Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTML in Third Generation Editor

Top Answer
Jared_M
CTCT Employee

Hello everyone,

Currently, in our Third Generation Editor we do not allow access to edit the HTML and have no immediate plans to do so. We want to provide our customers with the abilities to be able to use a user-friendly interface instead of having to rely on a code view to get their desired results. With all the feedback we have been collecting we are planning on making improvements to padding and adding some line spacing elements in the UI. I know this doesn’t solve all use cases, such as adding tables, but we will continue to make strides towards improving the editor.

I understand allowing HTML would increase the ability for more control of your content but it can also have a negative impact on your newsletter’s display in email clients.  If we provide access to HTML for every block, changing some of the default styles or content could break display when sent to an email client. Also being able to manually adjust width could have a negative effect. We have a team of amazing engineers constantly testing our templates in all email clients, so you can be certain your email displays consistently across the board. With that in mind, we want to make sure we make it easy to provide the best look and feel not only on the desktop but on mobile. With a majority of opens now leaning towards mobile over desktop we take that as a priority.

Please continue to let us know your thoughts on HTML and what exactly you're trying to do so even if we don't have HTML access we will be able to give you the tools to get your desired outcome.

Thanks,

Re: Editing HTML in third generation editor

Hi @hvhibiscus 

We're happy to hear how well you are using our custom code emails. With that said, to prevent any possible confusion, we would like to clarify for other users that HTML access is only available in our Advanced Editor. Our Newsletter Emails do not offer HTML access in them.

Frankie P.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
CTCT Employee

Re: Editing HTML in third generation editor

@JuliaD56 

Thank you for reaching out to the Community! I apologize for the inconvenience but we are not implementing HTML into the Third Generation editing system yet. The editor is designed to be mobile responsive so those layouts will create a stacked effect, making it easier for your contacts to read and go to your desired page. What integrations are you looking to connect with? I would be more than happy to track this feedback on your account for our engineers to review. Again, I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. 

Mary S

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Visitor

Re: HTML in Third Generation Editor

One of the things I liked about Constant Contact was the ability to work with the html code if necessary. It's disappointing that you dumbed it down.

Valued Contributor

I totally agree. Lack of access to the html editor is one of the main reasons I have, for the most part, stuck with the old editor. I understand you are trying to make it easier for people to work without html, but sometimes there is just something that is easier to "fix" by accessing the code.

CTCT Employee

@JulieL34

We really appreciate your specific feedback on how this feature can be improved. It's great insight for our developers to review as they map out future updates for the product. I have tracked it in your account for them to see. I also encourage you to check out our Feedback area of the Community where you can post any additional feedback you have and chime in with other customers sharing their ideas.

Taryn Leinweber

Yes. I would agree it is oversimplified for someone who has a design background... which many marketers do.

Designers prefer to have control over design... 13 point may fit better... and extra invisible character at 5 point may be just what's needed.

Right?

CTCT Employee

Hi @SabrinaE2,

Thanks for reaching out about our Third Generation Editor! We appreciate your feedback about designers having a bit more control over the design and especially the font sizing. I have passed along your feedback to our developers. Please let us know if you encounter any other features that you'd like to see in our new editor!

Nichelle M

Occasional Visitor

I find it very odd that I can reply to a message in your community with all the options I want to see in the Constant Contact Editor, but don't have access to those features where I really need them.  The current editor is much to simplified and does not allow me enough customization to appropriately address my customer's branding guidelines.  I cannot change styles of certain components without effecting the same type of component throughout the email.  I have used Constant Contact on and off for years for different customers, but I am now unable to continue to use it.  I am having to go with another product to meet my needs.  Very unfortunate, but with the minimalist version of the editor and without the ability to access the HTML, I am left with no other option.  I understand the benefits of the new editor, but it would be much better if you could turn on the additional features of the old editors in your account or something.

CTCT Employee

Hi @TonyaK23,

We're sorry to see you go but we do value your comments and feedback about accessing the HTML in our new editor. As such we understand your concerns about branding requirements and changing styles, and have submitted your concerns to the appropriate team.

Nichelle M

I also need access to HTML. Primarily, I use it to copy/paste blocks from one email campaign into another campaign. Our monthly newsletters often have a few roll-over items each month, rather than redo each section, I would previously open the HTML for the block, copy, then open the new email, add a blank block, open that HTML and paste. Waaay faster than having to redo the whole block. 

As it is, I don't think there is any way for me to do copy blocks between campaigns.