cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Due to an issue with YouTube, inserting videos in your emails is showing an error. Until they are able to resolve this issue, we recommend using a different video hosting service. We will continue to monitor this outage and update you as we have more information.

HTML in Third Generation Editor

Top Answer
Jared_M
CTCT Employee

Hello everyone,

Currently, in our Third Generation Editor we do not allow access to edit the HTML and have no immediate plans to do so. We want to provide our customers with the abilities to be able to use a user-friendly interface instead of having to rely on a code view to get their desired results. With all the feedback we have been collecting we are planning on making improvements to padding and adding some line spacing elements in the UI. I know this doesn’t solve all use cases, such as adding tables, but we will continue to make strides towards improving the editor.

I understand allowing HTML would increase the ability for more control of your content but it can also have a negative impact on your newsletter’s display in email clients.  If we provide access to HTML for every block, changing some of the default styles or content could break display when sent to an email client. Also being able to manually adjust width could have a negative effect. We have a team of amazing engineers constantly testing our templates in all email clients, so you can be certain your email displays consistently across the board. With that in mind, we want to make sure we make it easy to provide the best look and feel not only on the desktop but on mobile. With a majority of opens now leaning towards mobile over desktop we take that as a priority.

Please continue to let us know your thoughts on HTML and what exactly you're trying to do so even if we don't have HTML access we will be able to give you the tools to get your desired outcome.

Thanks,

CTCT Employee

Re: HTML in Third Generation Editor

Hello @scarce!

Thank you for your feedback and I will track that on your account. Another solution instead of copying information over to the new campaign is to make a copy of the campaign and just replace the content you need to change. This can help save some time.

I do apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and thank you again for the feedback you have provided!

Sarah_K
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!
Occasional Participant

Hello - 

I'm having an issue with buttons & dividers option being the same color. I placed an RSVP box and want the buttons to be different colors than the border/divider around the email. This would be an easy fix with access to the HTML editor but that doesn't seem to be an option presently. Is there any other workaround for this? Thanks

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

I just had this problem as well! I found that you could change the divider and button's color manually by clicking on them.

Tags (3)
Occasional Participant

Hi MandyS4,

Thanks for the tip - yes that works for the individual dividers except the template I'm using has an outer border around the body email that also changes when I specify the button colors 😕  Why these two elements cannot be separated is a mystery... unless you know some workaround for the border issue?

Tags (4)
CTCT Employee

Hi @JennaM312!

Thanks for interacting in our Community and I'm sorry you are experiencing some trouble with the colors and buttons. The RSVP blocks are made to replicate the global fonts and colors used in that specific template... So if the borders/buttons are set to be a dark blue the RSVP block will mirror that. @MandyS4 was correct that outside the RSVP block you can individually change the divider and button colors! I will get this feedback over to our developers in hopes we can make those changes in the RSVP block area.  Let us know if we can assist in any way!

Sarah_K

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!
Established Member

We, too, have been shocked by all of the functionality that has been removed from Constant Contact. As we are just trying out the third generation editor, we can't believe that there is no longer access to the html. We were previously making use of anchors and now that is no longer available, and we cannot access the html to do it manually. I understand the desire to simplify and perhaps there were previous complaints from users about complexity, but having the freedom to make customizations is important. Plus, it is also unbelievable that saving/editing templates is not available. We can't fathom why that important functionality was removed.

Trusted Contributor

I got a little insight into this when talking with a support person about another issue--and I took the opportunity to complain. It seems that at least part of the story is making the 3rd Gen editor mobile compliant, and a concern that if they let us access the html would could go afoul of some of the mobile best practices, thereby rendering a particular email non mobile compatible. Not a very good reason, imho, but there you have it.

CTCT Employee

Hello @ElizabethD60 and @JulieL34,

Thank you both for your input here. We value your feedback and I have gone ahead and added you both to the list of people to be updated if this becomes a feature for the Third Generation Editor. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

-Curtis P

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media. Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!
Occasional Advisor

Please add me to the list of people who would like html for creating newsletter campaigns (). I just completed the first 3rd gen update (only about 35+ more individual email formats to go)--and would like the option of adjusting line spacing and font size, etc. 

Hi @SharonR53

Thank you for reaching out to the Community about your email! I have tracked your feedback for these feature requests in your account. I apologize any inconvenience that may be caused by not having these features. In the meantime, as a work around for line spacing we suggest updating the global font size under the design tab. 

2018-02-26_15-12-00.png

This global font will cause all blocks to have the same line-height. It also goes into effect for the size of bullet points and the spacing around each text block. Changing this font size to be smaller will give you smaller line spacing, and larger for larger line spacing. You can then resize the font size in each specific block. I hope this workaround helps! We also have this helpful article for Moving from the Second-Generation Editor to the Third-Generation Editor.

Frankie.P

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.