Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTML in Third Generation Editor

Top Answer
Jared_M
CTCT Employee

Hello everyone,

Currently, in our Third Generation Editor we do not allow access to edit the HTML and have no immediate plans to do so. We want to provide our customers with the abilities to be able to use a user-friendly interface instead of having to rely on a code view to get their desired results. With all the feedback we have been collecting we are planning on making improvements to padding and adding some line spacing elements in the UI. I know this doesn’t solve all use cases, such as adding tables, but we will continue to make strides towards improving the editor.

I understand allowing HTML would increase the ability for more control of your content but it can also have a negative impact on your newsletter’s display in email clients.  If we provide access to HTML for every block, changing some of the default styles or content could break display when sent to an email client. Also being able to manually adjust width could have a negative effect. We have a team of amazing engineers constantly testing our templates in all email clients, so you can be certain your email displays consistently across the board. With that in mind, we want to make sure we make it easy to provide the best look and feel not only on the desktop but on mobile. With a majority of opens now leaning towards mobile over desktop we take that as a priority.

Please continue to let us know your thoughts on HTML and what exactly you're trying to do so even if we don't have HTML access we will be able to give you the tools to get your desired outcome.

Thanks,

Advisor

Re: Editing HTML in third generation editor

You can fully edit code in the new editor. It was my mistake! I write all my code from scratch for most of my newsletters, and it works just fine. 

Tags (2)

Hi @hvhibiscus 

We're happy to hear how well you are using our custom code emails. With that said, to prevent any possible confusion, we would like to clarify for other users that HTML access is only available in our Advanced Editor. Our Newsletter Emails do not offer HTML access in them.

Frankie.P
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
CTCT Employee

@JuliaD56 

Thank you for reaching out to the Community! I apologize for the inconvenience but we are not implementing HTML into the Third Generation editing system yet. The editor is designed to be mobile responsive so those layouts will create a stacked effect, making it easier for your contacts to read and go to your desired page. What integrations are you looking to connect with? I would be more than happy to track this feedback on your account for our engineers to review. Again, I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. 

Mary S.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.

Re: HTML in Third Generation Editor

Re: "I understand allowing HTML would increase the ability for more control of your content but it can also have a negative impact on your newsletter’s display in email clients. If we provide access to HTML for every block, changing some of the default styles or content could break display when sent to an email client.

This is BAD logic... We are all professionals on here, so it's insulting to know that CC doesn't think its users can be trusted to edit a template without breaking it. And if we do break our templates, it is on US to fix them... that's why we test before deployment. 

I've read through this thread and am debating whether to convert from trial to Pro because no html access is probably going to be a dealbreaker for me... here's why: 

• I like the templates for the structure and because the responsive rules are already built in. But I need to be able to tweak them to follow company branding guidelines... that means there is no flexibility with colors, fonts, pics, buttons, and other elements. 
  • If the boss wants something changed/ edited in a message, I need to be able to change it. Saying "Sorry, CC won't let me change that" is not going to fly.  
  • It's impossible to design a correctly sized image if there's no way to see the dimensions in a template... A content box that automatically resizes images makes for skewed pics and a sloppy email
  • Not being able to edit templates means that there are literally innumerable others sending a message with the exact look and feel... So essentially, companies look like they are plagiarizing each other when they send messages through your system.  

Instead of focusing on what your system developers want, perhaps it's time to adopt a customer-centric frame of mind and give us the tools/functionality that WE want. Because at the end of the day, it's the marketers using this platform... not the developers. And we're not children who need a "dummied down" tool. 

Valued Contributor

It's interesting the comment from JenniferB8666 saying "it's on us" if we break the template. Back in the 2nd generation tools, where we actually were allowed partial html access, if you talked to support about editing the html code they would kinda say hands off and can't help you any more. So what's the difference now? Just do the same thing, Constant Contact.

But even in the 2nd gen, you couldn't edit the full template--unless you were using one that only had one bit block. The margins between copy blocks were always inaccessible. And I suspect that even if CC gives us some access to the html code within the blocks, the controls between blocks will still be out of reach.

I realize it may require more sophisticated programming, but I am sure they could give us access to, say, padding between block elements, if they wanted to. And if not, then at least make it smaller. There is just way too much space between elements.

I know at least some of CC's competitors are doing this same thing, even though they offer some html access within their copy blocks. So maybe they think it's fine, since others are doing it.

I'm pretty sure this will be deleted from the forum, but at least everyone following this thread will get an email about it... Since the developers don't believe we, the marketers, are competent enough to edit the html of our own emails (and they have no plans to offer us that option), they are forcing us to look to other platforms for a solution. I found a responsive template builder that is drag & drop, has the ability to edit the html, and that we can export into Constant Contact for FREE. 

To the support team providing feedback to the developers-- Please let them know that removing a functionality DOES NOT make the need go away. They are simply forcing us to seek other email builders.

Agreed. And when trying "Paste and Match Style" it only keeps the source text forcing me to laboriously type everything out. Not having HTML makes this process terribly inefficient. I'm encouraging my client to switch to MailChimp which has a much more intuitive and useful interface.

Highlighted
CTCT Employee

Hello @RobinP06121,

We do completely understand what you are going through, and you can still copy and paste your text into your email and change the font from inside so you do not have to type anything out manually. Your emails need to look professional and mobile responsive, and if you need additional help editing your emails you can always contact us here or give our Support team a call! 

Zoe H.

Valued Contributor

Don't jump to the conclusion that will work without testing! I have heard that the HTML editor interface with  often hangs up and doesn't let you do your edits in the spot where you place your cursor (it just jumps around). If they don't fix that glitch, the html access is inconsistent at best.

Visitor

One of the things I liked about Constant Contact was the ability to work with the html code if necessary. It's disappointing that you dumbed it down.