cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

HTML in Third Generation Editor

Top Answer
Jared_M
CTCT Employee

Hello everyone,

Currently, in our Third Generation Editor we do not allow access to edit the HTML and have no immediate plans to do so. We want to provide our customers with the abilities to be able to use a user-friendly interface instead of having to rely on a code view to get their desired results. With all the feedback we have been collecting we are planning on making improvements to padding and adding some line spacing elements in the UI. I know this doesn’t solve all use cases, such as adding tables, but we will continue to make strides towards improving the editor.

I understand allowing HTML would increase the ability for more control of your content but it can also have a negative impact on your newsletter’s display in email clients.  If we provide access to HTML for every block, changing some of the default styles or content could break display when sent to an email client. Also being able to manually adjust width could have a negative effect. We have a team of amazing engineers constantly testing our templates in all email clients, so you can be certain your email displays consistently across the board. With that in mind, we want to make sure we make it easy to provide the best look and feel not only on the desktop but on mobile. With a majority of opens now leaning towards mobile over desktop we take that as a priority.

Please continue to let us know your thoughts on HTML and what exactly you're trying to do so even if we don't have HTML access we will be able to give you the tools to get your desired outcome.

Thanks,

Valued Contributor

Re: HTML in Third Generation Editor

No kidding. This has been going on pretty much since the 3G editor was introduced. I see a lot of CTCT employees saying they "really agree" with the importance of access to html. They need to go to bad for the customers if this is true that they really agree.

Tags (3)
CTCT Employee

@JulieL34

Thank you for reaching out to the Community! I want to assure you that whenever we receive feature requests from our customers, we always send the feedback to our developers. The feedback is tracked within our system so our developers can see how many customers are requesting a specific change. This is how system updates are prioritized.

Please continue sending your feedback if you would like to see any other changes. Thank you and enjoy your weekend!

Taryn Leinweber
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
All Star

Add me to the list of folks who would like to see the HTML editor come back! I compile text from my newsletter contributors using multiple platforms, and sometimes the formatting is wonky--I would like to have back the control to fix formatting issues quickly and easily.

Tags (3)

Hi @EleniH7

We have submitted this feature request in your account! I apologize access to your email's HTML is not currently available. However it does sound like these formatting changes may be a result of copying and pasting from different newsletter contributors. If you are copying and pasting I would suggest taking a look at this article we have to help with removing problematic formatting.

Frankie.P

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

By now you must have quite a collection of reasons people need to access the html code, and I doubt that the powers that be at Constant Contact are planning to do anything about it soon. But I had an experience today that showed a whole new level of why it's needed.

I was working on an email and somehow it got three what I will call "phantom" images--that is the images were in the email but not visible to us when working in the editor. They happened to be images we wanted to use, but when we added in the blocks with the images, we then had double images of these three. They were visible when previewing the email but not when working in the editor, so we had no ability to resize, move, link or delete them. If we could have looked into the code, we could likely have found them and removed them, then added them again in the editor, and then hopefully they would have been visible and editable.

CTCT Employee

Hello @JulieL34,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community! I apologize that you are having this experience with your images. In order to troubleshoot this, please let us know what browser you are in and could you please switch browsers and enter your email campaign to see if you have the same experience?  

Zoe H.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Visitor

Please add back in this functionality. You have your fonts setup weird (ex. not 2, 3, 4... but 2, 8, 14 etc.) so it really makes it hard when working a design to function with mobile and desktop, or just match what you actually want the design to be. This has been noted before. I just wanted to add it a +1 (10000) for this feature. 

and yes, we can make custom html emails, but that is a poor solution when you used to have custom html in your previous editor. thanks for adding my name to the list of hopefuls. thanks!

Regular Visitor

The new editor needs HTML editing available. Period.

Outlook, as always, is a huge issue that you need control over HTML to really deal with.

The last line on this page:

https://knowledgebase.constantcontact.com/articles/KnowledgeBase/6754-image-and-table-gaps-in-outloo...

Literally says to edit HTML.

"If you're comfortable using HTML, insert your own breaks to space your content or add a style to automatically include a page break before each table row."

Valued Contributor

VERY GOOD POINT.

It's just nuts that this discussion has gone on for so long. Constant Contact needs to provide access to the html code. Just throw up a warning notice about how making changes may introduce coding that is not understood by all email clients, if you feel it is necessary. What are you afraid of really? It's not like we can force you to help us if such a problem is encountered. If we introduce new code and then call for help, you can tell us that you can't help in that situation. Period. The support people always told us that anyway if we wanted to make a change to the code.

Visitor

It would be very helpful to have this functionality. I'm relatively new to Constant Contact and was really surprised to learn that it is no longer included in this version of the editor. I have a background in web development, so the fact that one can't edit code is absolutely bizarre. I did some quick research and it seems users have been requesting this for over a year, but the same stock responses are being sent by CC without any idea of whether this feature will ever be reintroduced or not.

Give users a definitive answer either way. It's as simple as "We do not currently have plans to reintroduce HTML editing" or "Yes, we are planning to reintroduce HTML editing and will have it deployed by XX date." Giving the same reply "Your request will be routed to the product team" over and over again for over a year is simply a bad UX. 

I will be moving to  and suggest others to do the same.