RFMoeller
Campaign Collaborator

Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to craft an opt-in form that assigns tags to a user when they sign up. I want to tag a user different depending on where they are on my site when they sign up. I can handle that side of the logic without any problem, but the actual syntax or hidden fields I need to pass in order to do this, I haven't had any luck finding.

I called Constant Contact Support, and they sent me here ;). Tried to search through the forum archives, but didn't find anything.

Anyone know if this is possible?

Edit: FYI my platform is Wordpress + Gravity Forms w/ Constant Contact support, but open to using 3rd party plugins that can do this. Also fine with writing my own plugin if need be.

Best/Ian

16 REPLIES 16
DaveBerard
Employee

Hi Ian,

Great suggestion.  Unfortunately, at this time we don't have the ability to tag contacts through either the basic Join My Mailing List forms in your account or through the API in custom signup form solutions.  We are planning on adding tags to the API over the summer and you should see updates to the API with that functionality on our release notes.  At this point, we do not have plans to add that to the Join My Mailing List forms but I will pass that feedback on.

Just to make sure what the API means is that you would need to code in a server side language, such as PHP, a custom signup form using our API directly and it would not be as simple as form parameters.  If this solution doesn't sound like something you'd be comfortable using, you're best option is to wait to see if this is added to our Join My Mailing List app.

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact
RFMoeller
Campaign Collaborator

Wow, do pepole really even use tags then? Pretty strange that Constant Contact impelmented tags but only gives you the opportunity to tag after the fact, once you have lost track of the customers intention. You could opt them into another list, but that's a one dimensional solution, can't apply multiple tags.

Anyway, yes I'm comfortable with creating a form via the API using PHP. Is there some announcement list I can be put on so I know when this feature is out?

Thanks

DaveBerard
Employee

Great question.  Tags are very new to Constant Contact.  In fact, not all of our customers even have them yet as we are not finished migrating our customers to our new Contact Management platform.  As such, not all of our products are able to expose tags to customers since not all customers have them available to them. 

As we are finishing up migrating accounts we are planning to release these new Contact Management features to products available to all customers, such as the API.  Will definitely pass along that feedback about the Join My Mailing List to that team.  I'm not sure what their plans are but will update with any feedback I get and am able to share.

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact
MatthewS473
Constant Contact Partner

Is there any update to the status of tags via the API? 

MatthewS473
Constant Contact Partner
0 Votes

Any update on this? Have a client looking to implement.....

Elijah_G
Marketing Legend
0 Votes

Hello,

I have checked on the status of this and while this is a targeted feature for our APIs, we currently do not have a timeline for when this will be available. In order for this functionality to become available in the API, there is some other development that will need tobe done by other teams as well. Because of this, we are not currently able to specify a timeframe for when this will be available through the APIs.

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
SteveP69
Rookie
0 Votes

Is this possible yet?

Elijah_G
Marketing Legend
0 Votes

Hello,

Thank you for following up on this! We've had a number of priorities that were shifted over the last year, but we have come back around on the support for tags and other contact management features that were unavailable in our API. While tag support is not currently available on the API, we are working on a major update for our API offering that will include this and some other missing features in the near future. 

To stay up to date, you can follow our tech blog (http://techblog.constantcontact.com/) and/or subscribe to our developer newsletter which is on the right-hand side of the tech blog.

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
imru
Marketing Legend

Was this ever implemented?

Jimmy_D
Employee

Hi @imru,

I can tell you that this feature will be part of our v3 API; however that has not yet been released. We will be announcing it soon, but I do not have a date right now.

Regards,
Jimmy D.
Tier II API Support Engineer
imru
Marketing Legend
0 Votes

Great just as i'm developing to v2...haha (such is life).  No worries, thanks Jimmy!!

Jimmy_D
Employee

Hi @imru,

We are doing what we can to make the transition as easy as possible. There will of course be some things that are not easy to move over, but we will try to make it smooth if we can.

Regards,
Jimmy D.
JeffreyC439
Rookie

Was this ever implemented? Seems very limiting if not since all the other major email providers offer this. I'm trying to implement integration between Gravity Forms and CC and would like to tag the audience vs create a new list. 

David_B.
Employee
0 Votes

Hello,

We do still have plans to bring support for Tags to our V3 API, though it is not yet released. In the meantime, we recommend using custom fields which can be used in the website UI to create custom segments separate from lists. See this link for more details about segments: http://knowledgebase.constantcontact.com/articles/KnowledgeBase/25205-Define-Your-Own-List-Segments

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Regards,

David B.

JosephG751
Rookie

Is there support for tags yet?  I'm curious if there is way to import all the survey responses in a sign up that I run on Typeform.  Currently, results get dumped to a google sheet and I use Zapier to add a Contact.  None of the other info gets imported so I have a ton of useless tags and con't sort my contacts in Constant Contact.  

Courtney_E
Employee
0 Votes

Thank you for reaching out to Constant Contact API Developer Support and for your patience. My team is here to assist outside software developers with questions about building into Constant Contact's API.

We're still in the process of rolling out new endpoints for Tags support in the V3 API.

It looks like a bulk activity endpoint to remove Tags has been published, but as of just yet, there is no bulk endpoint for adding Tags:
https://developer.constantcontact.com/api_reference/index.html#!/Bulk_Activities/postTagRemoveContac...

There are also Tag capabilities in the body schema for creating or updating an individual contact, but none for the sign_up_form endpoint currently:
https://developer.constantcontact.com/api_guide/tags_overview.html

We look forward to making new endpoints available for Tags. You can keep up to date on the latest available V3 endpoints here:
https://developer.constantcontact.com/api_guide/release_notes.html

Regards,

Courtney E.

Did I answer your question?
If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.
Resources
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Announcements

API Updates

Join our list to be notified of new features and updates to our V3 API.