Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTML in Third Generation Editor

Top Answer
Jared_M
CTCT Employee

Hello everyone,

Currently, in our Third Generation Editor we do not allow access to edit the HTML and have no immediate plans to do so. We want to provide our customers with the abilities to be able to use a user-friendly interface instead of having to rely on a code view to get their desired results. With all the feedback we have been collecting we are planning on making improvements to padding and adding some line spacing elements in the UI. I know this doesn’t solve all use cases, such as adding tables, but we will continue to make strides towards improving the editor.

I understand allowing HTML would increase the ability for more control of your content but it can also have a negative impact on your newsletter’s display in email clients.  If we provide access to HTML for every block, changing some of the default styles or content could break display when sent to an email client. Also being able to manually adjust width could have a negative effect. We have a team of amazing engineers constantly testing our templates in all email clients, so you can be certain your email displays consistently across the board. With that in mind, we want to make sure we make it easy to provide the best look and feel not only on the desktop but on mobile. With a majority of opens now leaning towards mobile over desktop we take that as a priority.

Please continue to let us know your thoughts on HTML and what exactly you're trying to do so even if we don't have HTML access we will be able to give you the tools to get your desired outcome.

Thanks,

Visitor

Re: How can I add HTML code to an existing template?

guys these are simple features that have been used since forever. I need to be able to embed a code into my newsletters. You guys are not giving me a lot to work with. I cancel my previous email marketing service recently, but now I'm second guessing my decision. Please advise if this feature will be added to ALL generations of constant contact editor. 

CTCT Employee

Hi @gabss,

Thanks for reaching out with your concerns about this! We appreciate your feedback and I apologize that I don't have any further information at this time. Having access to the HTML in our newest editor is something our product team is tracking feedback for and I'm happy to add yours. In the meantime, please let us know if there's any assistance we can offer with your newsletters. We're here to help!

Nichelle M
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Frequent Visitor

I agree with ErieBar... at the moment, I just want to insert an em dash but can't enter — (and yes, the default line spacing often seems overly large).

CTCT Employee

@Somerville_Open_Studios

Thank you for reaching out to the Community! I have tracked your request on your account for our developers to see regarding the code and also how the line spacing is too large. Please let us know if there is anything else you would like to see changed or added.

I also encourage you to check out our Feedback area of the Community where you can post any additional feedback you have and chime in with other customers sharing their ideas. Thank you and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Taryn Leinweber

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
CTCT Employee

Re: Re: How can I add HTML code to an existing template?

Hello @Personalabs,

Thanks for reaching out about using countdown timers. Because of the kind of coding that those timers are created with, they actually will not function in an email, even with access to edit the HTML code. I'm more than happy to submit your feedback to our developers, however, to see if this is a functionality that can be added in the future, as well as letting them know that you want access to the HTML within the new editor. 

Please let us know if there's anything else that we can assist with.

Amber_L

Occasional Visitor

Is there a HTML code view to edit a Template?

I want to use the template I chose and have already built. Can I edit this with the HTML editor? If I am able to do this where is the code editor option located?

Tags (3)
Highlighted

Re: Is there a HTML code view to edit a Template?

Hi @VinceK0,

Great question! You are using our second-generation editor which has access to the HTML code view of individual blocks in the template. You can find the "HTML" button when inside of a block in the editor. Check out the image below:

2017-06-21_19-51-45.jpg

If you wanted to use our advanced custom code editor, you would not be able to convert a template built in the second-generation editor into the full custom code. It would have to be recreated using your own HTML.

Nick S.
Social Media & Content Manager

What about in the editor menu that does not have the html option in it? I think there is a key command that will ring up the html. What is it?

Hello @American_Tapestry_Alliance. This option will not bring up the HTML for campaigns created in the third-generation editor. May I ask why you were looking to access the HTML for your campaign? I'd like to see if there is anything that we could assist with if you were looking to make specific changes to your campaign. 

Caitlin M.

Not sure what the original poster's needs were, but personally, I'd like to be able to hand-edit code in the third-gen editor as well. Being able to alter the font stacks, set text line-heights, add alt-text to externally hosted images, etc. would be most helpful.