Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTML in Third Generation Editor

Top Answer
Jared_M
CTCT Employee

Hello everyone,

Currently, in our Third Generation Editor we do not allow access to edit the HTML and have no immediate plans to do so. We want to provide our customers with the abilities to be able to use a user-friendly interface instead of having to rely on a code view to get their desired results. With all the feedback we have been collecting we are planning on making improvements to padding and adding some line spacing elements in the UI. I know this doesn’t solve all use cases, such as adding tables, but we will continue to make strides towards improving the editor.

I understand allowing HTML would increase the ability for more control of your content but it can also have a negative impact on your newsletter’s display in email clients.  If we provide access to HTML for every block, changing some of the default styles or content could break display when sent to an email client. Also being able to manually adjust width could have a negative effect. We have a team of amazing engineers constantly testing our templates in all email clients, so you can be certain your email displays consistently across the board. With that in mind, we want to make sure we make it easy to provide the best look and feel not only on the desktop but on mobile. With a majority of opens now leaning towards mobile over desktop we take that as a priority.

Please continue to let us know your thoughts on HTML and what exactly you're trying to do so even if we don't have HTML access we will be able to give you the tools to get your desired outcome.

Thanks,

Re: HTML in Third Generation Editor

ADD HTML please. It should be happening the next day since people are asking for it.

Hi @DeliaF0

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your feedback! I apologize for any inconvenience caused from not having this feature. I can definitely understand how having access to your email's HTML would be helpful. While we do not currently have a time estimate of when this will be available, I have submitted your feedback to our engineers and tracked this request in your account. 

Frankie.P
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.

I just tried Gen 3 editor today and not being able to edit the HTML is incredibly frustrating and I'll be switching back to Gen 2 editor. I agree the new editor is oversimplified. It's pretty and what's there is easy to use but lacks features. I'd like to see a way to add tables, have more control over styling options, and be able to insert custom coding. Even if these were implemented there should still always be a way to edit the HTML.

CTCT Employee

Hi @JoshuaG745,

Thanks for your feedback about our Third Generation Editor (3GE) and we're sorry for any frustrations. We appreciate hearing from you and I have forwarded your concerns to our programmers. We understand how a table feature and more styling control can be useful, and also having the ability to edit the HTML. In the meantime, I want to provide some helpful resources for using the new editor:

Moving from the Second-Generation Editor to the Third-Generation Editor
Help Overview: The Third-Generation Editor

If there's something we can help with in a particular email campaign that you're working on just let us know! 

Nichelle M

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.

Really do not understand why Constant Contact would take away functionality with the third generation editor.  Should be able to view the HTML language when using templates to at least be able to tweak things a bit.  Also, what happened to being able to add a table?  Seems to be going backwards in customer service!  Is this just a ploy to force people to pay more for CC to create customized templates?  Is it time for people to consider switching to other email marketing providers?

Highlighted
CTCT Employee

Hello everyone,

Currently, in our Third Generation Editor we do not allow access to edit the HTML and have no immediate plans to do so. We want to provide our customers with the abilities to be able to use a user-friendly interface instead of having to rely on a code view to get their desired results. With all the feedback we have been collecting we are planning on making improvements to padding and adding some line spacing elements in the UI. I know this doesn’t solve all use cases, such as adding tables, but we will continue to make strides towards improving the editor.

I understand allowing HTML would increase the ability for more control of your content but it can also have a negative impact on your newsletter’s display in email clients.  If we provide access to HTML for every block, changing some of the default styles or content could break display when sent to an email client. Also being able to manually adjust width could have a negative effect. We have a team of amazing engineers constantly testing our templates in all email clients, so you can be certain your email displays consistently across the board. With that in mind, we want to make sure we make it easy to provide the best look and feel not only on the desktop but on mobile. With a majority of opens now leaning towards mobile over desktop we take that as a priority.

Please continue to let us know your thoughts on HTML and what exactly you're trying to do so even if we don't have HTML access we will be able to give you the tools to get your desired outcome.

Thanks,

Jared M.
Product Manager
Occasional Participant

"but it can also have a negative impact on your newsletter’s display in email clients."

Don't you all literally charge us for inbox previews, though? I mean... if we don't have to worry about the display in email clients, then the previews should be free across the board. 

All Star

Thanks for finally being straight with us. That said, here is one (of many) issue I have with the lack of access to HTML:

In our emails, we frequently copy the style, layout, and content of one block in a previously sent email into a new email. I achieve this in the old editor by simply making a copy of the old email campaign, opening the HTML view on the block I wish to replicate, selecting all, copying to the clipboard, and then closing that copied campaign (without saving so that it's deleted because now I'm done with the copy), then going into my new email campaign I'm creating and pasting the HTML code into a new content block. I actually have several Notes files where I just keep the HTML code for my most frequently used types of content blocks, so I can just grab the code, paste it in, and then change the text or images as needed in the editor.

It isn't a solution to simply copy the whole campaign, because I may be combining content blocks from several previous emails, and/or copying a content block from a campaign we sent a year ago and, in the time since, many other elements of our campaign look and feel have changed. I'll give you a scenario:

Let's say, every summer we hold an annual event. How about an ice cream social that's in late July. In early May, I send a campaign containing a block with a save-the-date for the ice cream social. Then I don't mention the ice cream social for the next several campaigns. Mid-June, I send a campaign mentioning the ice cream social again now that tickets are on sale, so I just copy the block HTML from my early May email and add the new ticket info. Then I mention it in every campaign up until the event. Then summer turns to fall, fall turns to winter, and then at the beginning of the new year we freshen up our branding with a tweaked email campaign layout, some changes to our header and footer, etc. Time continues to pass and here we are again in May, planning our annual ice cream social. To save time, I want to just reuse last year's ice cream social marketing (same image, description, etc.). So I find the previous May email (now a year old) in my past campaigns, copy the HTML from the ice cream social block, and paste it into my new email, change the date, and VOILA! – now my campaign has our current branding with the new header and footer, the other current news, and the ice cream social info.

I don't see how to do this without accessing the HTML, but here's a potential solution: Let us save content blocks to a library, the way we can save images, so that as we are building campaigns, we can simply insert content blocks from other campaigns into our new campaign without having to build them from scratch anytime we aren't copying an entire campaign.

In other words, if you can find a way to let us copy various elements from multiple different campaigns into one new campaign, that would make me a lot less hesitant to switch to the 3rd generation editor. I want to be able to copy a block from Campaign A and a block from Campaign B and put both into Campaign C.

I'd be happy to give other examples or further clarify if you have any questions about how I use HTML. I really hope you find a way to incorporate this functionality if you don't plan to let us access HTML in the future. 

Thanks for listening and considering this request.

- Emily

CTCT Employee

Hello @EmilyD85

It's great to see you in the Community! Thank you providing such thorough feedback on the Third-Generation Editor. It is feedback from customers such as your self that helps guide our decisions for adding features in. Also, thank you for providing so many examples of how having HTML code in the editor would be useful for you and other customers.

I also love your idea about being able to save content blocks to the library. I could see this being a potentially great idea. 

I am happy to track all of the feedback you provided and send it to the appropriate teams. Please continue to provide us with any feedback you thing will help us improve our products and services.

Have a wonderful rest of your day!

Alex S.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Valued Contributor

I'm afraid I can't be as polite as Emily was in her reply to this comment. At least someone is finally admitting what most of us writing in this topic have realized for some time which is that CC has NO plans to restore the ability to view and edit html in the content blocks. Emily's idea of a content block library is a great one, and I totally endorse it and would find it extremely useful. But it would not be the start and end of what I would like to use html for. I have written those thoughts many times in this thread, so I hope they have been monitored by whoever is actually doing the work of "further refining" I don't feel like I should have to reiterate them again in response to this latest post. I do want to add, however, that I find the idea that by doing this you are improving the mobile version of emails since I have experienced a number of things you are doing that are extremely problematic for us in the mobile version, including that you have decided that every image should run edge to edge in the mobile version, even though it is not that way in the desktop version.. We should at least be able to set a maximum width for the image when displayed in mobile! Because of things like this, I find it laughable that CC thinks it is giving its customers the "best look" for their subscribers who view the mobile version.