  https://knowledgebase.constantcontact.com/articles/KnowledgeBase/5289-the-did-not-open-report?q=did%...

Hope that helps, and I'll be submitting your feedback!

Frequent Visitor

I agree. We have over 22,000 active users in our contacts. However, we have roughly 18,000 who don't open the emails. Would be nice to have a way to know who is continually not opening emails. This way we can change who we are targeting too and also not be charged for the emails that are not viewed.

Frequent Visitor
I need a report that shows contacts who have not opened an email within a certain period of time. Preferably a choice but 6 months would work for us. This takes me a long time to keep our list under 500 by looking at each person before I delete!!
All Star
I would like to be able to quickly and easily remove anyone who hasn't opened an email since such and such date. This would clean up old email addy's that no longer seem interested in engaging with my content. Also, if we could "delete all from a certain date 'except'" that would be nice so if someone signed up recently but hasn't opened, they wouldn't automatically be deleted.
All Star

Puh-LEEZE, Constant Contact, incorporate this idea! You've already got some good advanced search filters included re: contacts, why not take this a step farther and give users this functionality to help keep their marketing efforts more focused? I've had this conversation with phone support 2x, and have submitted the support suggestion more than once too. How about it?

Occasional Contributor

The current suggestion for scrubbing non-opening contacts is absurdly laborious!

"Open each campaign you sent for the past desired time frame and add the non-openers to a list"

Add to that, we'd like to filter new signups out of the list of non-engaged recipients, since they have not had enough opportunity to engage.  

Really, this needs to be updated.  Please! 

All Star

Yes! I'm still trying to figure out a way to do this using tags but since you can't create a list that has ALL the tags (my monthly unopened tags — I want to create a list of ONLY people who haven't opened in the past 6 months), I haven't figured out a solution that doesn't involve clicking each address individually.

All Star
I receive regular 'all star' awards which gave me a free lunch, well, not quite, but a free chat with someone in the think tank. Below is my query which I was encouraged to share: I have a simple system with just 200 contacts. I’ve levelled off with around 70% opening rate. I regularly laboriously go through the list name by name to try to understand how each person is tracking. I then scribble notes of who I should follow up. By the time I get well into it, I have no chance of remembering if they are falling, rising, spasmodic, or what. It’s nigh on impossible. The system needs a simple performance spreadsheet. Contacts down the left Columns headed by each mail out. Green box means opened. Red box means unopened. Black box is bounced. (or similar) You get the idea. I then can scan the whole sheet, paying special attention to the red boxes. More than 3 in a row means they fall into my “to do” list of people to contact. For me, it’s not about generating better ‘spam’ using clever marketing tools. It’s about better management of my existing contacts. It’s not as simple as simply deleting those with red boxes, they could be the ones I want to reach out to. Also, given that probably 80% of people open around 80% of the mail outs. There are a minority who are spasmodic readers, and it all varies between editions. People and numbers are funny things! This is the reply: Hello Darryl, While we do not currently have any reporting that matches your description, it certainly would be a fantastic report to have! I can add your idea to our database of customer requests for our developers. We really appreciate your specific feedback on how this feature can be improved. We definitely encourage you to click the Feedback button in your account and let our developers know your request directly too! If you have any further questions please feel free to reach out to us here. We are always happy to assist you in any way we can!
All Star

I would like there to be a "limiter" which I could select that would restrict the number of subscriptions/contacts to the level I choose. If my Contact List reaches that number, any future subscribers would receive a message reading, "[Business Name's] subscription list has reached it's maximum. Please contact [Manager Name/E-mail] to tell them you want to subscribe."

Barring this, there should be a filter available so that I can sort to lists of addresses that do NOT open mailings and "Delete" them directly from that list. As-is, I can see the list of addresses that do not open individual mailings. However I cannot delete directly from that list. I must note the names manually and then switch to my Contact list to delete them. It should not have to be a two stage process. There should be a "Delete" action available on the filtered "Unopened" list on each Campaign.

Occasional Contributor

Agree this would be a great improvement. I would also like to run a report that shows who are my top engagers across the board to better target those contacts and with the last date of engagement.

Hey everyone, we have some great news!

We just released a new tool that will help you get more engagement out of your 'Did Not Open' customers.  It's our new Resend to Non-Openers tool.  This will allow you to easily send your campaign again to anyone who hasn't opened it.  We're really excited about this new tool and would love to hear your feedback.

Follow this link to find out where to find the new tool, and how to use it!

Thank you!

Frequent Visitor

My take-away from reading these comments is that: 

- users have been asking CC for this function for 5 years, at least

- CC has this data and could have enabled this function at any time

- CC has consciously chosen to not enable it

- why not?  probably because many users would purge their lists, making their lists smaller and their monthly fee to CC lower

- finally CC has thrown a sop to it users with this new Resend Non-Openers tool

- clearly CC values revenue above wise list management and will never assist users in pruning non-users

All Star

I have been nagging CC for years about having this feature. It seems the official direction to "help" us poor users is to simply create better spam, not to actually manage our contacts.

I had a chat to one support person who would 'refer it' up the line. 

I did have a bit of credibility because our opening rates are apparently good at around 70%. I do need this tool now, not just to delete but understand what is happening, especially as it's not the same 30% who don't open each of our (monthly) campaigns

I suggested a simple spreadsheet in columns, one for each campaign, say for the last 10 or so. The contact names were down the left. All boxes were colour coded. Green for open, red for did not open, black for bounce.

So easy to see everyone in one glance, prioritise and follow up as required.

All too easy. 

It seems to be out of CC's thinking that some customers want to actually manage and improve their opening rates beyond a 'base line'

Darryl