cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Due to an issue with YouTube, inserting videos in your emails is showing an error. Until they are able to resolve this issue, we recommend using a different video hosting service. We will continue to monitor this outage and update you as we have more information.

Recommended for Removal is confusing

Recommended for Removal is confusing

Please remove RECOMMENDED FOR REMOVAL as the DEFAULT category for displayed bounces. If you need a default, it should be ALL BOUNCES. It is a HUGE WASTE OF MY TIME when I have to go back to selecting ALL BOUNCES. All bounces are of concern to me, not just the ones YOU think I should be concerned about. PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!! Thanks.

Top Answer
Kyle_R
Administrator

Thanks for all the great feedback on this topic. A lot of the feedback is from several years ago when we first rolled out our new contacts system. We've made plenty of improvements since then, and as a result we've seen feedback around this lessen. Just to close the loop around some of the original feedback, we've released a change to the reporting pages this week and the bounce report will default to "All Bounces" as opposed to the "Recommended for removal" category. Several other changes were released with this as well including the ability to edit the contact in an overlay without having to leave the report, and better explanations for bounce types on this page which we hope make managing your bounces easier.

199 Comments
Why does it indicate that there are 9 bounce backs, and it reads 1 - 9 of 9 items, but I only see two?
Status changed to: New

Hi Jean,

It sounds like you are viewing the "Recommended for Removal" bounce list. There is a drop down menu at the top of the list that will allow you to view all and remove the filter.

removal.jpg

Just so you know, the system will now give you a list of contacts that are recommended for removal. If you would like to learn more about this feature check out this FAQ: What is in the recommended for removal category?

All Star
I am on the bounced email page for my last email (good news 7/2/13). It says I have 5 bounces and only 2 are showing up. i tried to delete the two, hoping that I could then go back in and see the rest but it just shows the two I already saw with lines thru the email address. Feedback is.....it was much easier dealing with bounces before this function was recently "updated."

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your post, I answered your question above as well but it sounds like you are viewing the "Recommended for Removal list". Can you try changing the selection you are seeing to see if this helps?

Thanks,

Hannah

All Star
I hate to beat a dead horse. The "My Emails>Reports" path to looking at who has opened my emails has been chock full of either errors or discrepancies I can't understand. Latest example: Bounced Emails shows the number "2". When I look at the list, only "1" email shows up. This is unsettling and confusing. I hope this feedback is helpful. Buz Mayo
CTCT Employee

I am sorry for the confusion this has caused.  It sounds like you are viewing the "Recommended for Removal" bounce list. There is a drop down menu at the top of the list that will allow you to view all and remove the filter.

removal.jpg

Just so you know, the system will now give you a list of contacts that are recommended for removal. If you would like to learn more about this feature check out this FAQ: What is in the recommended for removal category?

Occasional Contributor
The total number of bounces is shown as 28. However, only 25 are shown, despite the legend at the bottom saying "1-28 of 28 items". This was also true of another report that reported 30 bounces. Only 25 are shown, reported, and exported.
Occasional Contributor

OK, so I ready your response.  Terrible design that it is a defaul that all bounces are not shown.  Overall, the "improvement" to Constant Contact has made it much worse.

Frequent Visitor
Just sent an email. System reported 8 bounces, only displays 3

Hi Helen,

Can you double check to make sure you are not just viewing the list of contacts who are "Recommended For Removal"? This option is on the right of the page and looks like this:

removalbounce list.jpg

If you select "All Bounces" you should be able to see tjhe entire list instead! Please let me know if this doesn't fix it. 

Occasional Contributor
Default should be "All bounce types", not "Recommended for removal"

Thanks for the feedback, Ivan!

Occasional Contributor
Really preferred the old format where the bounces were grouped in categories rather than all in one list. Not as likely to overlook one that needs to be addressed. If there are those who really like this new system, maybe you can offer both and let us choose the one that works best for us. Folks do like choices ya know! Thanks for the opportunity to provide feedback.
CTCT Employee
On the bounce report, it seems like all bounces are list when you go to the page but the drop down to the right says recommended for removal. When you click that the list actually changes to show those that are actually recommended. It's a bit confusing. the drop down should read "all bounce types" at the start.
Advisor
Thanks for the feedback, Dave!
Advisor
Hello, Thank you for your feedback on the bounce management reporting. This is a great suggestion and great information to know. Please continue to vote on this and any other topics you would like to see implemented.
Occasional Contributor
This page takes FOREVER to come up. And sometimes won't come up unless I go back to the email and click on it a second time. Very frustrating!
Regular Visitor
The auto-complete above won't let me finish what I want to say. I deleted a list, that had probably 40-50 people who weren't on another list and I want them off my active subscriber list. My number of active subscribers hasn't changed. How do I delete them now that I can't identify them because the list they were on is gone?
CTCT Employee

Hi Lisa,

I am sorry for your frustration.  What browser are you using to open up your reporting?  Also can you try another browser just to check if that is the issue?  Finally what is the length of wait time you are experiencing?

Occasional Visitor
Hi, In the old system I used to manage bounces as follows: - Click the "bounces" link - For each bounced contact, right-click, get the information in a new tab -- paying specific attention to the table with summary information about the contact - If the contact had bounced a few times, I would remove them from the list - Close the new tab and keep processing the remaining bounces In the new system, that's whole workflow is basically shot, and it's much more difficult to do what I need: - I can no longer right-click on a contact and bring up the information in a new tab. This means that I have to go back and forth in my browser. And the new UI is rather slow -- each click takes 4 to 5 seconds on my end -- so this is adding a lot of time to my process - The information on a contact is no longer tabulated in a nice summary form. Instead it's in a verbose list. And to figure out the counts, I need to do the work myself, scrolling through the list to find what I'm interested in - There are no more check boxes on the bounces view -- I need to work with one contact at a time before I can move on to the next contact All in all, this change represents a HUGE step backward for me. I am incredibly annoyed and disappointed. Thanks for your attention to this matter, Adam Machanic
Occasional Visitor

Seriously, the UI removed all of my formatting?!?! This is ridiculous. I'm off to find a new e-mail provider.

Occasional Visitor

ALSO!

Every time you click a contact in the bounces view, then hit the back button, the page reloads COMPLETELY, sometimes in a different order than it was in before, and you're all the way back at the top of the list even if you were previously scrolled down.

It's not supposed to work that way! Why is the UI doing complete page re-loads followed by AJAX calls, on EVERY SINGLE CLICK? That's a ridiculous way to code, and that's how you wound up with one of the slowest user interfaces I've seen in years.

Roll it back.

CTCT Employee

Hi Adam,

I am sorry for the inconvenience that this has caused you.  At this time we are working on improving the reload to get you back to your last working area.  Also for bounces at this point I would suggest to export the bounces into excel or to create a new list of just the bounced addresses over your past 5 emails and then send to them.  From there if they bounce again you can remove them from the account.  We are always looking to make the product better so any input or feedback is greatly appreciated. 

CTCT Employee

Hi Jackie,

I am sorry for the trouble this is causing you.  Do you have any of the 50 email addresses you deleted in memory so you can try searching for them?  I believe the contacts could possibly be on another list or there could have been a lag in the removal process.  Can you please check to see if they are in the account by searching one and if so where are they located?

See above
All Star
I recommended a contact to be removed from our bounce list due to non-existent address. Received a confirmation that is was done but now cannot retrieve the other list of bounces for that email. I just keep coming back to the one that was confirmed as removed. What do I do about the others I can't find??
Occasional Contributor
Bounced emails use to be a nice easy to read list now it takes a dozen mouse clicks, and some cutting and pasting to accomplish the same tasks. Have you guys ever considered putting your "Great" ideas out in some test pages and letting people go review them and give feedback before you implement?
Advisor
Hello, Thank you for your feedback. Would you mind elaborating on this point? Is there confusion on how to go about accessing the bounce report? Is the report harder to read? Any additional information that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Where is the "manage bounces" feature now?
Advisor

Hello,

Thank you for posting. I apologize for the confusion here. Are you trying to access the other bounce categories, such as Undeliverable? If so, this can be done by clicking on the button to the right side of the grey toolbar on the bounce report. This will allow you to change the category to view the other emails that bounced. Please let me know if you were referring to something else.

Bounce_Report_Categories.png

Occasional Contributor
Previously, I could click on the "manage bounced emails" link under Contacts, click on the easily readable list by date, click on the email and click "remove" to remove any bounced emails. I could also easily click on "invalid addresses" and print out a list so I could check the email from other sources and see what's wrong. Now, I have to go to the Email section, try and find the email from among all the emails (instead of a "most recent" list), scroll down to the Email Stats, click on "bounces", and then have to go through each email and make a decision. Instead of taking seconds, this process now takes me several minutes. And, I can't print out a list. I have to export it, format it, etc before I can print it out. I appreciate CC's efforts to keep things fresh but this is yet another of the changes that doesn't work anywhere near as well or as quickly as the previous setup.
All Star
I cannot find how to report on the emails that bounced. Please advise. It was so easy before.
Thanks for posting. The are where you can manage your bounces is in the Email>Reports. You can check off any contact who has bounced and use the controls in the header. Are you looking to do something specific with your bounces?
You are not able to remove directly from the bounce screen since you don't want to always assume that the address needs to be removed. Thanks for your feedback on this process.
Hi Elizabeth, Thanks for posting. You can view the reporting information by clicking the Email tab and reports link. To the right of the email name there is hyperlinked information you can click on to view more. You can export this information or click into the individual contacts details to see more.
Frequent Visitor
I am disappointed as you took something easy and managable and made it complicated. Managing bounces used to be a simple click now it is a massive procedure. Not a happy customer
Hi Lanell, I'm sorry to hear of this frustration. Can you tell me more about how you manage your bounces so I can understand your process?
Frequent Visitor
Please reinstate the Bounced Contact Report, just as it was. I don't want the exported information. You really goofed on this.
Occasional Participant
I really liked the old look of the reports dealing with email bounces. Current system is very cumbersome. We went CC making lots of changes a few years ago and we became very frustrated with the system then. I sure hope this isn't happening again.
Horrible, you have made it so much more complicated.
This information SHOULD be in the contact information page. It used to list every reason why an email address bounced. The new design does not do this. I need that back.
I prefer the old method of dealing with bounced massages. Bring it back!!!!!
Occasional Visitor
Hi-- My 'report' shows 17 bounces for my most recent email. But when I click on the 'bounces', only three addresses appear. Where do I find the other 14???
It indicates that I had 9 bounces but when I open up the report, only 3 appear. Why, what happened to the other 6 emails?
Occasional Visitor
Your feature to manage and delete contacts that have bounced is very difficult. The contacts are not organized well, and the system is hard to use.
All Star
I used to be able to see at one glance everything I needed to know about my email, and could open up any number to get detail info. Now, if I click a number I go to the "new" reporting derivative, which also leaves some info out. If an item isn't being "clicked" I may have to go all the way back to start to see the number of items not clicked. Also, today I see "6" bounces, but when I click on the number, I see only one address. I think you can see where this is going.
All Star
After sending an email and receiving bounce notices, it's unclear whether deleting the "recommended" list of deletes removes just those on the current viewed page, or the entire recommended list. Only those on the current page are crossed out as deleted (as opposed to subsequent pages), while activity lists "all" in process for deletion. Activity gets hung up on activity list. Also, number of bounces on summary page and the bounce page are different. Agree with others - you've taken a good email solution and broken it.
Occasional Contributor
This screen is showing five emails bounced but it's not showing which emails bounced! What good is that? TERRIBLE job on upgrading your software this time folks!
Hi Dolores, It sounds like you are only viewing the bounces recommended for removal. Can you check the drop down on the right of the screen to see if this is what is selected?
What have you done? I can no longer replace an old email address with a new email address for a contact. And there is no link to manage bounces.