Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTML in Third Generation Editor

Top Answer
Jared_M
CTCT Employee

Hello everyone,

Currently, in our Third Generation Editor we do not allow access to edit the HTML and have no immediate plans to do so. We want to provide our customers with the abilities to be able to use a user-friendly interface instead of having to rely on a code view to get their desired results. With all the feedback we have been collecting we are planning on making improvements to padding and adding some line spacing elements in the UI. I know this doesn’t solve all use cases, such as adding tables, but we will continue to make strides towards improving the editor.

I understand allowing HTML would increase the ability for more control of your content but it can also have a negative impact on your newsletter’s display in email clients.  If we provide access to HTML for every block, changing some of the default styles or content could break display when sent to an email client. Also being able to manually adjust width could have a negative effect. We have a team of amazing engineers constantly testing our templates in all email clients, so you can be certain your email displays consistently across the board. With that in mind, we want to make sure we make it easy to provide the best look and feel not only on the desktop but on mobile. With a majority of opens now leaning towards mobile over desktop we take that as a priority.

Please continue to let us know your thoughts on HTML and what exactly you're trying to do so even if we don't have HTML access we will be able to give you the tools to get your desired outcome.

Thanks,

Highlighted

Re: HTML in Third Generation Editor

Hi @AAlstad

Thank you for reaching out with these helpful details on why you would like access to the HTML of your emails. I apologize HTML access in Third Generation Editor is not currently a feature we provide! This is however a feature we are collecting feedback on. In fact, I have tracked this feedback along with these reasons you listed in your account.

Frankie.P
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Valued Contributor

Yes. Those and more reasons. And as someone else said, how many comments do you need to collect about what we are all trying to do that we need html for, before you actually do something about it?

CTCT Employee

Hello @JulieL34,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I apologize for any inconvenience that may have been caused. At this time we do not currently have an estimated time for when any features will be implemented. We will continue to collect feedback as we are trying to collect as much information as we possibly can, so that the correct department can review these requests and make the best decision. I want to apologize once more for any inconvenience. If you do happen to have any requests, feel free to pass them along and we will pass that feedback to the correct department. Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist with today. In the meantime, have a wonderful day!

Tiago_R

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing
Visitor

Is this just the corporate tagline for, "We're never going to do it but we need to keep our customers. So tell them we're collecting their feedback so that they feel like we're listening to them"? It's been a year since the question was first asked. I think it's time someone addresses it appropriately other than, "We're collecting feedback and we don't know if/when there is a timeline for addressing the one concern from multiple people."

Tags (3)
Valued Contributor

I think that pretty much sums it up.

My other thought on this is that you would think they would stop offering us the opportunity to "accept" their "solution" as helpful. But every single comment from a Constant Contact employee both offers this and "apologizes" for the inconvenience of not being able to access the code.

Tags (3)

I also am very frustrated by inability to get into HTML!  Unfortunately none of the templates are exactly right for us, out of the box.  I chose the closest one, but want to create a photo header that exactly fits across the top, not floating in space like it is in the template. I can't see the width of the column to make it the right size. I can't assume it will resize properly without distortion or pixelating if I eyeball it, and I don't want to make it really big and let it size down, because my original photos don't support that. I just want to know -  how many pixels wide and high is that block! 

I frequently used to go into HTML to adjust things that just don't look quite right. It's just easier. For example when I import something that's in a list and the tags don't come in right, so things are nested that shouldn't be.

CTCT Employee

Hello @HalimaR,

The average pixel width of the header is 600 pixels, for all of the standard 'basic' templates.  That's true of most of the other standard templates as well, though if you search for anything with the 'wide' tag those are 800 pixels.  The height does not matter, as the block's height resizes automatically based off of the content.  There are a few other exceptions, but that should be the same across the vast majority.

Every image in the new editor is meant to be easily re-sizable though, so click the two-pointed arrow in the bottom corner of it, and dragging downwards, should make essentially 'any' image full-size, without significant distortion.  The new editor is better at resizing images than the legacy editor, though it's admittedly less precise.

We are always looking to implement further upgrades to the system.  Some additions, like html access, have other implications which cause delays, or prevent us from enabling them easily for all customers.  We won't release an update if we fully believe it will cause more harm than good, but we do take your feedback very seriously.  I can honestly say that internally there's a lot of discussion throughout all levels of the organization about how best to give you the tools you want and need, while keeping the system as stable and reliable as possible.

Aaron_H.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Regular Visitor

After several years and numerous requests by users, it's become obvious that CC really has no intention of every re-integrating HTML editing into the 3rd Generation Editor. You've opted to focus your editor on the simplest and most-elementary user while leaving those of us who consistently used the previous HTML to make adjustments to the basic templates. Time to look for another service.

Dan Schutte

All Star

I have two feedback items (based on playing with the 3rd generation editor for a month or so):

One of the specific items that I'd like to give feedback on, is vertical spacing.  I used to be able to use the HTML code to vertically align text to the top, middle, or bottom of a section.  However, now the only way I can try to balance the excess white space is by hitting enter several times (a poor solution that looks terrible on phones).  Could we add in an option to align text vertically to the top, middle or bottom of a box?  That way, it still stays tight in the small space used in mobile, but doesn't look so oddly spaced on a desktop viewing.  Especially useful next to images!

horizontal spacing.jpg

My second item is more of a question.  I am not using the 3rd generation's social media option because it's missing some of the options we need (it has Fb, but is missing Flickr and Vimeo, which we like to highlight as well).  Instead, I've made three small images (no more than 40 px wide), that I was hoping would sit next to each other.  In a desktop format they do, but on the mobile preview, they sit on top of each other (which looks a little silly).  Is there a way to try and request certain images stay on the same line (maybe if they're below a certain size, or by adding them in as a specific block, keeping in mind that each of these needs to link somewhere separate, which is why I can't add it in as one image)?  I realize there's not a lot of space on phones, but that's why I made these images fairly small.

Social media buttons stacked.jpg

Trying to list some 'helpful' feedback, that would solve at least some of the pangs of missing the ability to edit HTML on the fly. 

CTCT Employee

Hello @LindaA23,

Thank you for that awesome feedback.  I will absolutely be sure to make notes of the points you're brought up and I will be sure to pass them along to the appropriate teams.  For the second portion, as of now we don't have a means to keep the blocks from stacking in the mobile view, but the option to lock certain blocks does sound like an idea that could be very cool to work with.  I apologize for any inconvenience and would like to thank you again for the level of detail in this feedback.

Briody_W

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.