cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing HTML in third generation editor

In the older editor, you had the ability to edit the HTML of any block of content. I found this quite helpful in a number of ways and was wondering if and when we might get that functionality in the third generation editor. 

I used to use this to make a content block that resembled an abbreviated version of the navigation bar on our website, but have found it impossible to replicate in the third generation editor as the responsiveness of the new template breaks each menu item onto its own row in anything smaller than full desktop screen sizes. A problem I never had with the old editor since I could edit the HTML by hand. 

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
CTCT Employee

Re: Editing HTML in third generation editor

Hello @AndrewS00218,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community! I apologize for the inconvenience but we are not implementing HTML into the Third Generation editing system yet. The editor is designed to be mobile responsive so those layouts will create a stacked effect, making it easier for your contacts to read and go to your desired page. I would be more than happy to track this feedback on your account for our engineers to review. Again, I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. 

Zoe_H
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Advisor

I still use copies of old campaigns as my template and doing that gives me the Advanced Editor so I can edit any and all html in my campaigns. It's really a serious problem though that this is not available with the new editor! If CC ever blocks all html editing, I will have to use a different service, despite 20 years of being with CC! Writing my own html is the single-most important factor for me in our email campaigns. Please tell your engineers they need to put the Advanced Editor into the new editor! 

Alternately, if you want to write your own html, you can always write it as a webpage (which I do with each newsletter), then send out a tiny email with a link to the newsletter webpage. It's not ideal, of course, but for a truly complex newsletter, we need total command of the css, javascript, and html! I'm shocked that the Advanced Editor has been removed from the Third Gen Editor! How hard can it be to open and save a plain text doc with the code on it from within the editor?

Tags (4)
CTCT Employee

Hello @hvhibiscus,

I do apologize that this has not been implemented in our product yet and we completely understand why you would find this feature useful. Your feedback has been tracked on your account and our engineers will contact you with any updates! Thank you and have a great rest of you day. 

Zoe_H

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Occasional Contributor

I agree 100% with what hvhibiscus wrote here.  Editing the HTML code in an email content block is a required feature for me.  So is the ability to include a subject line and body text when creating a hyperlink to an email address.  I have been with Constant Contact for over a decade.  If I'm stuck with this third generation editor as it exists today, I'm moving on.

Tags (2)

Hi @MarkT71914

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your feedback on this! What specifically are you looking to access or accomplish through you email's HTML? Having these details will allow us to pass on your feedback to the appropriate teams. Are you looking for HTML access to create these customized mailto links? If so, the good news is we have these directions on how you can successfully create mailto links with Subject line or Body text in our Third Generation Editor. 

Frankie P.

Occasional Contributor

Hello, Frankie_P,

Thank you for your response.  After several attempts, I was able to add a subject line and email body text to a link to an email address.  (Oddly, although it accepted the code for a space, "%20", it did not accept one for an apostrophe, "#92".  But the apostrophe character worked fine.)  This process is much less user-friendly than that of the second generation email editing tool set.

Other things that are much more difficult, if not impossible, to do in the third generation email editing tool set, vis-à-vis the second generation tool set:

> Inserting a graphic image exactly where I want it to be; changing the border size; resizing the image.  It seems that the only way that I can insert an image is to drag it into the content block.  But doing that inserts the image only in the top or bottom or left side or right side.  With the older tool set, I could insert an image in the middle of the content block, and then left- or right-justify it.  And I could connect a link to the image.  And I could change the image size to the resolution of pixel dimensions.  The only way that I was able to resize an image in the third generation tool was to drag it larger or smaller.  Not very precise.

> Adding additional space between bulleted text.  I need access to the HTML code to do this.

> Fixing formatting errors that your GUI interface HTML editor creates.  Mostly relating to font size and color.  Also removing extra line breaks that are auto-entered.  Fixing misinterpreted auto-bulletin lists.  Your second generation editing tool set made mistakes too.  I've always had to go into the HTML code to fix them.

> Indenting selected lines or paragraphs.

> Changing the types or colors of bullets or numbering.  (I need access to the HTML code to do this.)

Incidentally, nowhere in your post do I see an "Accept as Solution" button.  I only see "Vote" and "Reply".

Earlier today, I created my first email, using the third generation email editing interface.  Although I was able to resolve the link-to-an-email issue, my ability to tweak the the content of the Constant Contact email template was extremely restricted by the third generation editing tool set.

How much longer will the second generation tool set be available?

Thank you.

Tags (2)
CTCT Employee

Hello @MarkT71914,

Thank you for the rather extensive feedback.  There are definitely a few things that the third-generation editor can't quite do yet, and knowing what users are actually wanting helps our design team prioritize their next projects.  I'm tracking all of your current requests, as well as your description of the issue with them.

We do not currently have a set date regarding when we'll fully remove the legacy editor.  Currently we've simply stopped anything except critical updates to the legacy editor, and we've stopped creating new templates in it.  Provided that nothing else changes, you should be able to continue copying and re-using the legacy editor for quite awhile.

I also would like to apologize about the lack of an 'Accept as Solution' button, that would only be available for the person who originally started this thread.

Aaron H

Occasional Contributor

Hello, Aaron,

Thank you for your reply.

Yesterday, I gave up on trying to wrestle a third-generation template to meet my needs.  I will continue to use older templates and the second-generation email editor until they are no longer available.

I am sure that new users looking for simple editing tools will appreciate your third-generation editing tools.  The learning curve is short and shallow.  It's just that I have been tweaking the HTML in my emails for many years.  And because over 80% of my emails are opened on a computer, not a mobile device, fancy-schmancy mobile-friendly templates are not so important to me.

I'll try to retire before you kill second-generation editing functionality.  :-)

Respectfully,

Mark

Tags (2)
Advisor

I want to be able to write or alter all my own code directly.  I've used the Advanced Editor with you for 20 years. Can you please put the Advanced Editor back?

Tags (2)
Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!