Looking for the latest product updates? What's new for Spring 2024 is now available!

Adding Tables to 3rd Generation

We had a thread about adding tables to third generation emails but a moderator closed it saying now that we can use 5 columns that should solve the problem.

Guess what, it does not come close to solving the problem. There is no way to line up text except tables. adding columns does not work because the columns will not always display side by side.

Top Answer
Chris__D
Employee

Hey @BONNIER52, thanks for your feedback. In our newest editor, we have a block that offers up to 5 side by side text or image blocks. This allows users to create a table-like block, however, we're looking to hear how we can make this block better. What content are you trying to add into your campaign that requires a table? 

The reason we don't have an actual table block is due to tables breaking the mobile responsive design of the template and with over 50% of users opening their emails on a mobile device, it's very important that we create solutions that work for both mobile and desktop viewers. Knowing how you use tables will allow us to look into ways we can make our editor even more useful. 

Top Answer
Caitlin_M
Administrator

With the introduction of our cross-device editor, tables can be added to a campaign.

When viewed on a mobile device, your table won’t resize to fit the screen. If your table is wider than the screen, contacts will need to scroll horizontally to see the full table. Testing is especially important when using a table so you can experience what your contacts will see.

64 Comments

Tables are vital for communicating a lot of information. The image substitute doesn't cut it, and using columns doesn't translate when viewing in mobile. Tables really are necessary.

SCDE
Rookie

We need tables! Make Constant Contact GREAT AGAIN!

KeithB672
Campaign Collaborator

It's 2020, and still no capability to make tables.

Sad.

HeatherO61
Brand Visionary

Please put tables back in as an option in the new formats. Also, vertical dividers would be great too.

CameronB16
Rookie

Please add tables

HatibP
Rookie
Need the ability to transfer a table from an excel into a campaign email document
JaneF495
Rookie

I must say the fact that you can't use even basic tables in the email template sucks.  Using side-by-side columns is NOT a solution since they don't always line up.  And having to create a table elsewhere and insert an image of it is so backwards.  Very cumbersome and time-consuming, particularly if you end up making changes to the table, then you have go through the process all over again.  Such basic functionality too.  Maddening.  Previous versions of CC templates allowed templates.  Why are we going backwards???

davjohnson
Brand Influencer

Not sure if I already posted this here...

Need for clickable table of contents

I desperately need to be able to have a clickable table of contents in the newsletter I have been sending out for more than 10 years. My newsletter contains 30 or so articles that for ease of navigation require a table of contents that the reader can easily use for navigation. Nothing remotely complicated about anything else is a purely text newsletter

The 3rd generation editor apparently does not permit this. I desperately need it. Please find a workable solution. Or permit use of "old" 2nd generation templates.

I would also say that people reading my newsletter on mobile devices CAN use the newsletter. And the newsletter gets thru to gmail and other accounts, contrary to Constant Contacts claim that newsletters with anchor links are rejected.

IvanR
Marketing Legend

Same for me.  Suddently (without notice) deleting functionality is not OK.  I'm not sure for whom the "new system" was designed, but it wasn't for the frequent users.

davjohnson
Brand Influencer

With further research I see that this problem that I only discovered a couple weeks ago has been raised with Constant Contact a number of times. With no solution forthcoming. I can't believe that a clickable Table of Contents is not in high demand. Its absence destroys the utility of my newsletter (Johnson's Russia List) that I have sent out thru Constant Contact to thousands of recipients for more than 10 years. At this point I may try to switch to Mailchimp or some other service. Why can't CC just let "old timers" keep using the old ways if we insist. Let the "improvements" go for those who don't mind the change. I just need to be able to continue to "copy" my old template.

Updates
Introducing our new Feedback area

Our Feedback board is changing! From updated statuses to clearer processes, we're working to improve the conversation between you and our Product teams

Visit the Blog
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST
Announcements
What's New?

See the latest Constant Contact product release notes and updates.

Learn More