CTCT Employee
Mark_Schmulen

How to Monitor Social Media in 5 Minutes a Day

If you are one of the many Constant Contact customers using social media, you may think it’s hard to keep tabs on what your fans and followers are posting online. But it doesn’t have to be…if you are using the right tools.

Social media has really ushered in a whole new way for businesses and organizations to connect and build relationships with customers and prospects. Today, marketing is not just about broadcasting a message. What makes social media so valuable is that it provides an incredible feedback loop between you and your customers and prospects. Now you can hear directly from your audience to discover what you do well and how you can better serve your base. Like a good conversationalist, effective social media marketers recognize the importance of listening and responding when appropriate.

Monitoring social media does not have to take hours out of your day or cost you an arm and a leg. In fact, there are many free tools out there that can make it very easy for you.

Constant Contact offers a free monitoring tool called NutshellMail, which acts like your own personal social media assistant. NutshellMail monitors your presence across most social networks and then sends you a consolidated digest of all your activity directly to your email inbox on a schedule you choose.

You can use NutshellMail to monitor all your Facebook pages as well as your personal Facebook profile, Twitter, LinkedIn, Yelp, CitySearch, YouTube, and FourSquare accounts. It only takes a few minutes to register your account. Once signed up, you can tell NutshellMail how many times a day you want to be notified. I recommend you receive at least one NutshellMail update per day.

One of my favorite features of NutshellMail is its ability to monitor Twitter search terms. If you haven’t already set up a saved searches on Twitter.com, you can do so through NutshellMail by clicking on “customize” in the Twitter section on the website or in any of your email updates. I recommend every organizations to enter a saved search on their name, common misspellings, keywords relevant to their industry/cause and perhaps even the names of some competitors. This way you can keep a real pulse not only on what people are saying to you but also what people are saying about you, your industry and even your competitors.

I encourage you all to give NutshellMail a shot. After all it’s free and designed with the busy small business owner in mind.

If you have any questions or feedback, I would love to hear from you.

Mark

Mark Schmulen
General Manager of Social Media
RosalindM.
Topics: 46
Blog Posts: 18
Solutions: 7

Re: How to Monitor Social Media in 5 Minutes a Day

Hey Mark -

Great descriptor of NutshellMail, and I'd love to see questions our customers have on this or other social media topics.  One thing we've been hearing a lot about of late is Google+.  Does your team plan to incorporate this into the product anytime soon?

Thanks again for posting and agreeing to answer questions this week,

Ros

Rosalind Morville
Senior Social Support & Community Manager
CTCT Employee
Mark_Schmulen

Re: How to Monitor Social Media in 5 Minutes a Day

[ Edited ]

Hi Ros,

It's a pretty safe bet that we will integrate Google+ with NutshellMail as soon as it is technically possible. Like all 3rd party solutions, we need access to an Application Programming Interface (API) to do so. Google+ has not yet released an API to 3rd party developers but we will be notified as soon as they do.

That said, Google+ Is Not Quite Ready for Marketers

Google+ launched an early-access version of the service in late June, and it has already attracted over 10 million users who are sharing over 1 billion pieces of content a day. By all accounts, Google+ has a good shot of sticking around and serving as compliment network to Facebook for many; and perhaps, a replacement network for some.

I would encourage the curious to experiment with the service for personal use, but not to jump on Google+ for marketing your business or organization at this point. The Google+ team promises to launch a business-friendly version of the site by the end of the year (think Facebook Pages vs. Facebook Profiles). In fact, they have asked marketers to hold off until they do.

To learn more about Google+ for Business from the Google+ Product Manager Christian Oestlien, check out his post at http://bit.ly/pl6ocu 

-Mark

Mark Schmulen
General Manager of Social Media