cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Due to an issue with YouTube, inserting videos in your emails is showing an error. Until they are able to resolve this issue, we recommend using a different video hosting service. We will continue to monitor this outage and update you as we have more information.

Third Generation fomatting of Email address links

Occasional Participant

Third Generation fomatting of Email address links

OK. I give up.  Is there a way to format email hot links (e.g. with blue underlined text) besides having to go back and do manually it after creating the email link?   In the prior generation composer, you could easily do it on the fly when creating the email link. Then subsequent additional email links in that session would use that same formatting. Third-Gen won't let me format it except asyet another step (to go back and format the link).  Or am I missing something?

Or is this another Third-Gen reduction in "ease of use" issue (e.g. You now have to resort to a second step to add complicated HTML coding to add a Subject or Body text to an email link. The older generation had a simple "option" box to do it.  Also, third-gen doesn't support tables!)

Yes, this is both a Third-Gen question and a complaint.

Tags (2)
11 REPLIES 11
CTCT Employee

Re: Third Generation fomatting of Email address links

Hello @VMC_Email-Manager,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community! We completely understand how important this is for saving time. Please take a look at our great article on how to style your links from the Global Settings in the display tab. We also left tables out of our new editing system because they are unfortunately not mobile responsive. I apologize for the inconvenience.  Thank you and have a wonderful day! 

Zoe H.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Occasional Participant

The answer is a non-answer.  It's still an irritating  two step process -- First create the link, then go back and re-format the text (I just use the composition's font editor).   Plus, the tutorial about the using the Global formatting doesn't seem to work for me.  Not sure how to impose those global settings into the email.  For instance, under the Compostion font selector, there should perhpas be a "use Global font settings" or something like that.  Plus the Global thing still appears to be a needed second step for what used to be a  one step process.

Sorry, but the Third-Gen composer is a step backwards.  

CTCT Employee

Hello @VMC_Email-Manager

I'm glad you've followed up in the Community and provided us with your feedback about our 3rd Generation Editor. I'm happy to help you today. Based on what you have described, it sounds like you may be pasting text from your email from another source such as a Word Document. What you can do when pasting in to the text box is right click and choose paste as plain text or CTRL+Shift + V. Using either of these options will paste the text in minus any formatting and your text will be in the format of your design tab. 

Once again, thanks for your feedback. Please reach back out to us if you have any further questions or concerns. 

Thanks!

Alex S.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Occasional Participant

No, I'm not pasting from word.  Just typing in an email address (or text for a URL, or text for Library Document link) and want to make that hot link text be formatted, by default, as  blue/underline/bold.  No can do.  Have to do a two step process to get it done -- first create the link then go back, highlight it and reformat the text.  Unlike the prior generation compose mode where all that it was so easy to do when creating the link.  Again, maybe I'm missing something.  How to effectivley use the "Global" formats is a mystery.

CTCT Employee

@VMC_Email-Manager Hello and thank you for reaching out to the Community!

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulty with formatting your links.

One suggestion to help avoid a two-step process on formatting your links is to set your global link formatting before adding your links to your template. This will apply the style you have chosen for the link color, font, and font size. The global text style options even let you remove underlines from your links!

You can also edit and change individual links to make them stand out. Changes made through the text editor override global styles and won't change when the global styles are changed.

We do appreciate your suggestions and we are always happy to help!

Mary S.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Occasional Participant

Okay. I'm a dog on a bone, here. I have a template which I copy to start new messages. In the design tab I have set fonts for text and for links. But when I create a new link in the text editor in the new message, it does NOT go to the fonts specified in the Design payne. What am I doing wrong?
CTCT Employee

Hello @VMC_Email-Manager,

I apologize for the inconvenience, but if you have already edited the font in the block previously it will not pick up what is in the Global Font area under the Design tab. The Global Fonts will have to be updated before you start updating the font in a block. 

Zoe H.

Occasional Participant

Oh. That was never mentioned as a pre-requisite to have the Global settings work.   Got it now.  Had to delete my old template's opening text block.  Then be sure the Global settings were what I wanted, THEN create a new opening text block. After that fix, new next and new links were appropriate formatted.   (Then I deleted the old template and use the new one going forward.)

Thanks for sticking with me. Problem solved.

CTCT Employee

HI @VMC_Email-Manager,

So glad you were able to resolve the issue!

If you have any further questions please feel free to reach out to us here. We are always happy to assist you in any way we can!

Donna_P.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Tags (1)