Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTML in Third Generation Editor

Top Answer
Jared_M
CTCT Employee

Hello everyone,

Currently, in our Third Generation Editor we do not allow access to edit the HTML and have no immediate plans to do so. We want to provide our customers with the abilities to be able to use a user-friendly interface instead of having to rely on a code view to get their desired results. With all the feedback we have been collecting we are planning on making improvements to padding and adding some line spacing elements in the UI. I know this doesn’t solve all use cases, such as adding tables, but we will continue to make strides towards improving the editor.

I understand allowing HTML would increase the ability for more control of your content but it can also have a negative impact on your newsletter’s display in email clients.  If we provide access to HTML for every block, changing some of the default styles or content could break display when sent to an email client. Also being able to manually adjust width could have a negative effect. We have a team of amazing engineers constantly testing our templates in all email clients, so you can be certain your email displays consistently across the board. With that in mind, we want to make sure we make it easy to provide the best look and feel not only on the desktop but on mobile. With a majority of opens now leaning towards mobile over desktop we take that as a priority.

Please continue to let us know your thoughts on HTML and what exactly you're trying to do so even if we don't have HTML access we will be able to give you the tools to get your desired outcome.

Thanks,

Re: HTML in Third Generation Editor

Please give us this feature! When copying and pasting content into the editor, it often captures fonts and styles I want to get rid of in the final version. It looks fine in the editor, but in email preview I see the fonts are different. Then there is no way to go into the html and see what's happening and clean it up! Very frustrating.

Valued Contributor

I agree, one thousand times.

But...is there any serious thought given to this by CC? Or is it just a bottomless pit of requests from your customers?

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

I too built my entire email and then realized that there was no html editing option. Please make this available soon! Currently I'm wanting to edit my "mail to" button to include a subject and copy in the email - an easy update in html. Now I'm going to rebuild the entire email in a custom format.

Hello @MandyS4. Luckily, you do not have to access the HTML to make this happen in our third-generation editor! Here is a link to our Help Center that will show you how to include a subject and body content when someone clicks on your mailto button. I will also submit your feedback over the appropriate team about being able to insert this text without having to include this code.

Caitlin M.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
CTCT Employee

@ErieBar,

Thank you for providing the features that you would like for the new editor. I have passed the feedback along to the appropriate teams! We do not have an estimated date at this time, but if it is implemented we will make sure that you are notified. Please let us know if you have any additional questions!

Thank you,

Mariah_P

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!
Established Member

How do I get back to the 2nd generation editor where I have the ability to edit the html. It is not acceptable to have that functionality removed.

CTCT Employee

Hi @CherylP70,

Thank you for reaching out about having the ability to access the HTML in your email campaigns. We apologize for any frustrations and have returned your account to our older editor. In addition, we are collecting feedback on the reasons why this would be necessary. Knowing more specifics would greatly assist our product teams in creating the best possible user experience. Just let us know so we can forward your feedback as well. Thanks!

Nichelle M

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Established Member

Thanks for the response - I need to be able to look at the html sometimes -- for example where the lines spaces are not how I want them to be. With the 3rd gen editor the flexibility of the app is diminished in my opinion. I am not suggesting that everyone needs to see the html but it is good to have the option, especially where the text does not render how the user wants it to.

CTCT Employee

Hi @CherylP70,

Thanks so much for letting us know your main concern with accessing the HTML is to adjust the line spacing. We definitely understand how important this is, and your feedback has been submitted!

Nichelle M

Solution Provider

I see you guys are really resisting adding an HTML edit feature in the 3rd gen editor. The new editor is great, definitely easier to use and I'm sure it meets the needs of a vast majority of your user base. However editing HTML is definitely useful for power users. I can't see the downside although I'm sure you have your reasons.

Anyway just pitching in about a couple of things I would've already done in HTML in my first email using the new editor:

- Change column horizontal spacing/padding

- Make a block with a background image and text on top of it. 

- Set general styles in CSS for the whole email so that I don't have to copy or restyle every single header/button/etc.

Thanks!