cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

More formatting issues in 3rd Gen editor

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

More formatting issues in 3rd Gen editor

I have recently migrated from the 2nd Gen editor, which I used for several years. I really bemoan the loss of control in 3rd Gen, but am getting learning to cope. I am most frustrated by two issues:

1. I used to be able to paste unformatted text into a message and it would assume the currently-set style (font, size, etc.). Now it assumes some arbitrary format. The worst thing is that my template has some features (e.g. 15-pt type) that aren't available on the pull-downs, so the only way I have to enter type in that desired format is to type it in! Why can't I have selectable styles? Why can't I at least paste unformatted text and have it assume the existing font/size/etc.?

2. Line spacing can change between the editing window and a sent preview or email. That is infuriating, and browsing around community messages today I see there have been complaints about this for years! I have one feature in my emails that uses 1.5 line spacing. Yes, I see how to set that, and it looks fine in the editor. But a sent preview or email mushes it down so the text looks all crowded. 

I am using a Macbook Pro with Chrome for editing, and Thunderbird for email. Viewing the same email on my iPhone in Mail, the line spacing looks ok. The crowding also occurs on PCs using Outlook, which is a great part of my user base, so I want those to look good! 

Thanks,

Elizabeth

3 REPLIES 3
CTCT Employee

Re: More formatting issues in 3rd Gen editor

Hello @ShawnR55,

Thank you for reaching out with this feedback! Regarding the formatting of your text, a lot of text is pastable into Constant Contact, unless the source it's being pasted from isn't compatible with email formatting. In this case, we recommend copying your text into Notepad (PC) or TextEdit (Mac). Then you can copy from those tools and paste into Constant Contact. You will lose your formatting and have to re-style it but then you won't have to type everything in manually. The new editor's font size is also based on pixel size instead of point size, which is why you won't see some options such as 15 point. The line spacing will also only change with text pasted in, because of formatting that's being pulled over. The above workaround will fix that issue for you as well!

Amber_L
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Occasional Contributor

Thank you, Amber_L. It would really make things much easier if the editor would allow pasted-in plain text to assume the "current style" so we wouldn't have to format everything we paste. The previous editor worked that way, and it was very convenient. In general, 3rd Gen is much less flexible and harder to use.

My other issue was the rendering of text (especially line spacing) which seems to vary depending on the receiving email program (e.g., Outlook, Thunderbird). That kind of incompatibility should be something you could solve at least for the very widely used email clients, just as you manage to work with the most popular web clients.

Tags (1)

Hi @ShawnR55 

Thank you for following up with these details. I can understand how important it is to easily copy and paste text into your email campaigns. I apologize you have to reformat this text once it's been added and have submitted this feedback in your account. I also would suggest editing the global text styles in the template to match. Doing this allows you to not having to reformat everything as the default font will already match.

As for how your text is rendering in your email client, what exactly is happening? What version of Outlook or Thunderbird are you using? We try to be compatible with all major email clients. Having these details along with any screenshots you may have for further troubleshooting.

Frankie.P
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.