CTCT Employee
Azure_Collier

Why You Should Let Your Fans Post on Your Facebook Page

Hello Constant Contact Community!

During last week’s Supercharging Your Facebook Marketing webinar, I got a great question from an attendee that I thought I’d share:

Q: Our organization does not currently have a social media program, and we a getting ready to kick it off in the next few months. They are very weary of leaving the page open to comments from all fans. They have requested that I approve or disapprove all comments before they post on our page. Do you think that us monitoring all fan content could be detrimental to our social media campaign?

A: It’s not a good idea to block fan comments on a Facebook business page, and here’s why: this is social media marketing. If you shut out the fans, then you are not social. You’re having a one-way conversation and not letting the other person (or people) participate.

The participation is what’s made social media marketing so popular for customers – 34% use Facebook to connect with their favorite brands. So here’s the good news for you: your Facebook fans are your loyal customers. They love that they can interact with you, talk about how much they like you, share their opinions, and get an actual person from the business to respond to their questions.

Before social media, your customers were talking about you with their friends and family offline – sharing the good, the bad and the ugly. The difference now is that social media makes these conversations public, which is an advantage for businesses. You can thank your loyal fans and show you care about your customers by helping anyone who has a question or complaint. Even better – consumers who receive great customer service through social media will spend 21% more at your business.

As for monitoring the fan comments and posts, yes, you should absolutely keep tabs on that as a social media marketing manager. Facebook page administrators can have updates emailed to them on page activity – or you can use a free tool like Nutshell Mail to have all your social media updates emailed to you throughout the day. When activity comes in, it’s important to respond to it. Answer questions, thank people for positive posts and contribute to the conversations that are happening on your page.  

So monitor, respond and engage but don’t shut your fans out. Open your Facebook page to comments and let the conversation begin!

Need more social media help? Check out the Social Media Quickstarter – it’s got 20 chapters on Facebook marketing best practices.

Azure Collier
RosalindM.
Topics: 46
Blog Posts: 17
Solutions: 7

Re: Why You Should Let Your Fans Post on Your Facebook Page

Thanks so much for sharing!  The Community is a great way to continue the learnings from webinars and seminars and such. So glad you stopped by to share your insights!!

Rosalind Morville
Senior Social Support & Community Manager
Regular Advisor
BuyGifts.com

Nice post! Indeed, it can be a difficult decision to open up and let even negative comments be posted. I think it is more difficult for older businessmen and women that are used to the old way of doing things. The take away is that, if we are to ensure positive comments, we must run a clean, honest business. If you treat others fairly and really put your best foot forward on a regular basis, the positives will always greatly outweigh the negatives. Of course there will always be difficult people that you can't please. It's OK. The world has a way of balancing itself out. People will reward you for honesty and good work. The few negatives you might receive now and then won't affect you in the long run. What's most important, as the article alludes to, is that you address any customer concerns immediately so you can dampen the fire before it rages out of control. 

Mike Donovan
BuyGifts.com
CTCT Employee
Azure_Collier

Thanks! Glad to contribute :smileyhappy:

Azure Collier
CTCT Employee
Azure_Collier

Hi Mike,

You're right about business owners who are used to the old way of handling negative comments. Change is hard. The best way to look at this is that you're going to benefit from the positive and negative comments. I saw an exchange on Yelp a few weeks ago on a restaurant's page about a negative review. A customer was complaining about the restaurant's hours, and the restaurant responded positively to the feedback. They thanked the customer for the suggestion and said they would take a look at their operating hours. It's a customer concern that they might not have seen if it wasn't posted online. They can change things to help their customers and - of course - get more business.

Thanks for your comment! 

-Azure

Azure Collier
Regular Advisor
BuyGifts.com

Yes Azure. If people see that a company is doing everything they can to help that customer, even though they left a negative comment, I think it turns that negative into a positive for the company. 

Mike Donovan
BuyGifts.com